Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

UK welfare? Wait and see

UK welfare? Wait and see

Old Aug 7th 2014, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

BarryT99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK welfare? Wait and see

I have just been introduced to Universal Credit. My entitlement is going down from £6000 to £1500. Im a lone parent with two children. Thanks Mr Cameron, dont think I'll be voting Tory again.
Property looks incredibly cheap In Ireland so relocation would make sense. Can you claim child and other benefits?
What are best areas for BRit relocators?
Old Aug 8th 2014, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

mrhappygolucky will become famous soon enoughmrhappygolucky will become famous soon enough
Default Re: UK welfare? Wait and see

Originally Posted by BarryT99
I have just been introduced to Universal Credit. My entitlement is going down from £6000 to £1500. Im a lone parent with two children. Thanks Mr Cameron, dont think I'll be voting Tory again.
Property looks incredibly cheap In Ireland so relocation would make sense. Can you claim child and other benefits?
Welfare tourism is not encouraged by the authorities.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

You won't be getting anything, apart from €130 a month per child. I suppose you're a hard worker and will do any job, so you won't need other benefits anyway. Best area is probably not too far from your workplace. Ireland has plenty of nice areas.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Killangilly is an unknown quantity at this point

Property costs (buying & rental) are cheaper at the moment outside the main cities but the overall cost of living is probably higher. Plus, there's no NHS so you might need to consider purchasing health insurance.
Unless your children are school age and you can find a reasonably well paid job, it's probably not worth moving in the short term.
Why anyone would vote Tory is beyond me though. ;-)
Old Aug 8th 2014, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

mrhappygolucky will become famous soon enoughmrhappygolucky will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Moses2013
You won't be getting anything, apart from €130 a month per child. I suppose you're a hard worker and will do any job, so you won't need other benefits anyway. Best area is probably not too far from your workplace. Ireland has plenty of nice areas.
Take your rose tinted spectacles off - of course they want welfare, that's why they want to move here. Two children at €130 per month wouldn't cover childcare for a week.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrhappygolucky
Take your rose tinted spectacles off - of course they want welfare, that's why they want to move here. Two children at €130 per month wouldn't cover childcare for a week.
It was ironic €130 is reality.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Presume you are intending to work? In which case be aware the Ireland has the 5th highest unemployment rate behind Spain, Italy, Portugal and Serbia.
Old Aug 9th 2014, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Presume you are intending to work? In which case be aware the Ireland has the 5th highest unemployment rate behind Spain, Italy, Portugal and Serbia.
Actually not true, as you didn't mention Greece, Croatia, Cyprus, Slovakia and in a lot of Eastern European countries the figures aren't correct, because a high percentage of people aren't registered. There are plenty of unfilled jobs in Ireland, due to skills shortages (Hotels, IT).
Old Aug 10th 2014, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Actually not true, as you didn't mention Greece, Croatia, Cyprus, Slovakia and in a lot of Eastern European countries the figures aren't correct, because a high percentage of people aren't registered. There are plenty of unfilled jobs in Ireland, due to skills shortages (Hotels, IT).
For god sake stop saying there are plenty of jobs. There were 404,515 signing on the live register in July - they must be lazy bastards then. Then many, many thousands are on "work Schemes", which is really still on the dole but not officially unemployed.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mrhappygolucky
For god sake stop saying there are plenty of jobs. There were 404,515 signing on the live register in July - they must be lazy bastards then. Then many, many thousands are on "work Schemes", which is really still on the dole but not officially unemployed.
It has nothing to do with people being lazy, but people aren't flexible and the government need to train people in sectors where work is available. There are too many people in this country still waiting for another building boom, rather than upskilling. Tell me why there where recently 3000 unfilled position in the hotel sector, or 4500 unfilled positions in IT? People living in rural Ireland never really had jobs, so why should it be different today. You either have to move closer to a town, or be willing to commute. I see more and more people studying something, without actually researching if there are jobs available in this sector. From 60 people in my department, 50 people have come from abroad. Luckily there are a few more youngsters now studying agriculture, which is a growing market.