Bermuda again !

Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bermuda again !

Hello,

we are in the process of being offered a job with a large financial institution on Bermuda.
I have a few specific questions that I hope somebody here can answer for me.

Do these institutions usually provide housing? If housing is provided, is it possible to get a furnished house?
Do they pay for private schools? Do these schools have British Curriculum?
Do these institutions provide health care? Is it private? How good is the health care on Bermuda?
Any info appreciated, thanks!

XXX Lady Lou
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

thranathiril is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bermuda again !

Originally Posted by Lady Lou
Hello,

we are in the process of being offered a job with a large financial institution on Bermuda.
I have a few specific questions that I hope somebody here can answer for me.

Do these institutions usually provide housing? If housing is provided, is it possible to get a furnished house?
Do they pay for private schools? Do these schools have British Curriculum?
Do these institutions provide health care? Is it private? How good is the health care on Bermuda?
Any info appreciated, thanks!

XXX Lady Lou
Lady Lou,

It really depends on the individual financial institution. Most are unlikely to provide housing, but a housing allowance can be negotiated as part of an overall compensation package.

In general, there are both furnished and unfurnished accommodation rentals available. As a broad rule I would say that apartments tend to come furnished, rather than houses. I guess when you are able to afford to rent a house, you are deemed to be able to afford to buy furniture. There is an active second-hand market for furniture if you rent unfurnished accom.

Scheel fees paid - generally not, although again it depends on the overall compensation package negotiated. Certain schools go the UK course, other do not (International Baccalaureate for example at at least one school I know of).

Health care funding takes the form of health insurance, in other words, you pay and then claim back from your health insurance providers. Companies HAVE to provide medical insurance (well, most of them anyway) and some will pay ALL the premium, others only pay the premium for the most basic level of coverage and the employee has to cover any additional add ons).

Generally the level of health care is OK - a lot of folk still travel overseas to have major surgery done by choice since they don't want to do anything major here. For some things you have to go overseas - for instance, when I was diagnosed with cancer, I had to fly up to the States (Philly - very short distance) to have surgery. Cost was totally covered by my health insurance.

Hope that helps you. I have been here (Bermuda - duh) 13 years and love it!!

Thranathiril
Old Jun 29th 2007, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Thranathiril,
thank you very much for your response, I had almost given up!
We don't know what kind of package we will be offered yet,we are in the Middle East at the moment, and our package here is excellent.
We would like to spend some time on Bermuda, but are a bit worried about the high cost of living there.
Sadly we are not in a position yet where we can go to a specific country for the lifestyle only.
We will see if the offer we get warrants coming to Bermuda, I really do hope it will!!

XXX Lady Lou
Old Jun 29th 2007, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

thranathiril is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lady Lou
Dear Thranathiril,
thank you very much for your response, I had almost given up!
We don't know what kind of package we will be offered yet,we are in the Middle East at the moment, and our package here is excellent.
We would like to spend some time on Bermuda, but are a bit worried about the high cost of living there.
Sadly we are not in a position yet where we can go to a specific country for the lifestyle only.
We will see if the offer we get warrants coming to Bermuda, I really do hope it will!!

XXX Lady Lou
Dear LL

Send me a private message if you wish, and I can suplpy me email address if you wish to ask further questions.

Thranathiril
Old Jun 30th 2007, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you Tharanthiril,
once we have advanced in the negotiations I would be grateful for more info.
Will PM you .

XXX Lady Lou