moving to ireland

Old Jul 4th 2010, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

wendywu67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile moving to ireland

hoping t move t republic of ireland soon,got house up f sale.hopefully we will be mortgage free if we get a property cheap enough.ther is me me hubby and me 2 kids.my hubby is a plumber and will work f himself.my worry is what if we run out of money and need help,can we claim any benefits as british citizens.or would we be sent back to england,i do have lots of family ther,hope you can help xxx thanks wendy xxx
Old Jul 5th 2010, 7:18 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to ireland

Originally Posted by wendywu67
hoping t move t republic of ireland soon,got house up f sale.hopefully we will be mortgage free if we get a property cheap enough.ther is me me hubby and me 2 kids.my hubby is a plumber and will work f himself.my worry is what if we run out of money and need help,can we claim any benefits as british citizens.or would we be sent back to england,i do have lots of family ther,hope you can help xxx thanks wendy xxx
Wendy, dont wanna be doom and gloom but research plumbing jobs where you're moving to. The construction industry here is at a complete standstill. There must be hundreds of plumbers out of work at the moment. Im currently not working and dont receive any unemployment/job seekers benefit based on my wife's salary, which is less that we earned jointly in London. I cant get on any courses either from FAS cos i dont get unemployment, which is what i really wanted to do. Its a big circle of shyte!

Last edited by Londonuck; Jul 5th 2010 at 7:21 am.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 11:42 am
Just Joined

wendywu67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: moving to ireland

hi londonuck
i was'n't expecting such a negative response
but thanks anyway

can anyone else help i am now confused
Old Jul 5th 2010, 12:10 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

hi londonuck
i was'n't expecting such a negative response
but thanks anyway

can anyone else help i am now confused
Sorry mate just the way it is here right now. You might have better luck.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Wendy, dont wanna be doom and gloom but research plumbing jobs where you're moving to. The construction industry here is at a complete standstill. There must be hundreds of plumbers out of work at the moment. Im currently not working and dont receive any unemployment/job seekers benefit based on my wife's salary, which is less that we earned jointly in London. I cant get on any courses either from FAS cos i dont get unemployment, which is what i really wanted to do. Its a big circle of shyte!
did you get your fingers in a twist there mate,,,,should that be "circle of life" from The Lion King?????
Old Jul 5th 2010, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Horus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura about

A negative response it might be but it's also a realistic one - no on here would want to fill you with false hope.

The building trade here is right down in the dumps at the moment - has been for a couple of years now. I would seriously be concerned about coming over here as a self employed plumber if you have nothing to fall back on and would have to rely on benefits.

I know a builder who came over here in the boom and was earning £4k a week - he's now working in a shop on £400 a week. Land of milk and honey this isn't anymore.

But if you decide to have a bash at it I wish you good luck and if you move to Dublin post your details here in case any of us need a plumber.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:38 am
Just Joined

DaveMK is just really niceDaveMK is just really niceDaveMK is just really niceDaveMK is just really niceDaveMK is just really niceDaveMK is just really niceDaveMK is just really niceDaveMK is just really nice

Originally Posted by Horus
A negative response it might be but it's also a realistic one - no on here would want to fill you with false hope.

The building trade here is right down in the dumps at the moment - has been for a couple of years now. I would seriously be concerned about coming over here as a self employed plumber if you have nothing to fall back on and would have to rely on benefits.

I know a builder who came over here in the boom and was earning £4k a week - he's now working in a shop on £400 a week. Land of milk and honey this isn't anymore.

But if you decide to have a bash at it I wish you good luck and if you move to Dublin post your details here in case any of us need a plumber.
Im sorry but I have to agree with the above statements. If you have a job offer already then obviously thats a different story but coming over as self employed is very risky unless you can afford to lose huge sums of money just trying it out.

The Irish economy is on its knees. Highly qualified people are fighting for jobs in fast food takeaways and supermarkets. There was a time when there was silly money to be made but that is no more. Now its like rats leaving a sinking ship. As well as that the cost of living as you probably will know is crazy high.

Yes its doom and gloom but its true.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

scrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nice

I agree in that you'd be mad to come to Ireland now looking for a job in construction. My husband (Welder) has been out of work for over a year now and we're likely emigrating soon. The news is full of stories and figures about the numbers of Irish people emigrating now, and I'm sure the majority of them are from the construction industry. If your husband can secure a fulltime job, that at least would get you started. The way things are here at the moment though, that could disappear fast. It's a cyclical effect where one business can't afford to pay its debts to the next, then the next can't afford to pay staff and lets them go, can't afford to pay the next business and so on ... the banks aren't helping either.

As you have paid credits in the UK you'll be entitled to get Dole here (as any other EU citizen) so that won't be a problem. The unfortunate truth is that your husband may have to sign on the minute ye arrive