Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Finding work in the building industry????

Finding work in the building industry????

Old Apr 10th 2006, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

john+avie is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Finding work in the building industry????

Hi,I`m John, a brickie from the uk,planning on moving to either south western Cork or Kerry.I`ve heard from a cpl of mates who have worked there that theres plenty of building work and theres a shortage of tradesmen, can anyone help????? Is,this still the case?( it was 2 years ago they last worked there)! What are wages there like compared to the uk??? Do you need to register with tax man? etc. Thanx. I`d appreciate any,all help, as I`d ideally rather stay as a brickie,than look for work in other fields!!!! Also,if we sell up here in the uk, may be looking to move over in the school summer hols-getting nearer! Bye,John.
Old May 21st 2006, 11:59 am
Just Joined

daveNsharon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finding work in the building industry????

Hi John, no end of building work here (Cork City and Ireland in general).

Call to the sites or job sites (Irishjobs.ie, monster.ie etc) and you should be sorted easily.

I dont work sites - mainly domestic, electrician, but know that brickies generally get about Euro 1 to 1.30 a block on price work (private jobs) , that'll take you awhile to make the contacts but up to yourself - you know the score... get talking to everyone you meet and maybe get started on sites.

Dave.
Old May 22nd 2006, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by daveNsharon
Hi John, no end of building work here (Cork City and Ireland in general).

Call to the sites or job sites (Irishjobs.ie, monster.ie etc) and you should be sorted easily.

I dont work sites - mainly domestic, electrician, but know that brickies generally get about Euro 1 to 1.30 a block on price work (private jobs) , that'll take you awhile to make the contacts but up to yourself - you know the score... get talking to everyone you meet and maybe get started on sites.

Dave.
Thanks Dave! Cheers! whereabouts ya from? where are ya now? Love to chat over a pint(beamish) with ya when we get over there-august.All the best.
Old May 23rd 2006, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Right John, you're on for that pint!

from Cork worked in industry for maybe 12 years(Kerry) and back again in Cork for last 5 yrs. Sharon and myself thinking seriously about Australia in next year or so, lifestyle, sun, and price of living here which is very high, hard one to decide.
Let me know closer to moving date and if I can help ya with some contacts I will, at least I can try point you in right direction. Good luck, dave
Old May 24th 2006, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Right John, you're on for that pint!

from Cork worked in industry for maybe 12 years(Kerry) and back again in Cork for last 5 yrs. Sharon and myself thinking seriously about Australia in next year or so, lifestyle, sun, and price of living here which is very high, hard one to decide.
Let me know closer to moving date and if I can help ya with some contacts I will, at least I can try point you in right direction. Good luck, dave
Hi Dave,
Doing our house up at the moment,new kitchen+bath been fitted,just gotta decorate,lounge,main bedroom+ hall,stairs,landing,then its bye england! Our house is a 50/50 own/rent,so as soon as work is done(soon),it`ll be a month b4 we`re outta here-Hate the uk,full of chavs,getting very dear too,£2.80 for a pint of decnt bitter,or guiness(no beamish here)! 99p a litre of unleaded,stealth taxes galore.Our kids are 7+10,which means the eldest is going to secondary soon,which is full of drugs+chav`s.Also I`ve been self employed for a while,last 3 years totally on my own,+ fed up with users+liars here!Seems you have to play golf,be a mason,or rotarian+ lie thru ya teeth to get work,as opposed to being able to do a good job+good tradesman.Been to Ireland 3 times now sincw 1990,love it. Family both sides(mum+dads)origanally from wexford+dublin.Just wonder what the hell I`m doing here!?When I can give my kids a better start in life over there.Love to meet up when we`re over,esp. for a pint or eight.Our plan is sell up as vacant possesion,take a holiday,back to uk,pickup dog,car,camping gear etc. put everything into storeage,then ferry to Rosslaire,drive to cork/kerry,find work,rent house for a year,get mortgage,put down deposit+ bingo we`re settled.Bye for now,John.
Old May 24th 2006, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by john+avie
Hi Dave,
Doing our house up at the moment,new kitchen+bath been fitted,just gotta decorate,lounge,main bedroom+ hall,stairs,landing,then its bye england! Our house is a 50/50 own/rent,so as soon as work is done(soon),it`ll be a month b4 we`re outta here-Hate the uk,full of chavs,getting very dear too,£2.80 for a pint of decnt bitter,or guiness(no beamish here)! 99p a litre of unleaded,stealth taxes galore.Our kids are 7+10,which means the eldest is going to secondary soon,which is full of drugs+chav`s.Also I`ve been self employed for a while,last 3 years totally on my own,+ fed up with users+liars here!Seems you have to play golf,be a mason,or rotarian+ lie thru ya teeth to get work,as opposed to being able to do a good job+good tradesman.Been to Ireland 3 times now sincw 1990,love it. Family both sides(mum+dads)origanally from wexford+dublin.Just wonder what the hell I`m doing here!?When I can give my kids a better start in life over there.Love to meet up when we`re over,esp. for a pint or eight.Our plan is sell up as vacant possesion,take a holiday,back to uk,pickup dog,car,camping gear etc. put everything into storeage,then ferry to Rosslaire,drive to cork/kerry,find work,rent house for a year,get mortgage,put down deposit+ bingo we`re settled.Bye for now,John.

