Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

thinking about moving to Ireland

thinking about moving to Ireland

Old Jun 9th 2008, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Southiebrat80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb thinking about moving to Ireland

My husband and I have been discussing moving to Ireland from the US. We are both hating the way things are and want to move somewhere better for our children. None of our grandparents or parents were born in Ireland but I think my great grandparent was, does this not make me eligible for the Irish descent thing? We aren't professionals who can do jobs that Irish citizens can't so I know that it has become harder to get a work visa there otherwise. Right now it is just a thought in our heads and something that I would love to do. Any help or advice in general would be much appreciated. Things like, the best place to live if you have young children, medical, cost of living compared to pay (the US is horrible), child care, and anything else you'd like to add.

Thanks,

Judy
Old Jun 9th 2008, 8:31 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: thinking about moving to Ireland

Originally Posted by Southiebrat80
My husband and I have been discussing moving to Ireland from the US. We are both hating the way things are and want to move somewhere better for our children. None of our grandparents or parents were born in Ireland but I think my great grandparent was, does this not make me eligible for the Irish descent thing? We aren't professionals who can do jobs that Irish citizens can't so I know that it has become harder to get a work visa there otherwise. Right now it is just a thought in our heads and something that I would love to do. Any help or advice in general would be much appreciated. Things like, the best place to live if you have young children, medical, cost of living compared to pay (the US is horrible), child care, and anything else you'd like to add.

Thanks,

Judy

Judy im not sure about that far back but you only need a rellie who is from one of the European Union countries to be able to settle in Ireland.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: thinking about moving to Ireland

All of our relatives that I know have lived in the US, none born in any of the EU nations. Is it a hopeless dream then?
Old Jun 10th 2008, 7:01 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

All of our relatives that I know have lived in the US, none born in any of the EU nations. Is it a hopeless dream then?
Never say never. Apply and see. All the best!
Old Jun 11th 2008, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: thinking about moving to Ireland

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Never say never. Apply and see. All the best!
I am so confused by all the rules and regulations about moving to Ireland. I don't even have a clue as to where to start. I've been looking at the forums trying to figure my way around them and it all seems so gibberish lol. You guys may as well be talking in Gaelic for all I can gather from it. Thanks for the pep talk though
Old Jun 11th 2008, 11:14 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

why not call in to the Irish Consulate General of Ireland
Chase Building
535 Boylston Street
Boston MA 02116
+1-617-267-6375
Email:
irlcons at aol.com
Consul General
David Barry
Vice Consul
Marianne Bolger
have chat with them that sould help you out
jurdy
Old Jun 12th 2008, 12:38 am
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: thinking about moving to Ireland

Originally Posted by jurdyr
why not call in to the Irish Consulate General of Ireland
Chase Building
535 Boylston Street
Boston MA 02116
+1-617-267-6375
Email:
irlcons at aol.com
Consul General
David Barry
Vice Consul
Marianne Bolger
have chat with them that sould help you out
jurdy
Thanks for the info!! I just might do that and to think it is a local call
Old Jun 12th 2008, 1:22 am
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the info!! I just might do that and to think it is a local call
well i just pm you there with email address
jurdy

Last edited by jurdyr; Jun 12th 2008 at 1:26 am.