Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Retiring to the ROI from the UK

Retiring to the ROI from the UK

Old Jun 25th 2015, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to the ROI from the UK

Sorry to barge in on your thread, but Moses, we were looking at the possibility of moving to Westport from the USA and saw you mention it. Hubby will be retired but will probably teach banjo to the old time and bluegrass fans in the area as a pastime. I am a little younger so would like to work for two more years. Have not been able to find much in the way of employment. I have solid experience in retail but I am 57 and I imagine I will have a lot of competition with younger applicants for the few establishments there. Would it be more prudent to locate to Galway? Thanks so much.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
Sorry to barge in on your thread, but Moses, we were looking at the possibility of moving to Westport from the USA and saw you mention it. Hubby will be retired but will probably teach banjo to the old time and bluegrass fans in the area as a pastime. I am a little younger so would like to work for two more years. Have not been able to find much in the way of employment. I have solid experience in retail but I am 57 and I imagine I will have a lot of competition with younger applicants for the few establishments there. Would it be more prudent to locate to Galway? Thanks so much.
No worries Perth. It really depends what you want or let's say need when it comes to money? Not sure about employment in Westport, but I would say that age shouldn't be an issue in retail and a lot of shop owners would probably be happy to have someone with more experience. You probably get a lot of seasonal jobs in Westport, because it's more touristic and many of the jobs would be advertised in the shop window. Castlebar might be an option for retail jobs, if you can travel there. Galway is obviously bigger than Westport and you have a lot more different types of shops/cafes and there seems to be more opportunities. There are a lot of nice areas around Galway and it really depends on you budget and how far away you want to live from the city, or Westport?
Old Jun 25th 2015, 6:44 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

question for Moses & please be frank....

Take a Brit retiree(s) or ex-pats, one or both who may not be a Brit, but for the heck of it....

As over 65's average health, their primary income is from a government State pension, OAP. or social security (depending which country they came what its called), or if under state pension/OAP/SS age, are self sufficient [ignore any visa issue for this post].

For this discussion, in todays money, lets say their joint net income is £1000/mth or its equivalent €1350/mth (multiples/divisor of income could be used for different scenarios based on the individual) - but use £1000/mth or its equivalent €1350/mth

They have enough money to buy outright & furnish a moderate home either in the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland & no matter which country they live in 'North (British part) or South (the Republic)' - which [from what you know & are knowledgeable with] would in your opinion be the better country of the two countries all round to live in for retired 55+ over 65 OAP pensioners?

They be eligible over a certain age for the Irish medical card, if not they can afford private health insurance.

Outside of location, location - I would appreciate any response you could provide & if possible generalize with the following considerations to...

- Health care
- Safety
- People & culture
- Getting around
- Getting things done
- Overall cost of living, one against the other (exclude accommodation)

Thanks
Old Jun 25th 2015, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
No worries Perth. It really depends what you want or let's say need when it comes to money? Not sure about employment in Westport, but I would say that age shouldn't be an issue in retail and a lot of shop owners would probably be happy to have someone with more experience. You probably get a lot of seasonal jobs in Westport, because it's more touristic and many of the jobs would be advertised in the shop window. Castlebar might be an option for retail jobs, if you can travel there. Galway is obviously bigger than Westport and you have a lot more different types of shops/cafes and there seems to be more opportunities. There are a lot of nice areas around Galway and it really depends on you budget and how far away you want to live from the city, or Westport?
Thanks for your time Moses. Honestly, what I earn will be our travel money when we want to go to music festivals across the country. OH has social security and we have savings. It's more that I don't want to stop working just yet. Still too young and regardless of all the things I plan to do, volunteering, gardening etc, I go nuts if I'm not busy all the time. Think what we will do is land in Galway, have a look around and then do some day trips out of the city down to Westport and Castlebar. OH has his heart set on being at the Westport Folk and Bluegrass Festival next year
Old Jun 26th 2015, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
Thanks for your time Moses. Honestly, what I earn will be our travel money when we want to go to music festivals across the country. OH has social security and we have savings. It's more that I don't want to stop working just yet. Still too young and regardless of all the things I plan to do, volunteering, gardening etc, I go nuts if I'm not busy all the time. Think what we will do is land in Galway, have a look around and then do some day trips out of the city down to Westport and Castlebar. OH has his heart set on being at the Westport Folk and Bluegrass Festival next year
Yes, really have a good drive around and you might find some locations you've never considered before. Definitely drive from Galway all the way to Westport, but take the N59. That will lead you through really nice parts of Connemara. You can also go in the other direction past Kinvara all the way to Lahinch which is also a very nice part of the country.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by not2old
question for Moses & please be frank....

