Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Moving to Ireland - Where to start!?!

Moving to Ireland - Where to start!?!

Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:14 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Ireland - Where to start!?!

Originally Posted by suchafunkymonkey
And when that happens I'll use my winnings from the 17-time lottery rollover and buy my own country.
If you had suggested in 1945 that an Italian or a German would find it easier to enter and live in the UK than a Canadian or an New Zealander, you would have been thought mad. Yet 30 years later that was the case. And 30 years is not so very long in the course of a life, especially for people who are young.

Similarly, if someone had suggested in 1960 that people would need a passport to travel between Australia and New Zealand, that would have seemed odd, yet that was so not 20 years later.

Things do change with time: wars break out, economies collapse, diplomatic relations sour or go awry. Always expect the unexpected...
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Horus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura about

What have I missed here?

How did we get to the collapse of the EU, the UK closing it's borders, immigration into Canada, America, Australia and New Zeland, economies collapsing and 17 times roll over lottery winnings from how do I get a PPI number and should I bring over the car I have now or buy a new one?

I think this thread has gone slightly off topic and I'm surprised that someone who is a moderator has contributed to taking it off topic!

Can we get back on with it now please?
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:24 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Horus
What have I missed here?

How did we get to the collapse of the EU, the UK closing it's borders, immigration into Canada, America, Australia and New Zeland, economies collapsing and 17 times roll over lottery winnings from how do I get a PPI number and should I bring over the car I have now or buy a new one?

I think this thread has gone slightly off topic and I'm surprised that someone who is a moderator has contributed to taking it off topic!

Can we get back on with it now please?
Is it your thread, realy only the op can ask to keep it on topic?
You will find most threads deviate a bit, if the information is not required by you personally, then just discard it, maybe the op finds it useful.
I think the moderator in question was giving excellent info on why the original poster should try and get his wife British citizenship while she can.
Also the post by CPW is very interesting and shows how things can change in a few years.
Never refuse intelligent information, you never know when you might need it.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Horus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jdr
Is it your thread, realy only the op can ask to keep it on topic?
No, it's not

This has gone a bit off-topic....
I think he has done in a polite, roundabout way.

He also said

She hasn't registered as a British Citizen and I can't see why she would need to. She's Irish and has an Irish Passport with her married name on it.
So she's clearly happy with that.

I don't turn down an information, but I like to see the information I get relevant to the topic being discussed, in this instance PPS numbers, importing cars and the query about wages (which has been totally overlooked).

Another question. What is the rate of conversion for salaries? E.g. if I were earning £40k stg here, what would that be in Euros to maintain the same standard of living given differences in prices, VAT, mortgage rates etc? I've looked on the web but things seem a bit out of date.
When someone else who needs this information comes to read this thread they'll get bored after the first five posts! And before you ask if I read all the posts on this part (Ireland) of the forum when I signed up - yes I did, that's how I knew how to register my car over here and picked up a few other useful bits.

Maybe another thread should be started on reasons why Irish residents and passport holders should take out British citizenship?

Last edited by Horus; Jul 19th 2007 at 5:48 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 5:59 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Horus
No, it's not

I think he has done in a polite, roundabout way.

He also said

So she's clearly happy with that.

I don't turn down an information, but I like to see the information I get relevant to the topic being discussed, in this instance PPS numbers, importing cars and the query about wages (which has been totally overlooked).

When someone else who needs this information comes to read this thread they'll get bored after the first five posts! And before you ask if I read all the posts on this part (Ireland) of the forum when I signed up - yes I did, that's how I knew how to register my car over here and picked up a few other useful bits.

Maybe another thread should be started on reasons why Irish residents and passport holders should take out British citizenship?
I think your first answer covers it.

Pick out what info you need and forget the rest.

Feel free to start a new thread if you wish, but I feel you may struggle to get help in future with your attitude.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 8:15 am
Just Joined

suchafunkymonkey is just really nicesuchafunkymonkey is just really nicesuchafunkymonkey is just really nicesuchafunkymonkey is just really nicesuchafunkymonkey is just really nicesuchafunkymonkey is just really nicesuchafunkymonkey is just really nicesuchafunkymonkey is just really nice

I was politely trying to keep the conversation on topic but as I am asking for people's knowledge and experience, I didn't feel it was appropriate to tell someone to stop waffling about my wife not being able to return to the country if she didn't have a UK passport.

I would really like some answers about my salary question as I have no idea what salary range I should be looking at.