Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Had enough of UK, off to Eire! Schools?

Had enough of UK, off to Eire! Schools?

Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

jonnolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Had enough of UK, off to Eire! Schools?

Hi all, my first post so here goes.
Grew up in Harlow, Essex, born and bred there, but numerous Summer holidays at my Dad's hometown in Cavan and my Mum's in Glanworth, Co. Cork. I've always felt that I belonged somewhere else other than the UK and a recent visit (2 days ago and pining!) confirmed that my bloodis indeed Green and that the West of Cork/Kerry beckons. I've been to this part many times and it just has that something that draw you in every time. I hated leaving.

I'm in a very privileged position financially as I have a good pension from my police service and that will always be the case. My plan is to move over with the missus and our three little ones: 4, 6 and 8. I love it there and my wife does too, though we still need to sit and talk. I also am lucky in that I own a house in the UK that I can rent out and keep; you never know. I'm 45 and the wife is 41.

My main concern is with the schools and the gaeltacht issue. Whilst I am sure the chidren will embrace the challenge, has anyone esle brought children to a gaeltacht? How did they adjust and get on? Also, with the loss of immediate family and neighbours, how have families managed to connect with others? I'm happy in a tent with a good view, but the kids ned to mix and make friends.

Any info much appreciated.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 8:01 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Had enough of UK, off to Eire! Schools?

Originally Posted by jonnolly
Grew up in Harlow, Essex, born and bred there, but numerous Summer holidays at my Dad's hometown in Cavan and my Mum's in Glanworth, Co. Cork. I've always felt that I belonged somewhere else other than the UK and a recent visit (2 days ago and pining!) confirmed that my bloodis indeed Green and that the West of Cork/Kerry beckons. I've been to this part many times and it just has that something that draw you in every time. I hated leaving.

I'm in a very privileged position financially as I have a good pension from my police service and that will always be the case. My plan is to move over with the missus and our three little ones: 4, 6 and 8. I love it there and my wife does too, though we still need to sit and talk. I also am lucky in that I own a house in the UK that I can rent out and keep; you never know. I'm 45 and the wife is 41.

My main concern is with the schools and the gaeltacht issue. Whilst I am sure the chidren will embrace the challenge, has anyone esle brought children to a gaeltacht? How did they adjust and get on? Also, with the loss of immediate family and neighbours, how have families managed to connect with others? I'm happy in a tent with a good view, but the kids ned to mix and make friends.

My mates have just moved to Oranmore with their kids - hard to please teenagers. They love it, especially the kids.

DO you have work lined up? Nice views dont put food the table
Old Mar 14th 2011, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

A really good police pension and we've two properties rented out in the UK, so financially sound,just the mechanics of the move to sort out
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was Ireland or the Republic of Ireland in the English language, however ...

If you have a parent born in Ireland or Northern Ireland then you're an Irish citizen by descent, but more importantly you can apply for your children to have Irish citizenship by the Foreign Birth Registration process.

Your wife can become naturalised Irish after 3 years residence.

Some discussion here:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Acquir...te_Citizenship
Old Mar 17th 2011, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Inse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonnolly

Although I moved across to Canada 3 years back I had previously lived in the villages of Ballyvourney, and then Cuil Aodha (Coolea). As you probably are aware these villages form part of the Muscrai Gaeltacht on the Cork/Kerry border. While there, for about 8 years or so, my wife and I made the effort to learn the Irish language. VERY difficult. However, we stuck at it, and this went down very well with the locals. I also ran a construction business and used local labour wherever I could. After some while I could converse, and write some Irish and used it whenever I could. We had my van signwritten in Irish and our address was always stated in Irish too. As you know, you can get by fine using just English, but trying with the language, for us, just seemed the right thing to do.
One of the older guys that worked for me was from the O'Riordan family, you may of heard of his father in law- Sean O'Riordan, and through him we became quite immersed in the local culture and customs. Although we had no children while there, several of our British friends did. ALL the kids got on very well at the local village schools and picked up the language well. All the schools involve the parents in a lot of the activities and there is a real community spirit there. The schools seemed to be very good.
We made many friends while we lived there and still keep in touch with many of them. The support we had from the locals for obtaining planning permission for our house was totally amazing. We had to fight the local authority every step of the way to get our permission, and as I say, the local support for us was unreal. If you are financially sound, and you seem to be, then I would not hesitate to give it a go. We only left because we could see the end of the boom on the horizon and an opportunity arose for us to emigrate to Canada.
If you want more info then perhaps you can send me a PM and then I'll give you my e-mail address so you can contact me direct.

Last edited by Inse; Mar 17th 2011 at 3:10 am.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Inse
Although I moved across to Canada 3 years back I had previously lived in the villages of Ballyvourney, and then Cuil Aodha (Coolea). As you probably are aware these villages form part of the Muscrai Gaeltacht on the Cork/Kerry border. While there, for about 8 years or so, my wife and I made the effort to learn the Irish language. VERY difficult. However, we stuck at it, and this went down very well with the locals. I also ran a construction business and used local labour wherever I could. After some while I could converse, and write some Irish and used it whenever I could. We had my van signwritten in Irish and our address was always stated in Irish too. As you know, you can get by fine using just English, but trying with the language, for us, just seemed the right thing to do.
One of the older guys that worked for me was from the O'Riordan family, you may of heard of his father in law- Sean O'Riordan, and through him we became quite immersed in the local culture and customs. Although we had no children while there, several of our British friends did. ALL the kids got on very well at the local village schools and picked up the language well. All the schools involve the parents in a lot of the activities and there is a real community spirit there. The schools seemed to be very good.
We made many friends while we lived there and still keep in touch with many of them. The support we had from the locals for obtaining planning permission for our house was totally amazing. We had to fight the local authority every step of the way to get our permission, and as I say, the local support for us was unreal. If you are financially sound, and you seem to be, then I would not hesitate to give it a go. We only left because we could see the end of the boom on the horizon and an opportunity arose for us to emigrate to Canada.
If you want more info then perhaps you can send me a PM and then I'll give you my e-mail address so you can contact me direct.