Hi John, think I get the gist of it, but Christ have you really checked out the cost of living here, its gone brutal over the last 5 -7 years, property is beyond mental, realistically a minimum of Euro 300,000 for a small place (Dublin is lotto money), quality of life I dont know compared to UK, maybe a bit better but probably not, everybody busy busy busy working, most couples both working to pay mortgage, loans etc, it really has improved in lots of financial ways for some people but very difficult for anyone on minimum or average wage (which I reckon is a lot!) or anyone not yet on property ladder. A lot of the craic is gone, city center bars empty during the week and a mad splurge on the weekend, a bit manic methinks.
So whats good (trying to put my devils advocate hat on or whatever its called) .... Hmmmmm, I used to think it was the lifestyle and I dont have experience of UK (sister in London for past few years and just buying in Hove-Brighton) but from reports looks a lot similar, community disappearing, yobs, crime - a lot petty but some serious, sorry difficult to think of the good (ok the people, but thats the same as UK - sense of humor - subtle sarcastic dont ya love it, but the stress of trying to keep up with this celtic tiger b***s*** !!), maybe thats why we're thinking Oz, have you checked it out yourself ? brickie - tons of work.

As I told ya, no direct experience of building sites here but talking to the lads - plasterers, plumbers etc its a bit of a game, the money is in the land and the developers, materials haven't significantly gone up by much in last 5 years, labor has, a lot, but most of the subcontractors go in (they have to) at a low price and use apprentice or low cost labor to get the job, the general consensus out there is that build quality on the housing estates and apt blocks is shite, but lots of work at the going rate, cut-throat, it seems to be a very contract type business now though where theres no security.
Private work definitely better if you can build up the contacts and like everywhere (I think anyway) thats a matter of doing a decent honest job and a bit of customer relations and getting recommended etc. Decent money in this if you put the time and work in it and for the long term the best route I think.
But at the risk of boring ya, Ireland has changed hugely in the last 5-10 years, its the celtic tiger versus the lifestyle and lifestyle has been beaten into the ground. Might not seem like it ( to anyone reading this and thinking seriously about prozac if they have to read i more line from me!) but I'm looked at as being an optimistic bloke and I'm trying desperately to be a bit realistic.I must do a search and see what other Irish or expats have to say about living here just to check if my sanity is in question or what...

Putting you on the spot! Why Ireland ? what do you think is going to be better, for you and maybe more importantly for the kids, if its just neighbourhood, maybe move neighbourhood, town, city.
The Irish, the English - pretty similar in the world scheme of things methinks, language, customs, humor -

Taxes, including stealth ones - try the Irish Government! they're pretty cute! indirect taxes catch ya bigtime, VAT, stamp duty, rubbish, da pint (E4-5)

