y o y o y

Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

plaincrips is an unknown quantity at this point
Default y o y o y

why are plain crisps cheese and oinon, can I be arrested for not liking taytos?

Does anyone else find it hard sometimes with the subtle differences

Where can I learn to speak Irish?

Been here nearly years and still adjusting to some of the ways of the people - I find that they can be a little racially intolerant? Anyone else noticed? I guess its ocs they have only really had immigration recently but find it hard

Thats probably enough to get me told to go back, I dont want to I just want to know if its just me?
Old May 1st 2007, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

chrissyfrog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: y o y o y

Originally Posted by plaincrips
Been here nearly years and still adjusting to some of the ways of the people - I find that they can be a little racially intolerant? Anyone else noticed? I guess its ocs they have only really had immigration recently but find it hard :
This sentence is confusing: I do not know what nearly years means or ocs?
In what area are you living?
Old May 1st 2007, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

cbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nice

for years could only get cheese and onion crisps in ireland. You cannot get arrested for not liking tayto but will get looked at like you are mad! been in ireland 6 years i hate tayto but my kids love em
Old May 1st 2007, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Chrissie frog sorry its nearly 4 years - damm false nails and number lock

the ocs is cos so it should be cos they have only have immigration ...

Cbeeb In munster / sunny south east my kids will eat tayto but we still a walkers family. GO READY SALTED

its just I find the intolerance at so called minority groups such as afro caribena, asan or even the traveling comunity a bit frustrating
The country people seem less bothered, maybe just more curious where as the city people seem to have an active dislike of non nationals but when I point out that Im a non national they say 'not like you' so I can ony assume that its the colour of the skin they object to

I love living here I have a great life but I want my kids to grow up in an intergrated society not a bigoted one

I dont miss it taking 45 mins to travel 5 miles home after work but I mis being able to have food delivered. I dont miss the fact that my English neighbours 1st spoke to me when I put up the for sale sign to come here but I miss being able to get petrol locally after 7 pm I know it swings and roundabouts I feel no complusion to go back to the uK in fact I refer to Waterford as home but its not eutopia

Having said that I would encourage any one looking to slow down to come but be prepared its different all right
Old May 1st 2007, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

chatterboxmoira has a spectacular aura aboutchatterboxmoira has a spectacular aura aboutchatterboxmoira has a spectacular aura about

My husband hates tayto's, especially cheese and onion, then he complains cos he has to buy multipacks of plain walker's. He blames the companies for making him eat more cos he has to buy more LOL. He's more annoyed that he can't get plain crisps in the pub :curse: .

I don't think there's much that I miss, except I can't get the shampoo I used in England. They seem to sell every bloody type of fructis, but if you have long hair and want the 'greasy roots and dry ends' one - forget it. I can get most things I want, oh except soda farls. How was it that in the UK we could get them from any supermarket. Here, they stock them for a bit, then 'forget' to reorder. And we were looked at like we were aliens when we asked for tinned potatoes (we chuck them in curry).

Don't ever tell an Irish person that jersey royals are the best spuds. If it hadn't been friends that we said this to, I think we'd have been lynched.

I miss Woolworth's.

I buy printer cartridges online from the uk cos even with postage they are cheaper.

Moira
Old May 2nd 2007, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

cbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nice

I am in wexford. Came from scotland. Got visa for aus. I do like it here but think commuting times are worse, would not move back to UK but can see bad points in all countries. The racism/non national does my head in a bit and my daughter was getting hasssle in school for not being irish(she moved here at 3 weeks old) but i think it is minority. Most people have connections (family) with non irish.
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Well we have just packed the van to move our stuff back to UK and we said we would never go back.
In france the weather is lovely with acres of beautiful countryside and the locals are great. We found a large proportion of the English to be standoffish with the general attitude of 'if you cannot speak french then its your fault' and will not help you, some will for a payment. We spent a lot of money trying to learn the language and still struggle with it because it is an absolute necessity to be able to read and write the language. If you have a problem with any of the utilities you are stuck. Francetelecom the only phone provider instruct their staff not to speak English when there is a problem but are allowed if they are selling a product.

We have been listing the dislikes from france and the UK and are checking to see if they are also present in Ireland. so far the only problems at present are taxation, medical cover,broadband problems and reregistering the car but these need to be looked into further. People of all cultures are different as will be the way of life but the experience of it is something else.

We miss some foods that are not available in france and used to ferry them back with us. sausages, dolcelatte cheese, bacon, raw ham,curry, bread without sugar,mushy peas,baked beans,corn on the cob,sauce,gravy granules,custard powder.

Cbeebs we have friends who moved to quennsland 2 years ago and although they love a lot around them they are not too keen on the oz attitude, they are similar to americans big and loud and always have something BIGGER.
But the children spend most time outside and take part in all the activities so although they are desperately home sick they are struggling on.

We agree all countries have the good and bad points its just what you are able to live with. We are almost retiring age and spent our lives working and raising children and never did anything or went anywhere. we have tried france and decided its not for us but at least we will not sit around thinking what if. Now we may try Ireland, Co Mayo because the countryside is said to be beautiful and because houses are a little cheaper, not sure about the rain though. And if this doesn't suit then we will move on again-lifes an adventure to be made the most off. If we have any money left that is.

