Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Uk passport for visit to Dublin?

Uk passport for visit to Dublin?

Old Apr 4th 2010, 9:56 am
Just Joined

andycoppock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk passport for visit to Dublin?

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knows whether we'd need a uk passport for our daughter to travel with us to Dublin from Holyhead via ferry?
She's just turned 1 and doesn't have one yet.
Thanks
Andy
Old Apr 4th 2010, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

NorQuin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Uk passport for visit to Dublin?

Hi Andy
UK citizens do not need passports to visit the Republic of Ireland.

Mike.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Horus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura about

When I moved over I came on the ferry from Holyhead. Drove on and off without showing my passport at either end.

With the open borders policy I think you only need them if you're flying
Old Apr 4th 2010, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Yep..........we come twice a year every year, since last 13yrs, never needed them yet.!!!!..................don't know about flying....can't fly

Mike.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 5:50 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

None the less, you should carry a passport when you visit Dublin as it is theoretically possible that you could be stopped and asked for it.

Ive driven to Paris and back without a passport but it doesnt mean that I shouldnt have had it with me
Old Apr 4th 2010, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Correct Mitzyboy.................we always carry them.!!!!!

Mike.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

andycoppock is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone, i'll probably take her birth certificate to be sure!
Thanks
Andy
Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:12 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andycoppock
Thanks everyone, i'll probably take her birth certificate to be sure!
Thanks
Andy
I would get a passport for her, unfortunately in this day and age of children being smuggled out of countries, you could have a problem proving who she is and a birth certificate would be no help if you were pulled at a border.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Horus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by NorQuin
Correct Mitzyboy.................we always carry them.!!!!!
I live here - I don't...do you think I should?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I would get a passport for her, unfortunately in this day and age of children being smuggled out of countries, you could have a problem proving who she is and a birth certificate would be no help if you were pulled at a border.
Have you ever heard (verifiably) of that happening between the UK and Republic of Ireland, or is it simply speculation?

(of course a passport is advisable but there may not be time to get one).
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:51 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Have you ever heard (verifiably) of that happening between the UK and Republic of Ireland, or is it simply speculation?

(of course a passport is advisable but there may not be time to get one).
Not that border, but others and the way things are at the moment i would rather have passports or ID cards to travel.
Don`t they also advise a letter of confirmation to travel from the other parent if the child is only traveling with one parent ?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

I had this problem last year and contacted the ferry company. They said I didn't need a passport for the children but the adults needed photo id. Although it was never checked.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 9:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Not that border, but others and the way things are at the moment i would rather have passports or ID cards to travel.
Don`t they also advise a letter of confirmation to travel from the other parent if the child is only traveling with one parent ?
Who's "they"?

Most of these stories come from either Canada or some Latin nations (Brazil/Portugal, etc).

There is no United Kingdom law mandating this. It is acceptable for sole parents to take children on vacation for less than a month without needing permission.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 9:46 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Horus
I live here - I don't...do you think I should?
I live in Spain and I've only ever been asked by tax office and once by the Police. But I am aware that it is a requirement that I carry an official form of identity at all times, and the British Consul here tells me thats a valid passport.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 3:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by JAJ
Who's "they"?

Most of these stories come from either Canada or some Latin nations (Brazil/Portugal, etc).

There is no United Kingdom law mandating this. It is acceptable for sole parents to take children on vacation for less than a month without needing permission.
There is probably no law mandating this as you say, just common sense really with all the child abduction that happens now and a border is an easy place to crack down on it.
We used to travel to France a lot with our children and their friends back in the 70`s, this always worried me in case we were refused permission to take them through the border.
I contacted the embassy and they advised to take a letter of permission from the parents and some contact numbers if possible.

Like you I googled to see if any info was available on the issue, but like you say it was mostly the Canadian borders that showed up, this is an advice snippet from one of the links about international travel with only one parent.

"If you are crossing an international border with a child under 18, traveling without one parent (or both parents if you are a grandparent or other guardian/chaperone), and traveling without custody papers, you could have problems. Border officials the world over are paying close attention to one-parent families in an attempt to block runaways, of course, but also to stop abductions in child-custody disputes."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.