Reload this Page >

Transferring Money and Bank Accounts

Transferring Money and Bank Accounts

Old Apr 3rd 2015, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Buzyizzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Transferring Money and Bank Accounts

Hi
I've found a place to buy in Roscommon and have found someone to buy my property here in the UK. I have been looking at FX companies and Tor-fx seems a good company. I understand that I cannot open a bank account in Ireland until I have proof of residence, so what do I do in the meantime? Am I best off using my UK bank account and having each transaction transferred into £? I'm also splitting the money from my house here into two properties in Ireland, but as yet I have only found one, my main residence. Where is the best place for the remainder of the funds from the sale? How long does it take to open an Irish bank account?
Any information, advice and assistance would be gratefully received.
Kind regards
Old Apr 11th 2015, 10:20 am
Just Joined

beara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transferring Money and Bank Accounts

You can open an AIB account while you still resident abroad. You just need to call at any branch with the usual documents, ie proof of address, passport etc, and they will open one for you with a few days. You can use your UK address for all correspondence until yo move to Ireland
Old May 17th 2015, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

I'm resident in the UK, I'm totally confused by your advice.
Old May 17th 2015, 4:23 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzyizzy
I'm resident in the UK, I'm totally confused by your advice.
see below if this helps you better & maybe the poster 'beara' can jump back in

Originally Posted by beara

- You can open an AIB account while you still resident abroad.

- You just need to call at any branch with the usual documents, ie proof of address, passport etc, and they will open one for you with a few days.

-You can use your UK address for all correspondence until yo move to Ireland
- That the person opening the bank account is resident in the UK - the UK being a different country than Ireland considered to be 'abroad'?

- Also, that the person will be moving to Ireland ... address details

Last edited by not2old; May 17th 2015 at 4:25 pm.
Old May 19th 2015, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Righty ho, just need to find an AIB somewhere.
Cheers
Old May 20th 2015, 12:48 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

AIB Bank, Bank, Roscommon, ...(090)6626

AIB Bank
Address: Church st Roscommon Co. Roscommon
City of Roscommon
Phone: (090)6626542

Opening Hours:

Mon 10am - 5pm
Tue 10am - 4pm
Wed 10:30am - 4pm
Thu 10am - 4pm
Fri 10am - 4pm
Sat Closed
Sun Closed
Old May 20th 2015, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much not2old. Can I open an account when I visit the house next month? I'm not due to complete on sale/purchase for another eight weeks.
You've been so kind
Old May 21st 2015, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

molly1664 is an unknown quantity at this point

We opened a Bank Of Ireland account whilst we were still resident in the UK. Very easy to do, just popped into a branch, wasn't even local to the house we were buying.

In regards to changing our GBP to Euros we used a UK company called Smart Currency Exchange, have to say was initially rather nervous at parting with the sterling then waiting for the transfer to go ahead but have to say it was all very easy. They were really helpful and always gave a good exchange rate. I didn't need to worry.
Old May 21st 2015, 9:34 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Buzyizzy
Thank you so much not2old. Can I open an account when I visit the house next month? I'm not due to complete on sale/purchase for another eight weeks.
You've been so kind
answered for you in post#2

Originally Posted by beara
You can open an AIB account while you still resident abroad. You just need to call at any branch with the usual documents, ie proof of address, passport etc, and they will open one for you with a few days. You can use your UK address for all correspondence until yo move to Ireland
of course there are other banks such as Bank of Ireland

the list of banks in Roscommon

http://www.goldenpages.ie/banks/rosc...common-county/

Last edited by not2old; May 21st 2015 at 9:37 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by molly1664
We opened a Bank Of Ireland account whilst we were still resident in the UK. Very easy to do, just popped into a branch, wasn't even local to the house we were buying.

In regards to changing our GBP to Euros we used a UK company called Smart Currency Exchange, have to say was initially rather nervous at parting with the sterling then waiting for the transfer to go ahead but have to say it was all very easy. They were really helpful and always gave a good exchange rate. I didn't need to worry.
Cheers, that's reassured me as I was planning on using Smart Currency too. We don't have a BofI around here, so that will have to wait a while, or I can open an AIB account online if possible.
Thanks again