moving to cork, Ireland

Old Mar 24th 2014, 10:52 am
Just Joined

peter carroll is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to cork, Ireland

Hi.
Would just like a bit of advice. I am on a British passport living in Zimbabwe. My Grandparents were both born in Ireland so I can get an irish passport. I am married to a Seychelles citizen who lives with me in Zimbabwe. We have been married for 8years and have a son of 4years old. He is on a Seychelles passport as I could not get a British passport for him. I want to move to Cork due to the economic situation and exorbitant school fees in Zimbabwe. I have a friend there willing to help me out till I get settled. what would the procedure be for me to work and live there as well as my wife?. In general, how is life in cork?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Peter Carroll
Old Mar 24th 2014, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Kevrev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to cork, Ireland

As you are on a british passport and you have Irish roots you will have no problem. Tbh I don't know if you will get an Irish passport but why would you want one? It isn't needed for anything. You are perfectly entitled to live and work in Ireland as a british passport holder especially with Irish roots. You WILL need to get a PPS number from the job centre. As far as your family are concerned I don't know so il leave it sick n tired or one of the other members who do know
Old Mar 24th 2014, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much for your reply. All the information I can get is very much appreciated. Do you by any chance live in cork as I would also like to find out about Cork in general and the job situation? I would also really like to know what age kids start school at?
Thanks again. Peter

Last edited by peter carroll; Mar 24th 2014 at 12:02 pm. Reason: wanted to also find out about school.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

I currently live in the uk but am moving over myself soon, heading for Roscommon. The job situation all over Ireland is pretty shit tbh unless you have a "trade" and even then its hardly rosy. Sorry to be negative but its better you know now than when you get there. Heres a thread listing most if not all of the job seekers websites

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=812672
Old Mar 25th 2014, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

I wouldn't recommend getting an Irish passport. If you do have Irish citizenship, you will not be able to take advantage of the Directive 2004/38/EC on Free Movement. This might complicate matters for bringing your non-EEA partners to Ireland.

See this for more details of the EEA route: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages...0Rights%20FAQs
Old Mar 26th 2014, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kevrev
I currently live in the uk but am moving over myself soon, heading for Roscommon. The job situation all over Ireland is pretty shit tbh unless you have a "trade" and even then its hardly rosy. Sorry to be negative but its better you know now than when you get there. Heres a thread listing most if not all of the job seekers websites

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=812672
The job situation is only s... if you go to palces like Roscommon, but even there you can find employment if you really want. Just don't be too far away from the cities and you'll be able to commute. Again it probably depends what your doing but we're constantly looking for people with a 2nd language in IT. I've spoken to people in the building trade around Galway and they complain they have too much work. One thing I don't understand here is that you have to chase people when you want to give them work. We were looking to get our house painted and I contacted a painter. He said he'd be around over the weekend and never came. I texted him and no reply, so I rang a Polish guy and he was there straight away. He was flexible and did a great job. Same when we wanted to insulate the attic. Rang a company and the guy was busy, said he'd ring back in 20mins but didn't. 2 weeks later he rang me and I said sorry I got somebody else. Of course it's tough if you want to drive the newest Audi and have a 5 bed house, but that's the same everywhere. There are plenty of farming jobs around too, but people don't want to do them. If you're realistic and flexible you can manage and in other places across Europe people would only dream to have what some have here.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 11:26 am
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
The job situation is only s... if you go to palces like Roscommon, but even there you can find employment if you really want. Just don't be too far away from the cities and you'll be able to commute. Again it probably depends what your doing but we're constantly looking for people with a 2nd language in IT. I've spoken to people in the building trade around Galway and they complain they have too much work. One thing I don't understand here is that you have to chase people when you want to give them work. We were looking to get our house painted and I contacted a painter. He said he'd be around over the weekend and never came. I texted him and no reply, so I rang a Polish guy and he was there straight away. He was flexible and did a great job. Same when we wanted to insulate the attic. Rang a company and the guy was busy, said he'd ring back in 20mins but didn't. 2 weeks later he rang me and I said sorry I got somebody else. Of course it's tough if you want to drive the newest Audi and have a 5 bed house, but that's the same everywhere. There are plenty of farming jobs around too, but people don't want to do them. If you're realistic and flexible you can manage and in other places across Europe people would only dream to have what some have here.
Sounds as if you live in Paradise.

Income tax at 20% for the first 32k and the rest at 42%
Property Tax, a low €585 per year, and will increase 15% every year as the councils can increase by that amount each year.

Where are all these farming jobs you speak of?

The reason Tradesmen don't seem keen is they probably don't know you. There is a culture here of "catch you next time" when it comes to getting paid.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sickntired
Sounds as if you live in Paradise.

Income tax at 20% for the first 32k and the rest at 42%
Property Tax, a low €585 per year, and will increase 15% every year as the councils can increase by that amount each year.

Where are all these farming jobs you speak of?

