would like some advice

Old Jan 2nd 2010, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

lisamb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default would like some advice

Hi,
Me and my family are planning on moving to RoI in the near future and would like to ask a few questions.
My husband is a plumber but on arrival will be unemployed unless he has found work prior to the move so is there a benefit system that we would be entitled to why he looks for work?
We have 2 young children and wanted to rent first before going straight into a mortgage and wondered how to go about registering for social housing?

any advice will be apreciated thank you.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 9:16 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: would like some advice

Originally Posted by lisamb
Hi,
Me and my family are planning on moving to RoI in the near future and would like to ask a few questions.
My husband is a plumber but on arrival will be unemployed unless he has found work prior to the move so is there a benefit system that we would be entitled to why he looks for work?
We have 2 young children and wanted to rent first before going straight into a mortgage and wondered how to go about registering for social housing?

Hi,
If RoI is the Republic of Ireland, then there's a special Section in the Europe Forum!
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:38 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lisamb
Hi,

hello , were are you coming from to Ireland as that will effect if you are entitled to any thing. http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW4/Pages/s1.aspx

at the moment the recession has hit us really bad with 356,000 unemployed at the last count is 10.4%. we have just had the hardest budget ever with cuts to every thing.

as far as I know to claim unemployment benefit you need to have worked here and paid taxes or prsi I think with in the last two years. you have to pas a habitual test as well. also bear in mind there is a waiting period of up to 3 months in some cases for social welfare because of backlog.

there is a waiting list of 10 years and more all over Ireland for social housing which may get even longer now. if you are entitled to social welfare you may get some help with paying rent I am not a 100% how it works for some one just moving to Ireland who is not a native.

Personally the way things are here I would make sure you had a job to come to or at the very least a lots of savings to cover you till a job is found. as coming in a trying to get social welfare help and ending up on may be €300 euro a week when shopping bills and food are still expensive is no fun. there are no jobs in the building trade at all my husband is a welder / metal fabricator and has had to do a complete change of career .

sorry if I seem harsh but leaving may be a job and a house to come and may be end up on welfare here is not what I call living the dream LOL
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:45 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baby75
hello , were are you coming from to Ireland as that will effect if you are entitled to any thing. http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW4/Pages/s1.aspx

at the moment the recession has hit us really bad with 356,000 unemployed at the last count is 10.4%. we have just had the hardest budget ever with cuts to every thing.

as far as I know to claim unemployment benefit you need to have worked here and paid taxes or prsi I think with in the last two years. you have to pas a habitual test as well. also bear in mind there is a waiting period of up to 3 months in some cases for social welfare because of backlog.

there is a waiting list of 10 years and more all over Ireland for social housing which may get even longer now. if you are entitled to social welfare you may get some help with paying rent I am not a 100% how it works for some one just moving to Ireland who is not a native.

Personally the way things are here I would make sure you had a job to come to or at the very least a lots of savings to cover you till a job is found. as coming in a trying to get social welfare help and ending up on may be €300 euro a week when shopping bills and food are still expensive is no fun. there are no jobs in the building trade at all my husband is a welder / metal fabricator and has had to do a complete change of career .

sorry if I seem harsh but leaving may be a job and a house to come and may be end up on welfare here is not what I call living the dream LOL
Agree totally. The country is in a bad way.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 2:40 pm
Heading to WA

roamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Baby75

I third this. Leaving aside the morality of emigrating to a country and your first stop being the welfare office, there are bugger all jobs, cost of living is still high and things are grim right now.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

cissy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by roamer25
I third this. Leaving aside the morality of emigrating to a country and your first stop being the welfare office, there are bugger all jobs, cost of living is still high and things are grim right now.
HEAR HEAR MATE