Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Tips for applying for jobs in Ireland

Tips for applying for jobs in Ireland

Old Nov 22nd 2011, 7:21 pm
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all
Default Tips for applying for jobs in Ireland

Here are some tips for applying for jobs in Ireland.
1. Have an up to date CV with an Irish address and Irish mobile on it.
2. Walk round with your CV and hand it in rather than posting or emailing it.
3. Don't use recruitment agencies, apply direct to companies even if its speculatively.
4. When you apply for a job, chase the application up on the phone at the same time; or visit in person.
5. Ask around verbally, and if you can give a name of someone on the firm it will help you get an interview.
6. In Ireland it is common for companies to use an application form (some do not accept CV's) so bring a copy of your CV with you to job interviews, as you may be asked to also fill out an application form on the day.
7. Always bring your passport and PPS number to your job interview, if you have an Irish P45 from the Revenue then that will help too.
8. Always wear your best clothes and shoes. A suit and tie will always give you the edge over the other applicants who wear jeans and trainers. The employer is more likely to take you seriously if you don't turn up in casual clothes.
9. Local papers and shop windows are good places to look for jobs. The internet is generally a waste of time as recruitment agencies advertise lots of fake jobs to keep fresh people on their books.
10. Ask around with everyone you know. In Ireland word of mouth is often how vacancies are filled.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 9:50 am
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tips for applying for jobs in Ireland

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis
Here are some tips for applying for jobs in Ireland.
1. Have an up to date CV with an Irish address and Irish mobile on it.
2. Walk round with your CV and hand it in rather than posting or emailing it.
3. Don't use recruitment agencies, apply direct to companies even if its speculatively.
4. When you apply for a job, chase the application up on the phone at the same time; or visit in person.
5. Ask around verbally, and if you can give a name of someone on the firm it will help you get an interview.
6. In Ireland it is common for companies to use an application form (some do not accept CV's) so bring a copy of your CV with you to job interviews, as you may be asked to also fill out an application form on the day.
7. Always bring your passport and PPS number to your job interview, if you have an Irish P45 from the Revenue then that will help too.
8. Always wear your best clothes and shoes. A suit and tie will always give you the edge over the other applicants who wear jeans and trainers. The employer is more likely to take you seriously if you don't turn up in casual clothes.
9. Local papers and shop windows are good places to look for jobs. The internet is generally a waste of time as recruitment agencies advertise lots of fake jobs to keep fresh people on their books.
10. Ask around with everyone you know. In Ireland word of mouth is often how vacancies are filled.
Are you the best man to give advice about job seeking ? Thought you were unable to secure a job yourself in the last two years ?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 9:51 am
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sickntired
Are you the best man to give advice about job seeking ? Thought you were unable to secure a job yourself in the last two years ?

I lold.
Excellent.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:17 pm
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

Looking at the timings of sickntired and Cuthbert Rizla's posts; 10.50am and 10.51am respectively, it is clear to me that they are the same person.
They are a troll using what is known as sock puppet user names.
If you read through their posts there is clearly a lot of projection going on, which suggests some mental health problems such as; dissociative identity disorder.

Last edited by Joe-Soap; Nov 23rd 2011 at 12:20 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:40 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at the timings of sickntired and Cuthbert Rizla's posts; 10.50am and 10.51am respectively, it is clear to me that they are the same person.
If you read through their posts there is clearly a lot of projection going on, which suggests some mental health problems such as; dissociative identity disorder.
Thats a massive assumption to make isn't it considering you have no proof?
You forget, I can see a lot more to do with members than you can and at this moment I would have to say you are wrong.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 6:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Thats a massive assumption to make isn't it considering you have no proof?
You forget, I can see a lot more to do with members than you can and at this moment I would have to say you are wrong.
So what you are saying is that sickntired and Cuthebert Rizla have different ISP addresses do they?
Its just a coincidence that they both post back slapping each other 1 minute apart?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 9:39 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

So what you are saying is that sickntired and Cuthebert Rizla have different ISP addresses do they?
Its just a coincidence that they both post back slapping each other 1 minute apart?
You arent used to forums are you

I know a lot more than ISPs. I suggest you leave it alone really now as you are out of your zone of responsibility
Thank you
Old Nov 24th 2011, 7:56 am
Account Closed

I live in Roscommon, and as far as I know Cuthbert Rizla doesn't live near or with me.

As for mental health issues I suggest you look at yourself.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 10:00 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

How long you gonna stick it out Sean? You should head back to UK before you waste all your savings. Ive got a bit of private design work recently and also working for another company. There seems to be jobs in London even though there appears to be another few million here.

When I ended back here unexpectedly, i got jobseekers allowance immediately. I also got a 100 quid for getting the job, which I didnt realise they offered.

Last edited by Londonuck; Nov 26th 2011 at 10:07 am.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 10:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Londonuck
How long you gonna stick it out Sean? You should head back to UK before you waste all your savings. Ive got a bit of private design work recently and also working for another company. There seems to be jobs in London even though there appears to be another few million here.

When I ended back here unexpectedly, i got jobseekers allowance immediately. I also got a 100 quid for getting the job, which I didnt realise they offered.
A friend of mine just got herself a job and is starting on Monday. How do you get the €100 ?

Presume you followed Sean's job hunting tips.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 11:10 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sickntired
A friend of mine just got herself a job and is starting on Monday. How do you get the €100 ?
Sorry, 100 quid not euro. Im back home in London. Do you honestly think Enda would give you a ton for getting a job?!
Old Nov 26th 2011, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

Sorry thought you were Ireland.

These ****ers here would charge you a hundred if you got a job.

Poor old Enda's Mother has died today she was 93.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 3:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Londonuck

Hi Londonuck,
I intend to live in Ireland permanently for the rest of my life.
I wont be returning to the UK. I will continue to try and get a job here.
I think it may take 5 to 10 years for the economy to return to boom from bust. I have prepared for that, and have sufficient savings to allow me to stay here in the meantime.