Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

PPS Number - advice please!

PPS Number - advice please!

Old Dec 5th 2008, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

RogerLaura has a brilliant futureRogerLaura has a brilliant futureRogerLaura has a brilliant futureRogerLaura has a brilliant futureRogerLaura has a brilliant futureRogerLaura has a brilliant future
Default PPS Number - advice please!

Hi people. Any advice on the PPS number? We are looking to rent a house and the issue of having the PPS number in order to start the lease has raised it's head, but you can't get one until you are resident and have an address.... any advice on this chicken and egg situation?

We will be heading over next weekend with the intention of finding a place to live, but I am imagining this being a sticking point.

Would a letter of confirmation of employment from our irish employer go any way to helping things?

Let me know what you think....

Thanks!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:11 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: PPS Number - advice please!

RogerLaura where you from ?
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

RogerLaura has a brilliant futureRogerLaura has a brilliant futureRogerLaura has a brilliant futureRogerLaura has a brilliant futureRogerLaura has a brilliant futureRogerLaura has a brilliant future

We're from the UK!
Old Dec 7th 2008, 9:25 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RogerLaura
We're from the UK!
We went up to Oisin House, 212-213 Pearse Street, Dublin 2.

My auntie wrote a letter saying we were living with her and they accepted that. Mind you, they didnt accept my Irish passport cos i was born in London. I had to go back with my birth cert next day. Very annoying after waiting to be called up for 90 mins. But when i did go back they saw me straight off.

When you go in you take a ticket and wait your turn. Lots of students and new immigrants there so go early.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

jomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nice

Hi people. Any advice on the PPS number? We are looking to rent a house and the issue of having the PPS number in order to start the lease has raised it's head, but you can't get one until you are resident and have an address.... any advice on this chicken and egg situation?

We will be heading over next weekend with the intention of finding a place to live, but I am imagining this being a sticking point.

Would a letter of confirmation of employment from our irish employer go any way to helping things?

Thanks!

we came out to live in August. Found a house whilst visiting in July accepted it the owner accepted a cheque as deposit took it off rental market . We arrived In Aug met the agent here exchanged keys and rent advance all without a pps number!!!! I did have a job offer and the guy was happy enough with that. We then got a pps. The bank aib even opened an account with a letter from my employer stating i had a job gross salary etc so i think you needn't worry. They are very laid back and not as caught up with 'rules' here!!! We love it , good luck with the move !
Old Dec 8th 2008, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: PPS Number - advice please!

Thanks for that Jomac. Good to know. A couple of the agents have got back to us with similar advice, so it sounds like that'll sort itself. We will be heading over this weekend, so should have something in place for the New Year.

You've also answered another question w ehad about bank accounts, so two birds with one stone. Cheers!

Then there's the removal side of things to arrange, but that's another story... and thread!
Old Dec 12th 2008, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

zooter1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

A couple of things to beware of that I found when I moved over (and I've found out since):

PPS numbers are only being given out on certain days now, and at certain times - certainly they are at my local office in Dublin 1 - you should ring ahead just to check that.

I was lucky in that my landlord accepted that I couldn't get PPS number without proof of address, so just accepted a letter from my new company stating I'd got a job, when I started etc. When I signed the contract, I took my copy of the contract to Social Welfare office and they accepted that as proof of residence.

As for banking - My boss suggested that I go to the bank and the very branch that the company used and it might speed things up. Company wrote me a letter also - none of this was good enough for the bank - they wanted as a minimum the letter from Social Welfare (obviously addressed to my new Irish address) telling me what my PPS number was. This delayed getting a bank account for 2 weeks - so beware!

Also on banking, I know this is a bit off topic now, but if you want a Credit Card, beware. I had a perfect credit rating in the UK, but that counted for nothing here. I had to bring in 6 months of statements from UK, plus my full credit file (from Experian) just to get a measly €2000 credit limit. They suggested I'd have had a better chance if I'd have had a CC or bank account with their UK subsidiary - might be worth consideration???

Hope that helps
Old Dec 12th 2008, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

gaelgoir is an unknown quantity at this point

Evening all,

Here is a link which includes information about PPS numbers. You might have to scroll down a bit to "I'm moving to Ireland soon, how do I get a PPSN?.

All the best and you are all welcome, hope you enjoy it here.... apart from the weather that is!

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/ca...m=PPS%20number
Old Jan 17th 2009, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

GUFF will become famous soon enough

Thanks!
A PPS number is not essential inorder to rent in Dublin. All the places ive lived in I got off www.daft.ie All you need is is the moolah/proof of employment.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:19 am
Just Joined

Amy and Barry is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!
Hi there ive rented quite a few places and never been asked for a pps number thats a bit strange how you have. Be careful there a lot of people pretending to rent out places taking a deposit then no flat Hope you get some where but i wouldnt give out any personal info unless i really had to.