Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

Any advice on moving to Colombia?

Any advice on moving to Colombia?

Old Mar 4th 2018, 3:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any advice on moving to Colombia?

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
.... I'm absolutely sure there must be parts of it we wouldn't walk at night, but there are parts of Grand Cayman we wouldn't walk at night either!
Exactly!
Old Mar 4th 2018, 3:56 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Everywhere I have ever lived (UK and US) has parts of town that it would be unwise to wander around at night.

I shared a house in the 1990's with a nurse at St George's Hospital, Tooting, including Brixton. She reported that St George's A&E was dealing with shooting injuries on a daily basis, most of which were not reported in the media.
Not surprised re tooting, I used to run IT for a mental health trust, our HQ was next to Ealing hospital. We often had the police tsg van at our place as unruly mental patients kicked off occasionally, but when Sri Lanka was at war we had the Ealing branch of the Tamil Tigers !

They started a shooting war in Ealing high st, shot but didn’t kill someone who was taken to a&e, so they followed, invaded a&e finished the job, shot 2 nurses and left.

You can imagine how many police attended that debacle but it wasn’t reported at the time as it would further inflame the situation or so we were told...
Old Mar 4th 2018, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mkedarko
I am planning to move to Medellin, Colombia in October for work. This will be my second time expatriating, I previously spent a few years in the Middle East. Does anyone have any advice or tips?
How did the trip go ? I have been travelling to Medellin since 2004, probably one of the best places in the third world to live, and most places a foreigner would visit perfectly safe.

Outside the cities another story, but now that government allowing the rebels to keep their share of cocaine and illegal gold trade, and letting them into government, maybe countryside may become safer too.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gandalf87
If you are moving to colombia.. keep in mind it's expensive. Crime rate is high. Drug cartels are in the streets.
I am unsure where one would get the idea Colombia is expensive but guess it depends on where one is comparing it to. I find Colombia quite inexpensive to live a comfortable life. Rents, food, utilities, medical care , all much less expensive than North America or Europe. I struggle to imagine what is more expensive in Colombia, maybe Marmite. For example, one can rent a three bedroom apartment in a modern building with swimming pool, gymnasium, etc, for 220 pounds a month, electricity/water/internet/cable TV for 50 pounds a month. Maid four hours a day six days a week, 60 pounds a month. Delivery of full lunch with fresh juice, just over two pounds.

Crime depends on where one is living, just as in most countries. I have visited Colombia since 2004, places where foreigners most typically would live in the cities and outlying areas generally are safe.

Drug cartels do control the poor areas, and many rural areas, but again not areas where foreigners would typically ever visit.