Irish Passport

Old Jun 15th 2020, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Irish Passport

I have been told that as I have an Irish grandfather I am eligible for an Irish Passport. Like many others I am trying to hedge my future as Brexit looms, and I want to continue to be recognised as European (even though I live in Hong Kong, for now...).

Anyway, I contacted my sister who is the "gate keeper" of family documents and on asking for a copy of my mother's birth certificate - and on giving the reasons why, she informed me that my grandfather's name does not appear on my mother's birth certificate, and that no one in the family know why this is.

My mother was the eldest of five children, and when you compare them altogether it's abundantly clear to see that they all share the same family features. My only guess on why my grandfather's name does not appear on my Mum's birth certificate is that my Mum was born out of wedlock, and so there is a stigma there, given that this was in about 1922, when times were different.

Is there any other way that I can prove that my grandfather was who he says he was and that I can apply for an Irish passport?

Thanks in advance of any replies,

Richard
Old Jun 15th 2020, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irish Passport

Originally Posted by sportpix
I have been told that as I have an Irish grandfather I am eligible for an Irish Passport. Like many others I am trying to hedge my future as Brexit looms, and I want to continue to be recognised as European (even though I live in Hong Kong, for now...).

Anyway, I contacted my sister who is the "gate keeper" of family documents and on asking for a copy of my mother's birth certificate - and on giving the reasons why, she informed me that my grandfather's name does not appear on my mother's birth certificate, and that no one in the family know why this is.

My mother was the eldest of five children, and when you compare them altogether it's abundantly clear to see that they all share the same family features. My only guess on why my grandfather's name does not appear on my Mum's birth certificate is that my Mum was born out of wedlock, and so there is a stigma there, given that this was in about 1922, when times were different.

Is there any other way that I can prove that my grandfather was who he says he was and that I can apply for an Irish passport?

Richard

Registering a foreign birth

At present, it takes between 9 to 12 months to process a completed Foreign Birth Registration application. However, due to the complex nature of the Foreign Birth Registration, it may take up to 12 months to process an application. If you are an expectant parent applying to be entered on the Foreign Birth Register, you should mark this clearly on your application.

Your birth can be entered on the Foreign Births Register if you are eligible to become an Irish citizen. Find out what you need to do before you begin your online application.

https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-...foreign-birth/Adult applicant applying on the basis of an Irish born Grandparent

Documents relating to the applicant (unless stated, originals must be submitted):
  • Completed, signed and witnessed application form (see list of witnesses at 1 above)
  • Original civil birth certificate (showing parental details)
  • Original civil marriage certificate (if applicable) OR other change of name document (if applicable)
  • Photocopy of current state-issued ID document (i.e. passport, drivers licence, national identity card) certified as a true copy of the original by application form witness
  • 2 separate original proofs of address
  • 4 colour photographs (2 of which to be witnessed) – do not attach these to the application form
Documents relating to the Irish citizen parent (unless stated, originals must be submitted):
  • Original civil birth certificate of Irish citizen parent (showing parental details)
  • Original civil marriage certificate of Irish citizen parent (if applicable) OR other change of name document (if applicable)
  • Photocopy of current state-issued ID document (i.e. passport, drivers licence, national identity card) certified as a true copy of the original by a professional from the list of witnesses OR original civil death certificate (if applicable)
Documents relating to the grandparent born in Ireland (unless stated, originals must be submitted):
  • Original civil birth certificate of Irish born grandparent (showing parental details)
  • Original civil marriage certificate of Irish born grandparent (if applicable) OR other change of name document (if applicable)
  • Photocopy of current state-issued ID document (i.e. passport, drivers licence, national identity card) certified as a true copy of the original by a professional from the list of witnesses OR original civil death certificate (if applicable)
Old Jun 15th 2020, 11:15 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Richard
I know nothing about legalities on this subject but wondered whether your grandfather is named on any other documents. Did he marry your mothers mother at a later date, is he named on the other children´s birth certificates so that you can prove a link, is he named on your mothers wedding certificate.

Rosemary
Old Jun 15th 2020, 12:08 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Adding an unmarried father to a birth certificate simply wouldn’t have been an option in 1922. Was your mother born in the north or the south?
Old Jun 17th 2020, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I know nothing about legalities on this subject but wondered whether your grandfather is named on any other documents. Did he marry your mothers mother at a later date, is he named on the other children´s birth certificates so that you can prove a link, is he named on your mothers wedding certificate.

Rosemary
I have been trying to get my younger sister to provide such information as she is the "gate keeper" of the family documents. For some reason she is replying with one-word answers. I have emailed my elder sister to see if she has any related info, such as the location of the wedding certificate and whether or not my grandad is named on it, which I'm sure he is. I still have one aunt alive and it might be possible for one of my siblings to communicate with her and see what's on her birth certificate. I think it's a simple case of my mum being born out of wedlock, as my daughter was also also my granddaughter. It's not a new practice...
Old Jun 17th 2020, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Adding an unmarried father to a birth certificate simply wouldn’t have been an option in 1922. Was your mother born in the north or the south?
My mother was born in England. My grandfather was from a family of cattle dealers in County Cork, and was sent to England to further the business by selling Irish cattle in England. He obviously met my mother then, and things developed into a new family, although without all of the necessary paperwork we take for granted today.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 11:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

My mother was born in England. My grandfather was from a family of cattle dealers in County Cork, and was sent to England to further the business by selling Irish cattle in England. He obviously met my mother then, and things developed into a new family, although without all of the necessary paperwork we take for granted today.
https://www.gov.uk/adding-fathers-na...th-certificate
Old Mar 26th 2021, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

hughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond repute

When applying for a first time adult passport through the foreign birth register, is it necessary to send off your British passport?
I would think that the FBR certificate was enough.
Old Mar 26th 2021, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by hughandi
When applying for a first time adult passport through the foreign birth register, is it necessary to send off your British passport?
I would think that the FBR certificate was enough.
As per the above list a photocopy will suffice.
Old Mar 26th 2021, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

hughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
As per the above list a photocopy will suffice.
thanks, that is handy to know, as you never know when you need a passport for ID or other purposes during the passport processing time.
Old Jul 11th 2021, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

I applied to the Register of Foreign Births in February 2020 and have heard nothing. Anybody else waited this long (18 months) and is it time I should start to pester them ??
Old Jul 25th 2021, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
I applied to the Register of Foreign Births in February 2020 and have heard nothing. Anybody else waited this long (18 months) and is it time I should start to pester them ??
It was taking that long before COVID-19 so I dread to think what it would be now.
Old Jul 25th 2021, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

The Irish passport office website has not been a great experience for me as I started the application online and then had problems drawing the documentation together.

I later found that there had been a cyber attack on the health service computer system and this had affected the Central Register Office computer systems also, which caused further delay. I phoned the register office and they were very helpful although their computer system was still not fully resolved.
All this in the midst of disruption caused due to Covid.

Yes it would do you no harm to attempt to contact them now by phone and email.

Good luck!
Old Apr 4th 2022, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Two years two months now and not a dickie bird from the Register of Foreign Births.

Rang their call centre the other day but they can only provide general information and said not to worry as they are only just getting round to looking at applications from about the time I applied!

Last edited by Revin Kevin; Apr 4th 2022 at 9:45 am. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 4th 2022, 4:05 pm

Two years two months now and not a dickie bird from the Register of Foreign Births.

Rang their call centre the other day but they can only provide general information and said not to worry as they are only just getting round to looking at applications from about the time I applied!
That sounds about right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.