Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Moving to ireland from uk

Moving to ireland from uk

Old May 17th 2013, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

brum1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to ireland from uk

hi there i want to move from uk to ireland i havent a job but its a must for own safety as i have recived a death threat through the nature of my last place of work. i have a partner and a son of 2 . we have already recieved arson attacks etc moved 50mile away and still the on going intimidation carries on .. can anyone give me any advice we are just going to up and leave and hope to get help from the right people in Eire dont want to go to the north side . will be staying with a relative untill im sorted there many thanks all
Old May 17th 2013, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to ireland from uk

Advice in relation to exactly what? It sounds like a good move given your present situation, the more miles between you and "them" the better it would seem.
Old May 17th 2013, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

getting housed and help as we have nothing we havent deposit to private rent etc
Old May 17th 2013, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose that initially having a relative to shelter you is helpful.
Looking at your user name I feel you have some way to go yet, as to becoming anonymous.
One of our contributors known as Sean MacMaghnuis has made a number of posts related to using the hospitality of the Irish state to his advantage, you may wish to search these out.
Old May 18th 2013, 10:22 am
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brum1988
getting housed and help as we have nothing we havent deposit to private rent etc
Unfortunately you won't get any help whatsoever from the Irish State as you will not satisfy the Habitual Residency rules. Jobs are very scarce and I'm afraid dole money and rent allowance for you will be non existent. Your best bet might be to go up the North (Six Counties) where you should get dole etc.
Old May 18th 2013, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

thanks for replys i was on the phone to the irish embassy they told me i have every right to move there and if i have no luck with work i can claim welfare . as for being a uk citizen and E.U national that is all you need. she also told me they try and put you off on the phone but when you are there go to the welfare officea nd make an appointment and talk to somebody . so i will guess ill try it out if not then its back to the uk
Old May 18th 2013, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

taragreen is an unknown quantity at this point

Moved here six months ago - have only just found work, and it is part time so only covers the basics... Wasn't eligible for benefits, despite working full time for 25 years in the UK, I don't have any children though so maybe you would be at least covered for them. Don't expect an easy transition, work is scarce, so many positions are the "internship' where you get 50 euro a week funded by the taxpayer, but if you are prepared to work in agriculture there may be summer jobs - bear in mind the students will be looking for work now too - there's lots of help if you want to start up your own business though, and are prepared to submit business plans, etc - something I am doing now so I don't have to stack shelves with yoghurt forever here - ;-)
Old May 18th 2013, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

thanks for reply tara if i may ask what part are you residing in .I know its not going to be all smooth and easy but i gotta do whats best for me and the family all the best . i dont no if being irish decent will go in my favour but i can only try
Old May 19th 2013, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Hi Brum

I am in west limerick hills, near the Kerry border. The one thing on your side is property prices here, I was lucky enough to find a cottage with 2 acres of land for under 100k - unthinkable in the UK! If you're green fingered at all you can probably grow enough food to supplement your food shopping, food is more expensive here if you go in for all the ready meal stuff, especially Tesco, myself I only 'supermarket shop' in Lidl as it's more economical - a few chickens and you'll never need to buy an egg again - it's a different way of life here, more relaxed than the UK, but be prepared for the beauracracy, make sure you have all your paperwork, as they love a good form to fill in here - also. the weather - myself, I love a good bit of mist, but there are some days (weeks) when I can't see the end of my garden for mist and rain. The south east, waterford/wexford are lovely and the weather tends to be a bit better there. Just a bit though! Also if you're trying to be anonymous then maybe choose a larger town to live in than a village, perhaps Limerick itself which is fast becoming a Cultural Melting Pot of Africans, Lithuanians and Brazillians, in my small village, news of the Mad English Lady who moved into the old Worm Farm travelled fast, and I was surprised by the fact that everyone knew who I was before I introduced myself! In a good way though. There's plenty of agricultural work out here, as most of the young workers up and leave for greener grass and cleaner clothes elsewhere. The other option is to set up your own business - anything involving food, fuel or the basics of life seems to do well! You will get a lot of help from The System if your business involves tourism. Good luck!
Old May 19th 2013, 8:32 am
Just Joined

many thanks highly appreciate your replys for me many thanks godbless
Old Jun 27th 2013, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

I have just came back from ireland and got all info needed. With all proof and paper work can say ill be moving to ireland shortley
Old Jun 27th 2013, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Best of luck - hope it works out for you - it has taken me 8 months but I finally have a (part time) job - in Tesco. Not intellectually stimulating, but gives me a huge opportunity to price check Vs. LIDL as I work!
Old Jun 27th 2013, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks tara be moving to tullow soon nice little house there just awaiting the green light to get over to it .. Tesco and lidls right opposite each other there should be fun fingers crossed i may get something
Old Aug 17th 2013, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

Kevrev is an unknown quantity at this point

Taragreen I would appreciate your help and advice too. I don't want to hijack this mans thread and I cant send a pm for some reason. Would you start the pm conversation off please? Thanks, Kev