Does anyone know where ex pat england fans
living in Dublin can go to suffer the excruciating
emotions of being an england fan in the company
of others?
Old Jun 20th 2006, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Andygosh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: England at the World Cup!!

Well suffer was definately the word for it tonight, in the company of two swedes , one englishman and thankfully a crowd of fencesitters (not Scots)!
I guess you could say it was a game of two halves after all!
At least we don,t to face Germany/ Argentina again!!!

Thanks for listening
Andygosh
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

andyofboltonia is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: England at the World Cup!!

Originally Posted by Andygosh
of others?
Andy

I used to work in Dublin for 3 years and found that the pubs ( if you can call them that, more like wine bars ) around the IFSC contain a number fo English becuase a few of them also live and work there - you might try Harbourmaster/Vaults/Lagoon Bar
Old Jun 24th 2006, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Andy,

Thanks for the tip.
I’ll definitely head down to the IFSC for the craic tomorrow afternoon.

Good luck for the game and may the gods of football smile on the peckless ones! I'm off to Germany on Friday for the quarterfinals, semis and final (first time). I was always scared off by the thought of getting baton charged or arrested, but from reports it sounds as though times have changed and that England fans are having a great time just hanging out watching the games on big screens with the locals, as I plan to do.

In Ireland I always get funny looks if I wear my England shirt on the street and most locals say (in public at least) that they want to see England get beaten, even though they are avid die hard fans of the same players, when playing for their clubs.

Although I understand the historical context of these sentiments- potato famine- thirteen shot at Croke Park during a GAA game by British irregular soldiers (Black and Tans) in 1913 etc. As an Englishman living in modern day Dublin I just don’t feel in anyway responsible for the misdeeds of this or previous British governments.

It is time for the Irish to move on and to enjoy their success, which is partly based on the country's cosy relationship with the dreaded ‘Brits’!

Ireland and Dublin is my chosen home, I accept it and it’s people as they are and I like it here, although I feel just as much an ex-pat as during my six years spent in Berlin, and I much prefer it to my hometown Manchester, the posing and the Smiths etc.. I’m sure Bolton is great and that Manchester is great too. I’ve even heard that because of climate change it doesn’t drizzle so much any more there and that the mancs aren’t so bloody miserable!

Well we’ll see, next time I’m back there, out for a pint with my mates, in Withington having a pint of Wilson’s to celebrate England’s victory over Germany in the final of the world cup 2006!

Cheers and good luck!

Andy
Old Jun 24th 2006, 11:42 pm
Banned

Bobbydog is a jewel in the roughBobbydog is a jewel in the roughBobbydog is a jewel in the roughBobbydog is a jewel in the roughBobbydog is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: England at the World Cup!!

of others?
Hi Ya Andy,
I am a Scot living in Spain for the past 7 years, why don't you go up Everest, The Sahara, or the North Pole because no matter where you go you will hear it
England have been knocked out of the World Cup not Svens fault but your team is CRAP sorry to burst the Baloon, He, HEE, Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old Jun 27th 2006, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

andyofboltonia is an unknown quantity at this point

Bobbydog sounds a bit of a turkey. Anyway - how did IFSC go - probably crap eh? Thought about it later and thought Temple bar has to be better. In light of the lack of support here in NI - yes they are worse than the Jocks - I know I lived there for 7 years as well - we are planning on getting the train to Dublin for a few scoops on Sat. NI England Supporters Club membership 2 and rising.... Try TB Sat afternoon if you 've not sampled it already. You might see me - i'll be in the gutter come 8pm
Old Jun 27th 2006, 3:21 pm
Banned

Bobbydog is a jewel in the roughBobbydog is a jewel in the roughBobbydog is a jewel in the roughBobbydog is a jewel in the roughBobbydog is a jewel in the rough
Cool Re: England at the World Cup!!