Take a Brit retiree(s) or ex-pats, one or both who may not be a Brit, but for the heck of it....

As over 65's average health, their primary income is from a government State pension, OAP. or social security (depending which country they came what its called), or if under state pension/OAP/SS age, are self sufficient [ignore any visa issue for this post].

For this discussion, in todays money, lets say their joint net income is £1000/mth or its equivalent €1350/mth (multiples/divisor of income could be used for different scenarios based on the individual) - but use £1000/mth or its equivalent €1350/mth

They have enough money to buy outright & furnish a moderate home either in the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland & no matter which country they live in 'North (British part) or South (the Republic)' - which [from what you know & are knowledgeable with] would in your opinion be the better country of the two countries all round to live in for retired 55+ over 65 OAP pensioners?

They be eligible over a certain age for the Irish medical card, if not they can afford private health insurance.

Outside of location, location - I would appreciate any response you could provide & if possible generalize with the following considerations to...

- Health care
- Safety
- People & culture
- Getting around
- Getting things done
- Overall cost of living, one against the other (exclude accommodation)

Thanks
I think that's pretty hard to say and I couldn't really compare, as I don't live in the North. With the exchange rate, you are probably better off in the Republic these days. Take petrol which is currently around €1.45, but you're paying £1.16 in Northern Ireland. At the current rate, it's 18c cheaper per litre in the Republic. Just had a look at Lidl offers and the mushrooms in the Republic cost 49c, but they cost 49p in the North. The cherry tomatoes are cheaper. Look at the price of duck and you'll see how much more expensive it is in the North.
Deluxe Marinated Duck Breast Fillets with Garlic & Pepper - Lidl Northern Ireland
Deluxe® Garlic & Pepper Marinated Duck Breast Fillets - Lidl Ireland

At the end of the day it's always down to location location. Health care depends on the area and what's the point of free health care if the local doctor is rubbish etc.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 10:41 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Moses @ post# 36 thanks ......
Old Jun 30th 2015, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

jonnie1001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
Moses writes, "You would probably feel more unwelcome as an English person in England."

Sounds like you are fleeing from the immigrants - by becoming an immigrant yourself !
To be fair I could read the first comment as being innocent.

However I strongly agree nothing more irritating than double values regards immigration/emigration.

I met a late-middle aged couple in France who bemoaned immigrants in England, I found their language offensive - lets just say the word jungle was used.

I couldn't resist asking them whether they spoke French to which they admitted that apart from Merci and Bonjour they couldnt speak a word.

Ouch the painful irony of it all !

Incidentally why do people call themselves expatriates and yet refer to everyone else in a similar position immigrants? I am not disputing the accuracy of the word expatriate, according to some online dictonaries it appears to be a 1-1 equivalent of "immigrant" its just certain people seem to use both words but very selectively dependent on who they are talking about.

Common lets call everyone who is not living in their maternal country an immigrant and be more consistent!

For the record I have been an immigrant in France and I now find myself an immigrant in Ireland.

Last edited by jonnie1001; Jun 30th 2015 at 1:54 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

jonnie1001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flibberty gibbet
Are your friends already out there retired British expats? I was wondering how the locals take to newcomers, particularly English, given the complex history between the countries?
We have taken holidays there and felt very welcome but I wasn't sure how that translated into buying property and settling over there?

PS Wish I was allowed 7 dogs
In a response to a similar question elsewhere someone commented online that most open minded Brits do not hold the population of Germany responsible for what happened 70 years ago. I dont think its an entirely accurate analogy for a variety of reasons but I was encouraged reading that. If we lay guilt at peoples feet for the actions of their forefathers it tends to keep conflicts alive.

So far I have experienced no less friendliness than experienced with Irish chums living in the UK - hopefully you take the person as they are rather than the state or political system they were accidentally born in.