Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

I'm A Brit...Get Me Out of Here !

I'm A Brit...Get Me Out of Here !

Old Aug 28th 2004, 12:21 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm A Brit...Get Me Out of Here !

Originally Posted by Bob
That's a fair point...
oh well

I think becs just did a search for sweden & answered anything about sweden!!!
Old Aug 29th 2004, 1:05 am
GO PUMAS!!

aussimex is on a distinguished road

Hi Cally, there is a series of books called "Choose Mexico", by John Howells. I know in most states in Mexico where there is a european community settled, there will be a British School (at least by name!). Mexico is beautiful and people so friendly...luckily for you just being able to speak English might get you a job, but anyhow, the book is intresting reading.
Best wishes.
Aussimex
Old Sep 29th 2004, 8:17 am
Just Joined

outsourced is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, sounds like you aren’t going to be happy anywhere. Are all British/English citizens so fussy and flippant about where they live? I’m a Canadian and I bust my bum to work where I live and I just suck it up.

I guess some people born with a silver spoon just can’t handle the hardship that comes with living in another culture and country. Hey, here’s an idea, you could just stay where you are and save us the bloody complaining. Or better yet, I hear property is pretty darn cheap in Iraq.
Old Oct 12th 2004, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Lyanne79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: I'm A Brit...Get Me Out of Here !

Hey there,
Go to Stockholm, I was there for a couple of weeks and Im dying to go back. Ive been doing some research and the lifestyle there is great, plus theres no probs being EU citizens. You must learn the language though, its a requirement for most jobs although everyone talks english there.
Im from Gibraltar and many Brits come here for a change of lifestyle, great weather, safety, no stress, tranquility etc, so theres an idea, but then again, I cant wait to leave the place......it can become a little claustrophobic at times.
Good luck

Lyanne
Old Oct 13th 2004, 3:36 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by outsourced
Wow, sounds like you aren’t going to be happy anywhere. Are all British/English citizens so fussy and flippant about where they live? I’m a Canadian and I bust my bum to work where I live and I just suck it up.

I guess some people born with a silver spoon just can’t handle the hardship that comes with living in another culture and country. Hey, here’s an idea, you could just stay where you are and save us the bloody complaining. Or better yet, I hear property is pretty darn cheap in Iraq.
Politics of envy, a truly international disease.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

You’re right, it’s envy. I wish I could be a whining little twit that can complain about everything. You whiny expats are the kind that go to other countries and want to complain that it’s not like Britain -and yet you left because you “hated� it. You look down on the locals like the British did in their formal years of colonization. Envy, no stupid, it’s called disgust. So, go on to the south of Spain and wade out in the beaches with your glowing cellulose fat thighs stuffed into those garish bikinis, whilst the poor locals are reeling from retinal damage of all that sun reflecting off the pot bellies and thunder thighs.

Well…let’s see. I’m like a millionaire in the Czech Republic, should I go there? No, they speak Czech. Bloody hell. where to….Oh, I could go to Scandinavia. No, it’s too cold. Oh, blimy…where can I go…I’m just an over bloated Brit with too much inheritance. Work…Oh, no, how proletarian. My goodness, become one of the natives and work in their country…simply beneath me!!
Old Oct 15th 2004, 12:25 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

You’re right, it’s envy. I wish I could be a whining little twit that can complain about everything. You whiny expats are the kind that go to other countries and want to complain that it’s not like Britain -and yet you left because you “hated� it. You look down on the locals like the British did in their formal years of colonization. Envy, no stupid, it’s called disgust. So, go on to the south of Spain and wade out in the beaches with your glowing cellulose fat thighs stuffed into those garish bikinis, whilst the poor locals are reeling from retinal damage of all that sun reflecting off the pot bellies and thunder thighs.

Well…let’s see. I’m like a millionaire in the Czech Republic, should I go there? No, they speak Czech. Bloody hell. where to….Oh, I could go to Scandinavia. No, it’s too cold. Oh, blimy…where can I go…I’m just an over bloated Brit with too much inheritance. Work…Oh, no, how proletarian. My goodness, become one of the natives and work in their country…simply beneath me!!
the sad thing is, you've hit the nail on the head right there. for some people at least. Not all.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 12:05 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
the sad thing is, you've hit the nail on the head right there. for some people at least. Not all.

