Cape Verde

Old Feb 9th 2005, 7:54 am
Just Joined

osgood9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Cape Verde

With the news that an international airport will be opened on Santiago Island the connection time to the UK will be 5.5 hrs. Has anybody any experience of the islands, property, living conditions, infrastructure, cost of living, etc. ?
Old Feb 17th 2005, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cape Verde

Originally Posted by osgood9
With the news that an international airport will be opened on Santiago Island the connection time to the UK will be 5.5 hrs. Has anybody any experience of the islands, property, living conditions, infrastructure, cost of living, etc. ?
I would like to have some info about that aswell...thinking in investing some money down there...or maybe the island Sal....
Old Feb 17th 2005, 9:31 pm
ags
Forum Regular

ags is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Cape Verde

Originally Posted by eurotramp
I would like to have some info about that aswell...thinking in investing some money down there...or maybe the island Sal....
I reckon we all watched the same program tonight!! Looks like the place for me!
Old Feb 18th 2005, 1:27 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ags
I reckon we all watched the same program tonight!! Looks like the place for me!
I'm half from Cape Verde...my mother is from Sal. They're developing the place, eh? Excellent.

-Becs
Old Mar 10th 2005, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

dougie V is an unknown quantity at this point

can anyone enlighten me on this location, would it be a good place to base myself and possibly have a small business???? any probs setting a business up too
Old Mar 15th 2005, 3:35 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dougie V
can anyone enlighten me on this location, would it be a good place to base myself and possibly have a small business???? any probs setting a business up too
I dont know if you watched the programme on where to invest in property abroad, but Cape Verde came in the top 10. It was also on a Place in the sun. It is an hours flight south of the Canaries (I think). Absolutely stunning, but very undeveloped. If we hadn`t bought in Spain, we would have definately looked to invest in Cape Verde and also to move over full time. Hope it helps.

Sam
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 12:20 pm
Harrison

harrison is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Cape Verde

Originally Posted by osgood9
I have invested in a property on the island of Santiago. The agent I bought the property through has been out there and took lots of photographs, it looks stunning. She actually went to the airport to make sure it existed - it does! At the moment there is not a lot there, the people are very friendly, the weather gorgeous, there are a lot of developments planned but, apparently, they are going to be done very sympathetically and the island will remain unspoilt, it will not be a mass tourism destination like the Canaries have become.
Hope that helps
Old Mar 27th 2005, 10:34 am
Just Joined

matt32free is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm 32 had enough of London and ex-girlfriend and looking to invest into an alternative lifestyle on Cape Verde.

I hope to be able to puchase a 2 bed property for myself and 4/5 other smaller properties to provide a rental income - then possibly a beach bar or tourist type business.

Any advice appreciated especially on the following:

What 'realistic' rental income could be achievable form 4/5 apartments and will it sustain a comfortable existance on the Island.

what's the tax situation on rental incomes and a small business

many thanks
Old Mar 27th 2005, 12:22 pm
Harrison

Originally Posted by matt32free
I'm 32 had enough of London and ex-girlfriend and looking to invest into an alternative lifestyle on Cape Verde.

I hope to be able to puchase a 2 bed property for myself and 4/5 other smaller properties to provide a rental income - then possibly a beach bar or tourist type business.

Any advice appreciated especially on the following:

What 'realistic' rental income could be achievable form 4/5 apartments and will it sustain a comfortable existance on the Island.

what's the tax situation on rental incomes and a small business

many thanks
Matt,

I know of a new development where the developers are offering a guaranteed 6% return on your investment in the first year as they need the property for rentals. These properties will be ready at the end of this year. The prices range from £35,000 for a one bedroom apartment to £75,000 for a three bedroom apartment so if you bought 4 x 1 bedroom ones then you could expect to receive £7,800 rental income. The cost of living is very low at the moment, my friend had a 1 hour taxi ride around Santiago Island and it cost less than £5! My email address is [email protected], if you want to get in touch directly, I will ask my friend if she can help with more information regarding tax etc but I believe the Government are looking for investment in the islands so it is very low for businesses.

I hope this helps.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 12:37 pm
Harrison

Originally Posted by harrison
Matt,

I know of a new development where the developers are offering a guaranteed 6% return on your investment in the first year as they need the property for rentals. These properties will be ready at the end of this year. The prices range from £35,000 for a one bedroom apartment to £75,000 for a three bedroom apartment so if you bought 4 x 1 bedroom ones then you could expect to receive £7,800 rental income. The cost of living is very low at the moment, my friend had a 1 hour taxi ride around Santiago Island and it cost less than £5! My email address is [email protected], if you want to get in touch directly, I will ask my friend if she can help with more information regarding tax etc but I believe the Government are looking for investment in the islands so it is very low for businesses.

I hope this helps.
Matt,

There is information regarding tax on a site I have just found www.capeverdeportal.com - it is a really interesting site, have a look at it, there is also a forum on there where people are talking about their experiences in buying property on Santiago Island.