Social care jobs

Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

Aurore is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Social care jobs

Hi all
This is my first post re our intended move to Ireland. Looking to move to the sw husband needs a job in social care setting. He has worked for the last 2 years in a psychiatric hospital as a support worker. in UK Has NVQ level2 working towards level 3. Cannot find anything on web. Am hoping that there is someone out there who maybe works in a similar setting or can recommend where to apply. Would like to live rurally within a reasonable driving distance of Cork.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:22 pm
adelelou

Default Re: Social care jobs

I worked as a health care assistant in England and loved every minute of my job. Moving to Ireland however and my job didn't exist at all. The work I did in England the qualified nurse will do in Ireland and the work a nurse in England does the doctor has to do in Ireland. I don't think the 'support/assistant' health care jobs are in Ireland at all. NVQ's don't exist - and they aren't really recognized seeing as a support worker roles don't exist. My job was so basic in Ireland I came back to work in England, my husband works from home but is still employed by his Irish company.

Good luck, I really hope you find something suitable - send a post to say how you get on. Maybe you will have better luck than I did

Adele

Old Aug 12th 2007, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

chatterboxmoira has a spectacular aura aboutchatterboxmoira has a spectacular aura aboutchatterboxmoira has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by adelelou
I worked as a health care assistant in England and loved every minute of my job. Moving to Ireland however and my job didn't exist at all. The work I did in England the qualified nurse will do in Ireland and the work a nurse in England does the doctor has to do in Ireland. I don't think the 'support/assistant' health care jobs are in Ireland at all. NVQ's don't exist - and they aren't really recognized seeing as a support worker roles don't exist. My job was so basic in Ireland I came back to work in England, my husband works from home but is still employed by his Irish company.

Good luck, I really hope you find something suitable - send a post to say how you get on. Maybe you will have better luck than I did

Adele
HI
I appreciate what your saying about HCA posts not existing in Ireland. I am a nurse and feel very deskilled here as practices I was performing in the UK aren't recognised here.
However, there is now a recognised care assistant role in Ireland. The support workers had to choose whether they wanted to be care or domestic workers and those that chose the care side had to complete a carer's course. This is similar to NVQ so your husbands course may have some bearing. Mind you if he is working towards his NVQ 3, why doesn't he finish it and use the qualification as an entry into nurse training. He may get secondment from the trust he's working at now. I know that this will mean putting off a move for probably 5 years, but the pay will be better and also area's for employment will be greater.
I live in the south west, it is a lovely area.
I've got a list of psychiatic units for you-

General Hospital, Bantry, Co. Cork
St. Fintan's Hosptial, Killarney, Co. Kerry
Our Lady's Hospital, Lee Road, Cork
Sarsfield Court, Glanmire, Co. Cork

I can't get the phone numbers right now cos the golden pages website isn't working properly. You can try yourself, it works the same as yell.com. The link is www.goldenpages.ie

You could try ringing their human resources departments and see if your OH qualifications will be recognised as the equivalent of the carers course.

Hope all this helps

Moira
Old Aug 15th 2007, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Aurore is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for your replies. Could not reply earlier because my computer crashed. Will take on board your advice and suggestions.

Aurore