The reason Tradesmen don't seem keen is they probably don't know you. There is a culture here of "catch you next time" when it comes to getting paid.
Never said paradise but there's a boat in the morning. Go to other places and you'll see how prices have gone up over the years and if you value your home at 300-350K you must have a mansion (if you're not living in Dublin). Anyway, you can't compare other countries and the tax charged is perfectly fine for what you're getting. I've lived in other countries and had far less money and was taxed higher. If you obviously are a heavy smoker or drinker don't stay here, but if you want a cheap cottage and don't want to live in a tiny apartment the West might be for you. People always want the highest wages, lowest taxes and expect to get a huge mansion and everything free, but please be realistic. I don't know anybody where I lived in Germany who had a minimum wage job (actually doesn't exist in Germany) and could afford a 4 bed house with 0.5 acres. and people I know have it here. The reason Tradesmen don't seem keen is they probably don't know you. If that was the case then why are they in the trade LOL. Ireland had one of the highest wages in Europe and people (especially builders) just got jobs thrown at them. Of course it's changed and you actually have to look for work now like it has been in any other European country for years. Where are all the farming jobs? Just look around and you'll see fields everywhere. People just have to change there ways and adapt, otherwise you'll never be happy. If Spain or any other country is so great, just learn the language (free over internet) and book a cheap flight.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

'Catch you next time' doesn't work if there never is a 'first time'.

This is a problem that I've also seen throughout Northern Ireland (where I'm from). My father called local companies to get things done (even ones where he knew the staff/boss) and they were all up for it on the phone. However, in the end, they either did a useless job or didn't turn up etc. Some of the 'foreigners' as my grandfather calls them (e.g. Portuguese/Polish) did a good job at a better price. This really makes you think. Why bother to try to give the work to people who make you beg for it?

Personally, I don't care who does the work, as long as it gets done.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Moses do you know anyone in Roscommon who might be able to help me out with a job?
Old Mar 26th 2014, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chaoclive
'Catch you next time' doesn't work if there never is a 'first time'.

This is a problem that I've also seen throughout Northern Ireland (where I'm from). My father called local companies to get things done (even ones where he knew the staff/boss) and they were all up for it on the phone. However, in the end, they either did a useless job or didn't turn up etc. Some of the 'foreigners' as my grandfather calls them (e.g. Portuguese/Polish) did a good job at a better price. This really makes you think. Why bother to try to give the work to people who make you beg for it?

Personally, I don't care who does the work, as long as it gets done.
Exactly It's not just my experience but several work colleagues had the same. You have someone on the phone and they want the job, but if they don't come or call I assume they don't need work. I never said Ireland is paradise, but there are jobs out there and I know so many people buying property now and need things done. If someone comes at the time arranged, does a good job, I'll recommend them.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kevrev
Moses do you know anyone in Roscommon who might be able to help me out with a job?
Don't know anyone in Roscommon, but what are you looking for?
Old Mar 26th 2014, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for all the information. Does anyone here live in cork? And does anyone have any information about schooling? Does anyone know the common jobs available in cork?
Thanks again. Peter
Old Mar 26th 2014, 5:16 pm
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Never said paradise but there's a boat in the morning. Go to other places and you'll see how prices have gone up over the years and if you value your home at 300-350K you must have a mansion (if you're not living in Dublin). Anyway, you can't compare other countries and the tax charged is perfectly fine for what you're getting. I've lived in other countries and had far less money and was taxed higher. If you obviously are a heavy smoker or drinker don't stay here, but if you want a cheap cottage and don't want to live in a tiny apartment the West might be for you. People always want the highest wages, lowest taxes and expect to get a huge mansion and everything free, but please be realistic. I don't know anybody where I lived in Germany who had a minimum wage job (actually doesn't exist in Germany) and could afford a 4 bed house with 0.5 acres. and people I know have it here. The reason Tradesmen don't seem keen is they probably don't know you. If that was the case then why are they in the trade LOL. Ireland had one of the highest wages in Europe and people (especially builders) just got jobs thrown at them. Of course it's changed and you actually have to look for work now like it has been in any other European country for years. Where are all the farming jobs? Just look around and you'll see fields everywhere. People just have to change there ways and adapt, otherwise you'll never be happy. If Spain or any other country is so great, just learn the language (free over internet) and book a cheap flight.
I personally don't need a boat in the morning I am reasonably well off.

You work for an American Multi National getting a reasonable salary, I presume. When you're let go at a time you thought the job was secure, children in school, manageable mortgage - the whole pile of shite comes crashing down. Maybe then you'll understand what happened to a lot of people in Ireland and cut this notion of some sort of Utopia.

Please try and structure your reply in paragraphs, it's easier to read.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Don't know anyone in Roscommon, but what are you looking for?
Im trying to send you a pm but the only option is email for some reason :P Tbh I don't care, as long as I can pay the bills im happy. Maybe you can pm me and I reply, see if that works ...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.