Reload this Page >

importing car to southern Ireland

importing car to southern Ireland

Old Aug 24th 2007, 10:38 am
Just Joined

bigjt11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default importing car to southern Ireland

Good morning

i have been living over in Ireland for the last couple of months, and have been driving my english registered car.

I have been told numerous things regarding registering my car in Ireland, i was wondering if anyone could help clear this up

1. you have to register your car after 6 months
2. you have to register your car after 12 months
3. if you go back to the UK more than once a year with your car you dont have to register it

i would prefer not to register it as an irish car because, when i want to sell it, i would want to do this back in the UK, and would have to convert it back to a UK car.

however i dont want to get into trouble with the police. I have owned the car for more than 6 months, so i dont need to worry about VRT

Thanks in advance

John
Old Aug 24th 2007, 10:49 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: importing car to southern Ireland

Originally Posted by bigjt11
Good morning

i have been living over in Ireland for the last couple of months, and have been driving my english registered car.

I have been told numerous things regarding registering my car in Ireland, i was wondering if anyone could help clear this up

1. you have to register your car after 6 months
2. you have to register your car after 12 months
3. if you go back to the UK more than once a year with your car you dont have to register it

i would prefer not to register it as an irish car because, when i want to sell it, i would want to do this back in the UK, and would have to convert it back to a UK car.

however i dont want to get into trouble with the police. I have owned the car for more than 6 months, so i dont need to worry about VRT

Thanks in advance

John
Im sure someone with practical knowledge will come along to answer your question, but the rules seem pretty similar in many EU states. If you are becoming a resident then you shoudn't drive a UK reg car. Going back to the UK stems from the idea of getting a new MOT and road tax to keep it legal in the country of registration, but in fact its not relevant as you dont reside there any more. Insurance may be a problem you need to ensure that your present company will cover you in the long term if you are no longer a UK resident and living there permanently.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

cbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nice

If you plan to reside in the country permanately(sp) you are meant to register it the next day you arrive. If temporary have 12 months. we had a british car for 2 years and then registered it when neighbours started asking questions. We then bought a new car in scotland and had it in the republic for 11 months and 20 days. Insured it through AA ireland with british reggie. Have returned to UK temporarily and Taxed it no bother with irish insurance. Had a policy that allowed you to drive unlimited outside ireland. THe guards are not that bothered with UK cars if you have the accent to go with it. Can always say working on contract.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 8:12 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you had no problems, but thats not the legally correct way of doing it is it, just the way you can get away with it maybe
Old Aug 25th 2007, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

cbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nice

You are legally alllowed to have it for a year if you do not plan to stay permanantely, at that point we didn't and have since left. THe comments were based on my experience on living there for 7 years.