F*** ..I really need those antidepressants and directions to the airport

Talk to ya soon
Old May 24th 2006, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Hi John, think I get the gist of it, but Christ have you really checked out the cost of living here, its gone brutal over the last 5 -7 years, property is beyond mental, realistically a minimum of Euro 300,000 for a small place (Dublin is lotto money), quality of life I dont know compared to UK, maybe a bit better but probably not, everybody busy busy busy working, most couples both working to pay mortgage, loans etc, it really has improved in lots of financial ways for some people but very difficult for anyone on minimum or average wage (which I reckon is a lot!) or anyone not yet on property ladder. A lot of the craic is gone, city center bars empty during the week and a mad splurge on the weekend, a bit manic methinks.
So whats good (trying to put my devils advocate hat on or whatever its called) .... Hmmmmm, I used to think it was the lifestyle and I dont have experience of UK (sister in London for past few years and just buying in Hove-Brighton) but from reports looks a lot similar, community disappearing, yobs, crime - a lot petty but some serious, sorry difficult to think of the good (ok the people, but thats the same as UK - sense of humor - subtle sarcastic dont ya love it, but the stress of trying to keep up with this celtic tiger b***s*** !!), maybe thats why we're thinking Oz, have you checked it out yourself ? brickie - tons of work.

As I told ya, no direct experience of building sites here but talking to the lads - plasterers, plumbers etc its a bit of a game, the money is in the land and the developers, materials haven't significantly gone up by much in last 5 years, labor has, a lot, but most of the subcontractors go in (they have to) at a low price and use apprentice or low cost labor to get the job, the general consensus out there is that build quality on the housing estates and apt blocks is shite, but lots of work at the going rate, cut-throat, it seems to be a very contract type business now though where theres no security.
Private work definitely better if you can build up the contacts and like everywhere (I think anyway) thats a matter of doing a decent honest job and a bit of customer relations and getting recommended etc. Decent money in this if you put the time and work in it and for the long term the best route I think.
But at the risk of boring ya, Ireland has changed hugely in the last 5-10 years, its the celtic tiger versus the lifestyle and lifestyle has been beaten into the ground. Might not seem like it ( to anyone reading this and thinking seriously about prozac if they have to read i more line from me!) but I'm looked at as being an optimistic bloke and I'm trying desperately to be a bit realistic.I must do a search and see what other Irish or expats have to say about living here just to check if my sanity is in question or what...

Putting you on the spot! Why Ireland ? what do you think is going to be better, for you and maybe more importantly for the kids, if its just neighbourhood, maybe move neighbourhood, town, city.
The Irish, the English - pretty similar in the world scheme of things methinks, language, customs, humor -

Taxes, including stealth ones - try the Irish Government! they're pretty cute! indirect taxes catch ya bigtime, VAT, stamp duty, rubbish, da pint (E4-5)

F*** ..I really need those antidepressants and directions to the airport

Talk to ya soon
Haahaahaa! Nice! We`re not far away from Brighton(bognor),in answer to one question...... every-thing around here is heavily built up,look at a map between eastbourne to bognor its just one huge strip on housing! All the woods,etc. built on,no-where for the kids to see real beauty/country-side.Next answer,why Ireland.... just love the place(inc. the rain).Always had a pipe dream to live there in a little backwater village,doing up a dump/farmhouse on a little acre plot.Still acheivable I think...?Ireland always reminded me of england 50 years ago( o.k in the country).Reasons why I like it,country beautifull,great people,same language,nr. to uk if I have to visit(all tho. begrudgedly).More space,kids gotta better chance to have a proper out-door childhood than here!? Urggggggggh! What else,Oh yeah.... hate the me,me,me,me society I live in here and lack of community that I think I`d find in a tiny village in Ireland. Talking of anti-depressants,living/working here drove me to `em for a while.Had enough of this bloody chav town/county/country........ seriously need to unwind in the country,local pub,haha,somewhere quiet back water+ get another dog to walk!!!!! Thanks Dave,all the best to ya,talk soon(have a pint sooner)? John
Old May 24th 2006, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

Alright John,

been gone there for a bit checking out what the expats say about Ireland - have a look at the third one down in Ireland forums "any others living long term in ireland?" , think I agreed with almost all of it.

Been looking for past few weeks to find Irish people in Oz to check out what they saying about Oz and also on this Irish subsection but I think they're all working or shy or pissed!

Anyway you seem to have your mind made up, what does avie (?) and the kids think ?

Sometimes I think its not the where or the why but the actual decision that counts - whether good or bad in the end, its the decision that counts, you can always move on or back but by Christ you took the chance.
Old May 25th 2006, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

Alright John,

been gone there for a bit checking out what the expats say about Ireland - have a look at the third one down in Ireland forums "any others living long term in ireland?" , think I agreed with almost all of it.

