Reload this Page >

Moving from Glasgow to Dublin

Moving from Glasgow to Dublin

Old Jan 28th 2010, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

titanscot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from Glasgow to Dublin

Hello everybody. Hope you are all well.

Just to let you know, I have used the search function, but found many posts years old, and really need some up to date information, thanks

I am a 25 year old single guy who, given the work situation in the UK, would rather move to Ireland than move to England for work.

I generally do computer networking jobs, and I have been offered a role that is around 45k-50k euros, but with quite a few other benefits on top of this that I am satisfied with. I am awaiting the contract to peruse and, if satisifed, sign. Location is around about the "Cherrywood Science and Technology Park" area, but not definite yet.

Having never been to the Irish Republic, let alone Northern Ireland, I am unfamiliar with what to expect when I arrive in Dublin. I am aware renting is quite expensive.

Thing is, I'm actually quite into slightly more rural areas (ie: not the Dublin high street!) and don't mind a 30 minute train-journey to work in the morning. I may buy a car in the future, but on arrival I'd like to live slightly rural but with access (10/15/20 minute walk perhaps?) to a train station.

I've seen some really cracking houses North of Dublin in rural parts for 600/650 euros per month, and I'm severely tempted by that. A 20 minute walk to a train station is the same walk I would be doing from a flat in the city centre to work anyway most likely.

With this in mind, could anybody please provide information as to suitable locations in or around Dublin to start looking for a flat or house to stay in? Although the salary is relatively ok I would still like to try save up some money.

The reason I am posting is because I don't think the company will give me a huge amount of time to look for accommodation, and I don't want to lose a job offer based on my lack of knowledge of anything Irish, except the fact I'm Scottish. I'm also a single guy, so totally rural is not ideal, but as I mentioned the high street is probably also not ideal.

Any other parted would be greatly appreciated! I have already read on this forum through the search function that certain life necessities are more expensive than Scotland (Glasgow), but I imagine overall it's much the same.

Last edited by titanscot; Jan 28th 2010 at 8:59 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Glasgow to Dublin

The Irish economy is probably in worse situation compared to the UK right now.

In any case, as a British citizen you can move to Ireland if you wish, but you need to accept it is moving to another country with a lot of cultural/bureaucracy issues.

Would Northern Ireland be an option instead? If the role is based in northern areas of Dublin, commuting may be an option, at least for a while.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

titanscot is an unknown quantity at this point

From my point of view, given the relatively high salary on offer, it may actually benefit me if the economy is in a bad way. That perhaps mean more purchasing power to me in terms of accommodation, second hand vehicle, etc.

It may come to nothing, but if it all goes ahead I will likely just head over all the same, as 'you only live once'
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

scrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nice

Two things you need to get acquainted with pretty quickly are a map of Dublin and maps and timetables of the public transport routes (Dublin Bus, Luas, Dart). Your idea of a 30 min commute may be slightly optimistic!!

Cherrywood is in south county Dublin and the Luas doesn't go that far yet. It will in 2011 but not for this year. Not sure what buses go down there, but you can get the Luas (green route) to the final stop of Sandyford and there is a shuttle bus from there on to Cherrywood at certain times in the morning.

On a salary of 45-50k, you'll probably take home 35-40k so that should well afford you your accommodation. Living in North county Dublin is most likely a no no given that you'll be working in the far south of Dublin. Rents will be a lot cheaper in Nth county Dublin as there was a huge housing boom there and there are a large number of places to chose from in a lot of new suburbs. Travelling from there on public transport would be a nightmare though as you'd have to commute to city centre and then begin your commute southbound (Luas 25 mins from Stephens green to Sandyford + shuttle ?? mins). If you got a car, you'd be travelling along the dreaded M50 during peak hours which is expensive and def an experience you should avoid opting in for on a daily basis if you can.

You could either live in North county Wicklow (e.g. Bray) or some of the suburbs around Cherrywood in sth county Dublin (Dun Laoghaire, Stepaside, Shankill). Prices vary with Wicklow being cheaper than Dublin. Again, you really need to get a good look at the public transport routes before you'd consider any area. Personally I'd avoid anywhere that involves getting a bus that isn't on a Quality Bus Corridor (QBC) as they often dont turn up at all. Places along the Luas or Dart lines would be better.

