Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

Bermuda - Whats your opinion?

Bermuda - Whats your opinion?

Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

ruru is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bermuda - Whats your opinion?

Possibly next year I'll have the opportunity to move to Bermuda. I've heard good and bad things about the island. A lot of mixed but to be honest mostly good. I know there is a problem with humidity and that the winters can be cool. Oh and that it can be expensive too like 5 dollars for a loaf of bread? But if a place has some really special things about it I can deal with anything negative. I have a possible contact who can get me a job. I've no degree or any of that I would basically be looking for hotel or office work. What kind of salary could i expect? Oh and what would be a general rent for month in a house/apartment sharing?

Basically I would love to hear from everyone who is living in Bermuda or has been on a holiday, been there to work for a short time or even flown over the island! What are your thoughts on the place? Good things? Bad things?

Sorry my questions are all over the place ^^ but hoping to hear all comments welcome please!
Old Aug 11th 2006, 1:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bermuda - Whats your opinion?

Originally Posted by ruru
Possibly next year I'll have the opportunity to move to Bermuda. I've heard good and bad things about the island. A lot of mixed but to be honest mostly good. I know there is a problem with humidity and that the winters can be cool. Oh and that it can be expensive too like 5 dollars for a loaf of bread? But if a place has some really special things about it I can deal with anything negative. I have a possible contact who can get me a job. I've no degree or any of that I would basically be looking for hotel or office work. What kind of salary could i expect? Oh and what would be a general rent for month in a house/apartment sharing?
http://bermuda-online.org/
Old Aug 11th 2006, 6:45 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Basically I would love to hear from everyone who is living in Bermuda or has been on a holiday, been there to work for a short time or even flown over the island! What are your thoughts on the place? Good things? Bad things?

Sorry my questions are all over the place ^^ but hoping to hear all comments welcome please!
Unless your in a very high paid job,you'll find it extremly difficult to live week in week out.Sharing a house is expensive too...
Check out the members list theres a poster who used to live there Bermuda Girl,Im sure if you dropped her a PM she'll answer your questions!
Old Aug 12th 2006, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies, I've been 'googling' bermuda endlessly and found lots of websites but would like to hear from 'real' people(!) who have lived or are lving there.

Cheers Ransi i will look her up and pm bermuda girl.

Anyone have any info for me please post too. Thank you!
Old Aug 12th 2006, 5:44 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies, I've been 'googling' bermuda endlessly and found lots of websites but would like to hear from 'real' people(!) who have lived or are lving there.

Cheers Ransi i will look her up and pm bermuda girl.

Anyone have any info for me please post too. Thank you!
Have you been to Bermuda before?
It's TINY...my BIL lives there,I got to know it very well after 3 days!!!
Good Luck
Old Aug 13th 2006, 2:36 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in Bermuda for a while back in 1984 and loved it. However, wouldn't have wanted to stay there forever - as Ransi says, it is tiny. Good expat community but you do need to earn good money to make ends meet. I have been back since then on several holidays, the last one in about 2000 and it had changed alot. The harbour in Hamilton has a cruise ship moored there pretty much all week so you don't get a clear view across the sound anymore and it is full of mainly American tourists getting off these boats. There were ships moored in Hamilton, Docklands and St Georges and that's a lot of people for a tiny island!! Still love it though.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 12:47 am
Coolest dude

coolguy_7382 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm currently living in Bermuda, answer to all your questions simply depends on money you are offered because trust me, Bermuda is hard if you are gonna make just about the average.

Bermuda is more expensive than UK on Rent but groceries and eating out are more or less same as London ( even though people have different opinion on this but i still think the difference is not more than 10% )

If you are not planning to have a house share then be prepared to spend atleast $ 1500 plus utilities for a small studio!

Positive aspects of Bermuda are

* Decent night life
* Lively expat community
* Place is absolutely gorgeous and close proxmity to States.

Downsides

* Life is great if you are couples but dating scene for singles can be hard
* Extremely small and can be quite depressing during winters.
* Expensive to travel around

I would say Bermuda is not the place unless you are getting a fat pay check.

Give me a shout if i can be of any help.

Cheers,
Old Aug 14th 2006, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again Ransi, and thanks Vanessa and Coolguy!

I will be having a telephone interview this week hopefully where I hope to find out more about what positions are available to me and what kind of salary I can expect. So I'll have to cross my fingers and see what happens with the phone interview... aagh!

I'll post again shortly and let you all know how it goes.

Cheers
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

jason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nice

I'm on a shortlist to work there as an Architect, getting down to brass tacks what salary do you need for a comfortable life and to rent a house (for the family)?

Jason
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Hey everyone! How are you all today?

Well I just had the telephone interview I think it went pretty well. They are very interested in me which is great. As regards salary expectations, they said I can expect to earn more than what I'm earning at the moment Also they said the contract is for 2 years.

So all in all I'm pretty happy with that. I'll have to have a second interview in the next month or so, and that will give me more information. But it seems all good so far.

Any more news on Bermuda out there please post!

Thanks!
Old Aug 31st 2006, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Hey everyone! How are you all today?

Well I just had the telephone interview I think it went pretty well. They are very interested in me which is great. As regards salary expectations, they said I can expect to earn more than what I'm earning at the moment Also they said the contract is for 2 years.

So all in all I'm pretty happy with that. I'll have to have a second interview in the next month or so, and that will give me more information. But it seems all good so far.

Any more news on Bermuda out there please post!

Thanks!
just curious, what type of visa are going on ? it isnt easy to get out there ive heard?
Old Sep 4th 2006, 11:29 am
Just Joined

designer112 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys and gals...

Im so pleased to hear that Im not alone in making my decision to relocate to Bermuda from the UK. I have been offered a job and just dont know what to do. So could anyone tell me what a comfortable salary would be please? Also Ive heard from quite a few people that say only come if youre in a couple. Is this true as alas Im young, free and single!!! Thank you for all advice in advance.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

JessicaJ is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also interested to hear about living in Bermuda! I am especially concerned about the cost of living versus salaries ~ could anyone tell me what the average annual salary is? what is livable for a family of 4 and is it the norm for stay at home mums or is it unusual?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Jessica
Old Sep 4th 2006, 10:23 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ransi
Have you been to Bermuda before?
It's TINY...my BIL lives there,I got to know it very well after 3 days!!!
Good Luck

Its a bloody huge metropolis compared to here!
Old Sep 5th 2006, 12:25 am
Cheeky member

Originally Posted by designer112
Hey guys and gals...

Im so pleased to hear that Im not alone in making my decision to relocate to Bermuda from the UK. I have been offered a job and just dont know what to do. So could anyone tell me what a comfortable salary would be please? Also Ive heard from quite a few people that say only come if youre in a couple. Is this true as alas Im young, free and single!!! Thank you for all advice in advance.
My BIL went young free and single...met loads of expats in the same boat ....now 9 years on he's married to a Bermudian...
As for a salary...depends what you do isn't it!
The cost of living is on a par with the UK with the exeption of houses/rentals and cars!!! V.expensive on that front.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.