Reload this Page >

help in moving from uk-ireland

help in moving from uk-ireland

Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:27 am
Just Joined

sio297 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help in moving from uk-ireland

hi!!

I will be moving over to Co.Kildare in Jan to be nearer to my boyfriend! Obviously this is a big move and i cant be certain it will be a permanent move, in fact i am hoping i will get into uni sept 09 so will have to move back 9 months later!(hopefully with him!)

I am slightly confused about the technicalities involved in bringing my car over from the uk...
*how does insurance cover work? my insurance is due next week, but most insurance companies only cover for a few months out of the uk, so am unsure whether to get monthly insurance and then cancel a few months after arriving in ireland and find irish insurance. but does this mean i would need to register my car in ireland?
*would i have to register my car out there anyway?
*do i need to get an international/irish licence or is my UK one enough?

so confused about what im supposed to do, where can i find out the relevant information?

any help would be appreciated!!

also is there anything else i need to be thinking about or doing before moving over?
for the PPS no i read you need to have bills etc for proof of address but how do you get them if you have only just moved?

thanks!!xx
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:13 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help in moving from uk-ireland

Originally Posted by sio297
hi!!

I will be moving over to Co.Kildare in Jan to be nearer to my boyfriend! Obviously this is a big move and i cant be certain it will be a permanent move, in fact i am hoping i will get into uni sept 09 so will have to move back 9 months later!(hopefully with him!)

I am slightly confused about the technicalities involved in bringing my car over from the uk...
*how does insurance cover work? my insurance is due next week, but most insurance companies only cover for a few months out of the uk, so am unsure whether to get monthly insurance and then cancel a few months after arriving in ireland and find irish insurance. but does this mean i would need to register my car in ireland?
*would i have to register my car out there anyway?

so confused about what im supposed to do, where can i find out the relevant information?

any help would be appreciated!!

also is there anything else i need to be thinking about or doing before moving over?
for the PPS no i read you need to have bills etc for proof of address but how do you get them if you have only just moved?

thanks!!xx

Hello

For the PPS numbers we used my aunties address. She wrote a note saying we lived with her and gave us a bill. They accepted that and the PPS numbers came a week later. With regards to the car i dont know. I bought one here cos i didnt own one in London.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

snoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant future

sio297 asked.......would i have to register my car out there anyway?

If you are moving permanently you will have to register your car and get Irish number plates. You will have to pay a fee for registration and the issue for an Irish number,(not a great amount) but as long as this is your own private car there will be no import duty payable. You can get away with not registering for about 6 months , but when you try to insure the car in Ireland you could have problems.

You can get away with using your English driving license. the disadvantage is that unlike the Irish license it does not have your photograph in it. (can be useful for ID).

The problem arises when your English license expires, you cannot renew the license on an Irish address. You could use an English relative's address, but you may have problems.

Most insurance companies don't seem to discriminate against you having an English license.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by snoopycat; Sep 15th 2008 at 8:40 pm. Reason: quoted wrong poster
Old Sep 16th 2008, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

jomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nice

The English license does now have a photo on it and it only expires when you are about 60! No driving on provisionals in UK as here. We just moved and love it good luck. It ll be an easy move we came with 3 kids 2 dogs and all our worldly possessions and furniture so i'd say you alone will be a peace of cake, but ask away and someone will be sure to help. Good Luck !
Old Sep 16th 2008, 3:35 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jomac1290
The English license does now have a photo on it and it only expires when you are about 60! No driving on provisionals in UK as here. We just moved and love it good luck. It ll be an easy move we came with 3 kids 2 dogs and all our worldly possessions and furniture so i'd say you alone will be a peace of cake, but ask away and someone will be sure to help. Good Luck !
UK photo licence has an expiry date on the front of it, usually after ten years then has to be renewed, be careful or you will get done for no licence if it has expired.
They will only renew it to a UK address also.
The old paper one used to be valid till age 70, but it is not recognized in most countries now, they only like the photo one.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 4:36 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jomac1290
Where have you settled?

Great life isnt it.