Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Moving with my US Spouse to Ireland?

Moving with my US Spouse to Ireland?

Old Jul 16th 2014, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryStampeder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving with my US Spouse to Ireland?

Hey guys, first a bit about myself, I do NOT hold an Irish passport and have not registered on the foreign birth index even though I am eligible because my father is an Irish man born in Ireland, and also my grandmother is an Irish woman born in Ireland. I myself hold a British passport but I'm living in the US with my American wife. Now my question is if we both wanted to relocate to Ireland, what would be the best way to go about this, am I right in thinking I can just fly there, inform the gardai we intend to stay before going to our local Gardai station to get the cert?
Old Jul 17th 2014, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with my US Spouse to Ireland?

Originally Posted by Natonstan
Hey guys, first a bit about myself, I do NOT hold an Irish passport and have not registered on the foreign birth index even though I am eligible because my father is an Irish man born in Ireland, and also my grandmother is an Irish woman born in Ireland. I myself hold a British passport but I'm living in the US with my American wife. Now my question is if we both wanted to relocate to Ireland, what would be the best way to go about this, am I right in thinking I can just fly there, inform the gardai we intend to stay before going to our local Gardai station to get the cert?
You'll have no problems living here with a British passport, but if your wife is coming with you, it might be best to register beforehand and sort things out.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"register beforehand"

How ? With who ?
Old Jul 17th 2014, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
"register beforehand"

How ? With who ?
He mentioned foreign birth index, so it would probably be best to register or ask for advice before moving.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/
Old Jul 17th 2014, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryStampeder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
He mentioned foreign birth index, so it would probably be best to register or ask for advice before moving.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/
So it would be better if I did indeed register? I've heard conflicting stories saying I should NOT register and just go as a British national, to be honest I would prefer to register and would definitely do it beforehand if it meant making things easier in terms of my US spouse coming with me
Old Jul 18th 2014, 4:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys, first a bit about myself, I do NOT hold an Irish passport and have not registered on the foreign birth index even though I am eligible because my father is an Irish man born in Ireland, and also my grandmother is an Irish woman born in Ireland. I myself hold a British passport but I'm living in the US with my American wife.
If your father was born in Ireland, then you are already an Irish citizen (by descent). One advantage, which you should be aware of, is that as the spouse of an Irish citizen your wife should be eligible for Irish citizenship after 3 years residence in Ireland, instead of the usual 5.

Have you got a U.S. green card, and if so, what's the plan for when you leave the United States? Formally give up the green card, or try to keep it for a while?

Now my question is if we both wanted to relocate to Ireland, what would be the best way to go about this, am I right in thinking I can just fly there, inform the gardai we intend to stay before going to our local Gardai station to get the cert?
Perhaps research at Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service Home Page
You don't need any permit, either with a British citizen passport, or an Irish passport, but your wife obviously does need one. Unless by some chance she has an entitlement to Irish citizenship herself, or the citizenship of another EEA state or Switzerland?
Old Jul 18th 2014, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So it would be better if I did indeed register? I've heard conflicting stories saying I should NOT register and just go as a British national, to be honest I would prefer to register and would definitely do it beforehand if it meant making things easier in terms of my US spouse coming with me
If it wasn't for your wife, I'd probably say the same, but since your wife isn't from an EU country, I think applying beforehand is better and makes things easier for her. I would just give them a ring and ask for information, without giving your personal details.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"Foreign Birth Index" does not come up as a term on that Irish Govt website.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizen...foreign-birth/

It says: You can register your birth on the Foreign Births Register if you are eligible to become an Irish citizen. Find out what you need to do before you begin your online application.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 10:01 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Suspect this is where he might need to look..

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizen...foreign-birth/
Old Jul 20th 2014, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So it is "Foreign Births Register" !