Thanks to all that replied. Yes, an email to [email protected] would be very helpful. I'm up for learning the Irish (would finally be able to singalong to the National Anthem) and I'm sure the kids would pick it up. Wife not so sure but the less she says the better! lol.
Yes dear, I am getting on with it! I'm aiming to avoid the gaeltachts directly as would like to learn by choice and to give the kids a good start, want them to be taught in English, to start anyway. So, looking at west Cork, around the areas where you were, and slightly further West. Anywhere to the left of Kinsale will do though-)

had the chance to move to canada years back, but the missus said no!
She's no longer my missus......mate lives in Salmon Arm BC. What a country

Cheers again all
Old Mar 19th 2011, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Inse
PS: And that's a good claim to fame, having O'Rirodan in the family. That's gaelic royalty, no wonder you got on-)
Old Mar 20th 2011, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

There is one thing that I am certain about and that is your children will fit in in ROI well. You and your wife will settle in too. If you decide to live in a Gaeltacht area (Irish Speaking Area) I have no doubt that all of you will learn the language. It is not easy to learn, but you will learn. English is spoken throughout Gaeltacht areas also.

Your children will not be obliged to learn Irish in school and our new government has promised to cease its Irish language obligation status.

What you are doing has been happening for hundreds of years when immigrants have becomre more Irish than the Irish themselves. In fact it is a term that is used. I'll bet that your kids will be speaking Irish, dancing Irish dances and singing Irish songs before too long after their arrival. Furthermore, I see you getting interested in Irish Sport i.e hurling and Gaelic Football. Also, I have no doubt that you and your family will be reading books by Irish authors some of which, I bet, you thought were British.

The education system here is good although listening to some newspaper columnists you might get another impression.

I would advise you do not sell your home(s) in the UK. It is always good to have to beat an organised retreat if necessary. Work is difficult to find in Ireland and you probably know we are going through a recession that is crippling the country. Well our banks (the people who caused the recession in the first place) can get along in near controlled comfort, many Irish are emigratng at the rate of 1000 per week and rising.

It is a buyers/renters market here so you should have no trouble pickup up goodpriced rentals. Believe me, there are many who will be glad of your business.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Leper
There is one thing that I am certain about and that is your children will fit in in ROI well. You and your wife will settle in too. If you decide to live in a Gaeltacht area (Irish Speaking Area) I have no doubt that all of you will learn the language. It is not easy to learn, but you will learn. English is spoken throughout Gaeltacht areas also.

Your children will not be obliged to learn Irish in school and our new government has promised to cease its Irish language obligation status.

What you are doing has been happening for hundreds of years when immigrants have becomre more Irish than the Irish themselves. In fact it is a term that is used. I'll bet that your kids will be speaking Irish, dancing Irish dances and singing Irish songs before too long after their arrival. Furthermore, I see you getting interested in Irish Sport i.e hurling and Gaelic Football. Also, I have no doubt that you and your family will be reading books by Irish authors some of which, I bet, you thought were British.

The education system here is good although listening to some newspaper columnists you might get another impression.

I would advise you do not sell your home(s) in the UK. It is always good to have to beat an organised retreat if necessary. Work is difficult to find in Ireland and you probably know we are going through a recession that is crippling the country. Well our banks (the people who caused the recession in the first place) can get along in near controlled comfort, many Irish are emigratng at the rate of 1000 per week and rising.

It is a buyers/renters market here so you should have no trouble pickup up goodpriced rentals. Believe me, there are many who will be glad of your business.

Thanks Leper. Well, I've watched the GAA games for many a year, channel four used to show them every Sunday. As for the literature? Simply the best in the world. I'm a writer for a few magazines and actually did my BA Honours degree dissertation on Roddy Doyle and Dublin!

All good info though and thanks for the help. The Gaelic language is the only stumbling block but don't see it being a bar. That's quite sad that FG are abandoning something that many strove so hard to protect. I'm sure it will carry on as it did before state intervention but even so. Even though if is something extra to learn, I don't want to see it made easier then all the frigging Brits will be over!-)
It's not just cheaper quality housing and more land though. I've been hankering to settle in Ireland for years and wish I'd done it years ago. My dear old Dad and Uncle died within months of each other and we still have the cottage in Couny Cork, but not where I want to settle. There is a quality of life in Ireland that is so unique. I know it must be hard for those struggling at the moment to appreciate what they have and familiarity does breed contempt but come and live in a cramped, packed, busy, dirty and grafitti ridden UK town and you'll soon head for home with a smile. I think Clinton got it right during his speech a few days back; easy for a millionaire to talk of the value of money but still a well put argument..:

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/For...118069709.html

Thanks again Leper, I really appreciate you taking the time to add your advice.

Oh and by the way, my Dad sadly never got to see my youngest three born, and my only son six years ago. My son's name?

'Cavan'

Cheers fella