JAJ: Just wondering why you often encourage people who post that they are considering moving to the Republic to consider moving to N.Ireland instead? Did you have a such an awful experience in the Republic?
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 2:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scrudu
JAJ: Just wondering why you often encourage people who post that they are considering moving to the Republic to consider moving to N.Ireland instead? Did you have a such an awful experience in the Republic?
Nothing like that. It's simply an option that mainland UK residents don't always consider and it gives life in Ireland (island) while remaining within the same country. Which has its advantages from the point of view of investments, children's education, bureaucracy, etc.

Non-British, especially non-EEA citizens, may find the UK immigration/naturalisation system a lot more straightforward to deal with.

Of course, some want specifically to live in the Republic of Ireland and that's ok.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:25 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by titanscot
Hello everybody. Hope you are all well.

Just to let you know, I have used the search function, but found many posts years old, and really need some up to date information, thanks

I am a 25 year old single guy who, given the work situation in the UK, would rather move to Ireland than move to England for work.

I generally do computer networking jobs, and I have been offered a role that is around 45k-50k euros, but with quite a few other benefits on top of this that I am satisfied with. I am awaiting the contract to peruse and, if satisifed, sign. Location is around about the "Cherrywood Science and Technology Park" area, but not definite yet.

Having never been to the Irish Republic, let alone Northern Ireland, I am unfamiliar with what to expect when I arrive in Dublin. I am aware renting is quite expensive.

Thing is, I'm actually quite into slightly more rural areas (ie: not the Dublin high street!) and don't mind a 30 minute train-journey to work in the morning. I may buy a car in the future, but on arrival I'd like to live slightly rural but with access (10/15/20 minute walk perhaps?) to a train station.

I've seen some really cracking houses North of Dublin in rural parts for 600/650 euros per month, and I'm severely tempted by that. A 20 minute walk to a train station is the same walk I would be doing from a flat in the city centre to work anyway most likely.

With this in mind, could anybody please provide information as to suitable locations in or around Dublin to start looking for a flat or house to stay in? Although the salary is relatively ok I would still like to try save up some money.

The reason I am posting is because I don't think the company will give me a huge amount of time to look for accommodation, and I don't want to lose a job offer based on my lack of knowledge of anything Irish, except the fact I'm Scottish. I'm also a single guy, so totally rural is not ideal, but as I mentioned the high street is probably also not ideal.

Any other parted would be greatly appreciated! I have already read on this forum through the search function that certain life necessities are more expensive than Scotland (Glasgow), but I imagine overall it's much the same.

Cherrywood isnt far from me. I live in Greystones about 20 mins south of there. Its well served by the N11 which runs all the way down to Wexford. In the mornings the traffic is ok, its builds up a bit at Bray, but im a Londoner and everywhere has less traffic. Bray, Gstones, Kilcoole, Newcastle and Newtownmountkennedy are all along the N11/M50 into Wicklow for a quieter lifestyle and its not hard to get into work from there. Being younger you might want to look at into town a bit more. Dalky, Killiney and Blackrock, (Mick will be along in a minute) are lovely places as is anywhere a long the Dart line south of the city.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

now then londonuck, if all the houses in blackrock are sold or rented when i finally get a move on,we are coming to camp in your front garden and no arguments about it.
anyhoo,seems to be livening up a bit on here doesn't it? lots of new blood so to speak,lots of peeps wanting to move to the holy ground...good. as long as we keep the undesirables out,and we all know who you are!!!!!!!
keeping an eye on my favourite property site,daft,it seems houses are beginning to shift at long last. good.
my best mate still lives in bray, mountain view drive,I bet you have been down there once or twice...do you ever get to know any other taxi-drivers mate? I used to know one,sean mcgovern,who used to work out of dun laoghaire. my brother came home from england once,unannounced,and as it was too early to wake the ma up,he started to get in through the bathroom window,which faced out onto the street. sean was passing with a fare from the boat,saw my bro half in and half out,stopped his cab and pulled him out onto the garden. he was going to give him a right going over but at the last minute recognised the features,,,red hair,freckles,beady blue eyes(slightly crossed),black teeth,scrawny torso,hump,limp and one ear. my brother sure enough. twin in fact. identical.
ah the good old days.