Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

Daughter of British Father Seeks Advice...!

Daughter of British Father Seeks Advice...!

Old May 5th 2009, 3:10 am
Just Joined

grammyjadav is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Daughter of British Father Seeks Advice...!

Hi,
I am from India. I am a married daughter of a father having British citizenship. I have been born in India and mother is Indian. I have done some research and came to know about children born to British mothers can straight away apply for citizenship. In this regard, am I eligible?

Thank you in advance.
Tanu
India.
Old May 5th 2009, 7:56 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daughter of British Father Seeks Advice...!

Originally Posted by grammyjadav
Hi,
I am from India. I am a married daughter of a father having British citizenship. I have been born in India and mother is Indian. I have done some research and came to know about children born to British mothers can straight away apply for citizenship. In this regard, am I eligible?

Thank you in advance.
Tanu
India.
But your mother isnt British.
Old May 11th 2009, 8:57 pm
Sensible Member

GoanPlaces is a jewel in the roughGoanPlaces is a jewel in the roughGoanPlaces is a jewel in the roughGoanPlaces is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

Thank you in advance.
Tanu
India.
Hi Tanu

I can't tell from the information you provided if you are eligible for British Citizenship, but have a look at this official UK Government website for official advice http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/

It explains who is eligible and how you can go about applying if you are, and also what documents you need to prove eligibility. Good luck!

Julia x

Last edited by GoanPlaces; May 11th 2009 at 9:25 pm.
Old May 14th 2009, 11:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thank you in advance.
Tanu
India.
Was your father born in the United Kingdom? If not, how and when did he get his British citizenship?

And were your parents married?
Old Jul 12th 2009, 2:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Was your father born in the United Kingdom? If not, how and when did he get his British citizenship?

And were your parents married?
He was born in Tanzania and lived there for 16 years, had British Passport since then that expired the year 1968, before the birth of his daughter (my wife), so the passport term covered it.. i.e. protected British passport. He along with his siblings moved to India, everyone with their own passports, some submitted, but my father-in-law kept it safe and got it renewed 3 months back..
Old Jul 12th 2009, 2:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

He was born in Tanzania and lived there for 16 years, had British Passport since then that expired the year 1968, before the birth of his daughter (my wife), so the passport term covered it.. i.e. protected British passport. He along with his siblings moved to India, everyone with their own passports, some submitted, but my father-in-law kept it safe and got it renewed 3 months back..
Is he a British citizen or a British protected person?
Old Jul 12th 2009, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Is he a British citizen or a British protected person?
No, he is a British protected person.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 1:13 am
JAJ
Retired

No, he is a British protected person.
So he's not a British citizen, then. There is a huge difference.

Your wife might be a BPP based on her father, but if she is an Indian citizen as well (which she did acquire at birth, if born in India before 1 July 1987) then being a BPP will not help her in any way live in the United Kingdom. In fact, applying for a BPP passport would cause her to lose Indian citizenship without getting British citizenship.

On the other hand, if her father is a BPP and is not, and has never been an Indian citizen (or a citizen anywhere else), he can register as a British citizen by descent.

Last edited by JAJ; Jul 23rd 2009 at 1:28 am.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:18 pm

nutgrove is an unknown quantity at this point

BPP is

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...otectedperson/