All I see is that I hit the nail on the head in the first place. Or is it ok to jump on someone just because they can afford to emigrate?

As for the rest of his dribble. Well, small minded assumptions. Shouldn't assume that all expats are the same.

Can't imagine that many of the expats on here are represented by anything he/she posted. Or should we just agree with him while stepping back with a 'not me of course, just the rest of them' comment?

What I should say is this forum is surely big enough to carry a few small minds.

California Bride (child of two generations of immigration to the UK, ex colony descendant, never been to Spain, etc etc).
Old Oct 20th 2004, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Angry Re: I'm A Brit...Get Me Out of Here !

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Or is it ok to jump on someone just because they can afford to emigrate?
Well, CaliforniaBride, I believe your hammer missed and hit you in the head!

First, you are the proud holder of a small mind because the whole premise of emigrating with money is to take advantage of a poorer society and exploit it to your gain. That insensitivity is what evokes jealousy and hatred amongst cultures. I for one, moved because I’m married to a lady in another country. And yes, there are people who emigrate with more culturally sensitive ideas in mind.

I shouldn’t pick on the Brits, as I’ve seen this with the Yanks in their gated communities in Mexico and the Canadians in Costa Rica. The point is, I simply disagree with your lack of cultural understanding. You think that having MONEY is license to do what the heck you want??? Lady, you are part and parcel of the growing problem in America, with a divide of rich and poor not seen since the Great Depression.

You’d better learn that tolerance is the modicum of operandi for emigration. Really, you’re just a waste of time. Go stuff yourself with a steak and lobster in LA while the poor Mexican kids on the East side are joining gangs for want of money. You’ll be put in your place someday….I’m sure of that.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 10:59 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

....Really, you’re just a waste of time.
Ditto. Go and have a bad/day/year/life somewhere else.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 7:24 pm
Scuffer

Scuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Ditto. Go and have a bad/day/year/life somewhere else.
You seem to be taking a bit of a verbal hiding over the months.
I can (during the winter months at least) understand some of your loathing.
If dear old blighty were such a god awful place to live (and I will concede there are areas which fit that description) Why is half the world trying to get in from some of the countries that others on this post are suggesting you consider?
Is the unhappiness you seem to be experiencing from within and not necessarily location relevent?
I have had the opportunity to travel/live/work in a large slice of our planet and am well aware of the "Horses for courses" syndrome.
For example, my wife and I (She's American) have live in California and Florida and in general would not swap our life here if blighty for them again.
On the other hand we met Brits who were very happy with their lot in both places. Cyprus was wonderful but......
Malaysia had more neg than pos.
Perhaps you can start making a list of what you want out of life and then find a location which offers most. I doubt you will find anywhere which will cover all requirements, Shangri-la this planet is not.
Take prolonged hols in as many places as you can afford to and use those experiences in finding what is right for you. Why settle for one area? In Europe you can choose from the North in the summer to the South in the winter, with no real migration restrictions. For instance, a Baltic city in the summer and Sicily for the winter.
Good luck with you search.
Good luck to you.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 9:34 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Scuffer
You seem to be taking a bit of a verbal hiding over the months.
I can (during the winter months at least) understand some of your loathing.
If dear old blighty were such a god awful place to live (and I will concede there are areas which fit that description) Why is half the world trying to get in from some of the countries that others on this post are suggesting you consider?
Is the unhappiness you seem to be experiencing from within and not necessarily location relevent?
I have had the opportunity to travel/live/work in a large slice of our planet and am well aware of the "Horses for courses" syndrome.
For example, my wife and I (She's American) have live in California and Florida and in general would not swap our life here if blighty for them again.
On the other hand we met Brits who were very happy with their lot in both places. Cyprus was wonderful but......
Malaysia had more neg than pos.
Perhaps you can start making a list of what you want out of life and then find a location which offers most. I doubt you will find anywhere which will cover all requirements, Shangri-la this planet is not.
Take prolonged hols in as many places as you can afford to and use those experiences in finding what is right for you. Why settle for one area? In Europe you can choose from the North in the summer to the South in the winter, with no real migration restrictions. For instance, a Baltic city in the summer and Sicily for the winter.
Good luck with you search.
Good luck to you.
You have me confused with someone else. I live in California with my US spouse. I think you need need to look back through the post. Good advice, thank you, but not for me