Sorry this is so long but thanks for the replies. we should be somewhere in Ireland by the end of june.
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

THe problems in ireland are healthcare(nurses strike at minute) general cost of living. The reregistering of the car is easy and revenue dept is one of best run govt departments. Although if you plan to be in ireland initially for less than 12 months you do not need to reregister it.We came to ireland for 2 years and are still here over 6 years later so the good definately outweighs the bad. We are lucky with regards to aus that we have loads of family already there. Ireland was hard as we knew nobody. I will miss ireland more than scotland when we move. I agree life is too short to think I could have done that. AS my granpa said when we moved here "they have alot of mistakes to make" Mayo is a lovely part of the country.

Last edited by cbeeb; May 2nd 2007 at 1:50 pm.
Old May 2nd 2007, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Good luck with the move to oz.
I have a sister in new south wales and have never seen her house but we plan a visit some time next year.
when our friends email us they always quote 'up the poms'. They too have family there its just that they are very close nit and Ali was adopted as a baby and now has 2 families! but they still say its a great life and opportunity for their children age 4 and 8.
They have struggled to find work but always pull through, last year they bought a house and have just had a pool installed-so doing ok
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

chatterboxmoira has a spectacular aura aboutchatterboxmoira has a spectacular aura aboutchatterboxmoira has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by cbeeb
I am in wexford. Came from scotland. Got visa for aus. I do like it here but think commuting times are worse, would not move back to UK but can see bad points in all countries. The racism/non national does my head in a bit and my daughter was getting hasssle in school for not being irish(she moved here at 3 weeks old) but i think it is minority. Most people have connections (family) with non irish.
My nephews moved here from Kent at ages 2 and 9. They love it here. The eldest one remembers not being allowed to go out to play in England. He's gone for hours here as it's much safer- rural Co Cork. They have had no trouble with racism, most Irish people don't consider us Brits as immigrants. We get the occassional light hearted banter about 'all the bloody English over here'. We tell them that we're getting our own back on all the Irish navvies that went to Britain to build the roads, and it's a shame that they can't build decent roads in their own country lol.

I love it here, but as a nurse (yes, sorry I am working to rule at the moment) the worst thing I did as far as my career is concerned was move to Ireland. The health service about 10 years behind the UK in many area's, and they are making the same changes that they saw implemented in the NHS, even though the changes have been unsuccessful.

We are seriously considering a move to OZ. Taking it slowly, just about to apply for nurse registration. In no rush to go, and may not go at all, will just move through the process slowly and see how we feel at each stage (ie just before we part with more money.)

Moira
Old May 3rd 2007, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

In case there was a misunderstanding i think the nurses are right to be working to rule. the current govt has made a mess of the health service and the nurses are front line. If the rest of health profesionals are working a 35 hour week it seems ludicrous to expect nurses to be working more. Thanks for the god wishes for aus. I cannot wait new adventure and all that.
Old May 3rd 2007, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

In case there was a misunderstanding i think the nurses are right to be working to rule. the current govt has made a mess of the health service and the nurses are front line. If the rest of health profesionals are working a 35 hour week it seems ludicrous to expect nurses to be working more. Thanks for the god wishes for aus. I cannot wait new adventure and all that.
Don't get me wrong, I think we should be working a shorter working week, I'm just not sure that we're justified in asking for a pay rise as well, when the money could be better spent. Having said that, we rarely see any extra money that's put into the health service coming to patient services. God knows where it goes. It was the same when I was still in the UK and they put an extra £3 billion into the health service. We saw none of that, even though we were using out-dated equipment.

I still love my job, and would always want to do it. It's the politics that get you down, both in the hospital's and nationally. It's amazing to see that the politicians aren't saying too much about it, or the consultant's row. Mind they have a point as well. Not the pay rise. They all admit that they're well paid, it's the fact that they are being told that they cannot work with private patient's in their spare time. Very few consultants do what they say in the papers, ie see private patients during public time. If private patients are seen in a public hospital the public hospital gets a cut anyway. It's like them telling anyone of us that we can't take a second job if we want. They have no right to do that if the second job does not interfere with the main job, and you don't exceed the 48 hours a week.

Anyway, whether I agree with industrial action or not, as a member of the INO, I have to support it. And, of course, I'm not going to refuse a pay rise if I'm offered one. As it is we did not get our promised pay rise in december, whilst nurses in the other union did. and they will benefit if this industrial action works, cos we all have to work and be paid the same.

Moira
Old May 3rd 2007, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Nurses - over worked and under paid both here and in UK
cant believe that 1 union got a pay rise and the other didnt - unbeleivealbe
Having broken my wrist last year I have to say the care both in a and e and afterwards was great but the standard of cleaning was a bit suspect
my daughter also has to vist Adrkeen as an out paitent and again the standard of care was OK if a little drawn out. scary thing was she know more about her condition than the medical students - when the students where asked by the consultant where the term ranula termed from they where stumpped until my 13 year old dyslexia daughter explaine its from the latin frogs belly But the medical care was good, a bit grubby and over priced - it should be free for kids
Old May 3rd 2007, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: y o y o y and i meant to add

I MISS ASDA

but I love my local butcher, being able to buy dirty potatoes and the weather just now it makes the winter and the rain bearable - Im ten mins from the beach and ten mins from the moutains
Old Jun 7th 2007, 12:02 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

for years could only get cheese and onion crisps in ireland. You cannot get arrested for not liking tayto but will get looked at like you are mad! been in ireland 6 years i hate tayto but my kids love em
Chuck them on the bbq cos they make great firelighters.

I always hated Tayto crisps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.