Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Handing in my resignation...

Handing in my resignation...

Old Jul 25th 2010, 6:10 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Handing in my resignation...

...from the Irish page.

Mick, keep up the good work mate.

Looks like an another adventure back to Canada is looming.

Its been fun, even the 42,000 questions about VRT.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Horus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Handing in my resignation...

Best of luck mate - place will be very quiet without you
Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

londonuck,don't go. there aren't too many people on these sites with your experiance and sense of humour. i promise you this, if you do go,i will hunt you down,i will drink your beer,and i will romance your wife(the last is only bragging).......good luck mate,,,will look out for you on other pages???
Old Jul 26th 2010, 6:33 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michaleen oge
londonuck,don't go. there aren't too many people on these sites with your experiance and sense of humour. i promise you this, if you do go,i will hunt you down,i will drink your beer,and i will romance your wife(the last is only bragging).......good luck mate,,,will look out for you on other pages???
Haha you old rascal

Dont worry i'll be back in here but not as a resident.

Tks Horus as well.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Linotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back mate.
Are you going to start back in the print business?
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:35 am
Éireann go Brách

Originally Posted by Linotype
Welcome back mate.
Are you going to start back in the print business?
Hopefully. Been two years since i pulled up a mac and booted up Quark, Indesign and Photoshop!

A good mate from Vancouver is married to a girl whos Dad ownes a lot of local newspapers and magazines. He's finding out if there's anything going.

It really isnt what you know...

Ooh christ, its inches and picas again, ahhhhh!
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Hopefully. Been two years since i pulled up a mac and booted up Quark, Indesign and Photoshop!

A good mate from Vancouver is married to a girl whos Dad ownes a lot of local newspapers and magazines. He's finding out if there's anything going.

now then londonuck,are you trying to tell me the oirish use feet and yards for their photographic needs????
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Linotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond repute

Let's not forget agates and for the continental types ciceros:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicero_%28typography%29
Old Jul 29th 2010, 7:29 am
Éireann go Brách

Originally Posted by Linotype
Let's not forget agates and for the continental types ciceros:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicero_%28typography%29
Are you ciceros?

I remember the old days when i was a kid. Myself and my mum go shopping up Oxford St and then over to the Sunday Times to meet my dad, have my name done back to front and upside down by one of the Lino boys and then down to the ST canteen for some grub. Then my dad would get back to playing cards and earning a fortune

Jesus, im sounding like Mick!
Old Jul 29th 2010, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Are you ciceros?

I remember the old days when i was a kid. Myself and my mum go shopping up Oxford St and then over to the Sunday Times to meet my dad, have my name done back to front and upside down by one of the Lino boys and then down to the ST canteen for some grub. Then my dad would get back to playing cards and earning a fortune

Jesus, im sounding like Mick!
could be worse!!!! or worser as they say in bray!!. lived in gt.portland street from '71-'74,which I believe was the hey-day of the print trade in good old fleet street...my mate worked for good ole cap'n bob,the pension thief. He told me some tales,about ghost employees,of bribes and bonuses,of two hour working days,,,,he is so nostalgic about those days. and I believe the country was stronger then,both morally and physically.
get off the soapbox mick.....which reminds me,,,do you remember the time when the chinese used to run out of the embassy in portland place and beat up the coppers outside with big bamboo poles,then run back inside again? they even tossed one of their staff out the window to the railings below and got away with it?
well,I used to supply all the embassies on portland place with their papers and periodicals,and when it came time for them to pay the bill,the chinese were terrible,talk about quibbling about half pennies....so the ambassador phoned one day to query the bill(this was during the bamboo revolution etc)and I sent my missus to the embassy to sort it out. She was nearly in tears,but I was busy that day.(oh yeah,no fool me).Surprisingly enough,when we moved from london to doncaster,the ambassadors in the embassies called us round and gave us lots of lovely pressies,the chinese gave us some bottles of whisky(don't laugh til you try it),rice wine,paintings and of course the little red book. I still have the red book. the polish ambassador tried to get me to supply him with some classified articles(I even tried whitehall press for him,,they wanted to know who wanted the said articles,,,laugh when I told them). this was about the time of the spy scandals too,the embassy driver was caught by the NOTW and exposed as a spy....fun days mate...
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:50 am
Éireann go Brách

