Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Moving to Ireland in one week!

Moving to Ireland in one week!

Old Jul 7th 2016, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

tomandroz is just really nicetomandroz is just really nicetomandroz is just really nicetomandroz is just really nicetomandroz is just really nicetomandroz is just really nicetomandroz is just really nicetomandroz is just really nice
Default Moving to Ireland in one week!

Hi,

We are a well traveled family of six who will be arriving in Ireland next week to start a new adventure!

We are British citizens who have lived in the Uk, Australia and most recently Scotland. We have four young children and are in the fortunate position of having secured employment and housing. Additionally the children are also allocated school placements come September.

So, the reason for posting is? Now we have the basics in place what advice can anyone offer us in terms of making a positive start to our new life?

Any advice on the best bank? Any help with getting involved with our new community? broadband providers? Mobile phone service providers? based on your own experiences?

We are moving to Co. Donegal and look forward to hearing from anyone who can offer us some further advice!

Regards,

TomandRoz
Old Jul 9th 2016, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Zelda247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Ireland in one week!

Please bear in mind you will need to consider private health insurance as the Irish medical system does not compare with the NHS. We have typical waiting lists of 1.5 years to see a consultant.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 9:37 am
Just Joined

tomandroz is just really nicetomandroz is just really nicetomandroz is just really nicetomandroz is just really nicetomandroz is just really nicetomandroz is just really nicetomandroz is just really nicetomandroz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Zelda247
Please bear in mind you will need to consider private health insurance as the Irish medical system does not compare with the NHS. We have typical waiting lists of 1.5 years to see a consultant.
Hi, Thanks for your reply. Yes also sorted as well. With a young family it was fairly high on the to-do list!
Old Jul 17th 2016, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Well, that's it. House is packed just waiting for the lorry to turn up first thing in the morning, and it's Ireland here we come!
Old Jul 17th 2016, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I am being nosey - how will you earn your daily bread ?
Old Jul 17th 2016, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryStampeder is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll be following along here too, I'm moving back home with my American wife next year!
Old Jul 17th 2016, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
I am being nosey - how will you earn your daily bread ?
Hi,

No problem! Veterinary Science.

Regards,

TomandRoz
Old Jul 17th 2016, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Natonstan
I'll be following along here too, I'm moving back home with my American wife next year!
Hi,

Congrats! I hope your move is smooth and pain free.

Regards,

TomandRoz
Old Jul 19th 2016, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Well, that's us landed and nearly unpacked. In what I must say has been some truly spectacular weather! also we have so far received a very warm welcome.

We now have a lot of re-adjusting to do and get everyone settled in.

Regards,

TomandRoz
Old Jul 20th 2016, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomandroz
Hi,

Well, that's us landed and nearly unpacked. In what I must say has been some truly spectacular weather! also we have so far received a very warm welcome.

We now have a lot of re-adjusting to do and get everyone settled in.

Regards,

TomandRoz

Congratulations and you couldn't have picked a better day, although people were already complaining about the heat. Back to normal today, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the adventure. Only been to Donegal once, but seemed like Donegal Town was a very friendly place and the beaches around there are amazing.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Congratulations and you couldn't have picked a better day, although people were already complaining about the heat. Back to normal today, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the adventure. Only been to Donegal once, but seemed like Donegal Town was a very friendly place and the beaches around there are amazing.

Hi, I too was cursing the heat! but back to normal today. Yes very, very friendly everyone has made us feel very welcome. Just need to get our heads around the waste collection process, not so straight forward as Oz or the UK.

Regards,

TomandRoz
Old Sep 5th 2016, 10:13 pm
Banned

EndaKenny is an unknown quantity at this point

Best of luck with your move.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 9:02 am
Just Joined

emmareeves is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We are 99% moving to NW ireland in the near future, also in Cornwall atm....How was your move? Sorry to ask but im having AARRGGHHH moments....any advice would be fab xxxx