Been looking for past few weeks to find Irish people in Oz to check out what they saying about Oz and also on this Irish subsection but I think they're all working or shy or pissed!

Anyway you seem to have your mind made up, what does avie (?) and the kids think ?

Sometimes I think its not the where or the why but the actual decision that counts - whether good or bad in the end, its the decision that counts, you can always move on or back but by Christ you took the chance.

Sometimes the hectic lifestyle and high cost of living in one end of the country is the complete opposite in another part of the country. It's getting that balance that we all crave for that's the hardest part. It's the same with Canada or even Australia - the cost of living, crime, quality of life, weather etc. differs greatly in different areas. And then you get similar people from similar backgounds either hating or loving their new surroundings depending on what hopes and dreams they bring with them. For instance some come looking for country living and then find they badly miss the city life (I'm not counting myself in this picture but having said that I do like to be fairly close to city life just not right in it!) Happiness is a real hard one to pin down but it's sure fun trying to find it! Keep on rocking...
Old May 26th 2006, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crazydaisy
Sometimes the hectic lifestyle and high cost of living in one end of the country is the complete opposite in another part of the country. It's getting that balance that we all crave for that's the hardest part. It's the same with Canada or even Australia - the cost of living, crime, quality of life, weather etc. differs greatly in different areas. And then you get similar people from similar backgounds either hating or loving their new surroundings depending on what hopes and dreams they bring with them. For instance some come looking for country living and then find they badly miss the city life (I'm not counting myself in this picture but having said that I do like to be fairly close to city life just not right in it!) Happiness is a real hard one to pin down but it's sure fun trying to find it! Keep on rocking...
Hi Crazy! What part of Ireland ya heading to??? Why Ireland for you? For us,its simple...... here chavsville,no greenery,woods,beaches etc. Ireland very rural,but still got towns/cities close to hand! After 10 years living on an estate,nr. to a run down town(Bognor),with all the attitude.We all feel a need to be some where more laid back,with more access to the country,with a bit of space from neighbours!!!!!Hope your move goes well.
Old May 26th 2006, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by john+avie
Hi Crazy! What part of Ireland ya heading to??? Why Ireland for you? For us,its simple...... here chavsville,no greenery,woods,beaches etc. Ireland very rural,but still got towns/cities close to hand! After 10 years living on an estate,nr. to a run down town(Bognor),with all the attitude.We all feel a need to be some where more laid back,with more access to the country,with a bit of space from neighbours!!!!!Hope your move goes well.
Hi there - we're moving to Galway. The move is more down to the hubby wishing to be back in Europe as in his trade he is very well known in Europe but is an unknown in Canada and so he has had to change career here but wishes to get back into his old line of work (film, TV and music audio). We plan to use Ireland as a base for Europe as flights are so cheap and with having 3 airports less than an hours drive away plus a 2 hr train ride to Dublin if need be it fits the bill. Hubby also has family out there too. Returning back to England for us didn't seem all that appealing although unfortunately Ireland is going that way with the overcrowding. My son has just been turned down from our chosen large vocational school as they are overfull and not accepting anymore students as the area is expanding very rapidly. Hopefully that will mean new schools being built too. We land in the UK end of June and get to Ireland 1st July - gosh, not long now!!
Old May 27th 2006, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crazydaisy
Hi there - we're moving to Galway. The move is more down to the hubby wishing to be back in Europe as in his trade he is very well known in Europe but is an unknown in Canada and so he has had to change career here but wishes to get back into his old line of work (film, TV and music audio). We plan to use Ireland as a base for Europe as flights are so cheap and with having 3 airports less than an hours drive away plus a 2 hr train ride to Dublin if need be it fits the bill. Hubby also has family out there too. Returning back to England for us didn't seem all that appealing although unfortunately Ireland is going that way with the overcrowding. My son has just been turned down from our chosen large vocational school as they are overfull and not accepting anymore students as the area is expanding very rapidly. Hopefully that will mean new schools being built too. We land in the UK end of June and get to Ireland 1st July - gosh, not long now!!
Good luck,hope it goes well!!! We`re planning to go over for a holiday to check out poss. work + house rentals in latter part of june/july.prior to moving in august.All the best,keep us posted,John+Avie