Originally Posted by michaleen oge
could be worse!!!! or worser as they say in bray!!. lived in gt.portland street from '71-'74,which I believe was the hey-day of the print trade in good old fleet street...my mate worked for good ole cap'n bob,the pension thief. He told me some tales,about ghost employees,of bribes and bonuses,of two hour working days,,,,he is so nostalgic about those days. and I believe the country was stronger then,both morally and physically.
get off the soapbox mick.....which reminds me,,,do you remember the time when the chinese used to run out of the embassy in portland place and beat up the coppers outside with big bamboo poles,then run back inside again? they even tossed one of their staff out the window to the railings below and got away with it?
well,I used to supply all the embassies on portland place with their papers and periodicals,and when it came time for them to pay the bill,the chinese were terrible,talk about quibbling about half pennies....so the ambassador phoned one day to query the bill(this was during the bamboo revolution etc)and I sent my missus to the embassy to sort it out. She was nearly in tears,but I was busy that day.(oh yeah,no fool me).Surprisingly enough,when we moved from london to doncaster,the ambassadors in the embassies called us round and gave us lots of lovely pressies,the chinese gave us some bottles of whisky(don't laugh til you try it),rice wine,paintings and of course the little red book. I still have the red book. the polish ambassador tried to get me to supply him with some classified articles(I even tried whitehall press for him,,they wanted to know who wanted the said articles,,,laugh when I told them). this was about the time of the spy scandals too,the embassy driver was caught by the NOTW and exposed as a spy....fun days mate...
Blimey mate you need to start writing this all down.

I had to deliver to the Polish Embassy once, opposite BBC Broadcasting house, Portland Place. Couldnt find how to get into the building and all the windows were grey. After several minutes of wandering up and down swearing, someone opened a door and in i went. The grey windows were infact tinted and they were all sitting there watching me laughing.

You wouldnt believe the day i had yesterday Mick. Turns out, with all these new bs requirements for cabs that my wheelie cab doesnt now reach the new requirements to pass through and get a plate, if someone was buying it. Im stunned. Its now worthless as a taxi. I spoke to the fella who converted my cab last year, the only official place that does this, and he said that 75% of wheelchair cabs in Dublin are going to fail in 2012 and they dont even realise it. This place is an absolute joke i tell you. Ive got a bloke from Carlow interested and another bloke who i might rent the plate to til 2012 when it comes into force. It only effects new plates, i could keep using it on my plate that doesnt expire til 2012.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

rules and regs mate,rules and regs. somewhere in a huge,palatial top-floor office(all paid by you and me)there is a useless plonker sitting behind a desk. and his one and only job is to make your life and mine all the harder. he is so good at this that he gets a magnificent bonus three times a year. I used to think a revolution would sort the bassards out but I am afraid it is too late for that. go to canada where you are still(relatively)free to live your own life...grrrrrrrrr.
polish ambassador in 1972 was a mr.cendrowski,he is the one who asked me to get three publications,one of which was classified. I tried wh smith(my wholesaler)and they alerted me to this. so being bloody-minded,and only just out of the navy,I had some contacts in whitehall wireless(my last posting). they gave me the phone number and a contact at whitehall publishing(do all the military publications etc)and they had a good laugh when I told them who wanted it. remember,the cold war was very cold then.
so when cendrowski came back I told him about whitehall and he went pale. Gave me a polish jazz record,some polish vodka,and a signed photo of himself when we moved!!!!!
jog your memory here, do you remember the case of the "love jewels and patricia wolfson(sir issac wolfsons daughter)?? this was around the same time....could tell you a bit about that mate......but they would have to kill me....
Old Oct 17th 2010, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

dryroasted is an unknown quantity at this point

...from the Irish page.

Mick, keep up the good work mate.

Looks like an another adventure back to Canada is looming.

Its been fun, even the 42,000 questions about VRT.
Another expat bites the dust...I think I might be next... good luck with the move kidda!