emigrating to SA

Old Jul 6th 2003, 10:38 am
Just Joined

ilittle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default emigrating to SA

Hi There
I have just registered for this site and read the interesting thread about emigrating to SA.
I am also in the process of deciding to join my partner in Hout Bay, Cape Town and would welcome an advice on moving from the UK. I have been to SA 8 times in the past 4 years and have never encountered any trouble (more by luck than judgement?).

I was planning to go on a 3 month visa and then apply for temporary residency as a life partner or fiancee when out there. Does anybody have an opinion on that?

Also does anybody have any experience of shipping belonging and cars out to SA. Is it worth shipping my car? Costs look about £1200 to get it there. Are there any regulations i should be aware of. I have asked these questions to the authorities but would value any help from others with experience.

I too have heard that CT is overtaking Joburg in terms of violent crime and that is a worry, but with roots still in the UK i feel that i must take the chance and find out if i can live there. Workwise i havent got a clue! I work in the horseracing industry in the UK as an admin manager so i dont know what i will do out there.

Again any help/info would be great
many thanks
ian
Old Jul 10th 2003, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Smith101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Independent Rpublic of Hout Bay

Hout Bay is very safe - the areas you should skip are: Sea/Green Point at night alone (it is a clubbing, amusement area) and things happen there. And Down Town Cape Town after 17:00. It is as if they just close down the pavements - and the whole downtown is empty.

The Hout Bay area is fairly safe (petty crimes). During the Apartheid Years the Hout Bay (snob) residents wanted to make Hout Bay an independent republic as well. This backfired, the residents (all quite rich and well off) are now struggeling to get the Squatters out of their Home Town.

Enjoy it - Hout Bay is beautiful!