Originally Posted by andyofboltonia
Bobbydog sounds a bit of a turkey. Anyway - how did IFSC go - probably crap eh? Thought about it later and thought Temple bar has to be better. In light of the lack of support here in NI - yes they are worse than the Jocks - I know I lived there for 7 years as well - we are planning on getting the train to Dublin for a few scoops on Sat. NI England Supporters Club membership 2 and rising.... Try TB Sat afternoon if you 've not sampled it already. You might see me - i'll be in the gutter come 8pm

Hi Andy,
You have picked the best place to go to, the home of Pure Genius, where else can you get that great atmosphere where everybody is all looking for the same thing, enjoying themselves.
I take it that 2 is your total in the N.I. Supporters Club but what the hell better to start small and work up the way.
I will watch the Dublin Street Web Cam about 8pm and if i see anybody in the gutter i will know who it is.
Have a great time
Ron
Old Jun 27th 2006, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by andyofboltonia
Andy,

I didn't make it to town in the end. Got stuck out in Dalkey (southside)- Good Atmosphere crap game. Soz to here about your lowly membership up there. Sounds a good idea to come down here on Sat. I think that Fitzsimmons in Temple Bar might be a good place to be for the game. At least Shouting Ingerland there, shouldn,t make the bar go suddenly silent! There should be good mix in there and as they say the craic should be mighty.
It's either Gelsenkirchen or Berlin for me on Saturday. I hope the boys do the buisness this time with a bit of style and we all get to suffer all the way to the semis!

Cheers

Andy
Old Jun 27th 2006, 10:23 pm
Banned

Andy,

I didn't make it to town in the end. Got stuck out in Dalkey (southside)- Good Atmosphere crap game. Soz to here about your lowly membership up there. Sounds a good idea to come down here on Sat. I think that Fitzsimmons in Temple Bar might be a good place to be for the game. At least Shouting Ingerland there, shouldn,t make the bar go suddenly silent! There should be good mix in there and as they say the craic should be mighty.
It's either Gelsenkirchen or Berlin for me on Saturday. I hope the boys do the buisness this time with a bit of style and we all get to suffer all the way to the semis!

Cheers

Andy
Hi Andy,
Have you been taking the magic mushrooms what do you expect from the next game you have a team that are on the way out.
Crouch up front, Gerard, Cole, Beckam came of early, lets face it Beckam is not a great player but he can cross a ball, he can score from the set peices.
What are you going to do up front, maybe Pray, nice young lad on the bench fast, good why will Sven not play him, he has nothing ti loose.
Andy i am a Scot BUT i hope they get through to the next round i can't see it but miracles can happen.
Either Way.
Have a great time
Ron
Old Jun 28th 2006, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

lulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to all
Wink Re: England at the World Cup!!

Originally Posted by Bobbydog
Hi Andy,
Have you been taking the magic mushrooms what do you expect from the next game you have a team that are on the way out.
Crouch up front, Gerard, Cole, Beckam came of early, lets face it Beckam is not a great player but he can cross a ball, he can score from the set peices.
What are you going to do up front, maybe Pray, nice young lad on the bench fast, good why will Sven not play him, he has nothing ti loose.
Andy i am a Scot BUT i hope they get through to the next round i can't see it but miracles can happen.
Either Way.
Have a great time
Ron
Well if they do man, I hope you eat your words JOCK
Old Jun 28th 2006, 1:09 pm
Banned

Cool Re: England at the World Cup!!

Originally Posted by lulu41
Well if they do man, I hope you eat your words JOCK
No red blooded Scotsman would ever support an English team, but if they do manage to get through, well i would be the first to say Good Luck to them.

I was reading through your threads about your husband being a Landscaper i figure you have landed in the wrong part of the Country.

My gardener in Catalunia gets 12€ per hour and comes twice a week as most of the Gardeners here do, but wages up here are bigger than they are in the South.

Sorry if this life did not work out for you.

All the best to you.
Ron
Old Jun 28th 2006, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

lulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: England at the World Cup!!

No red blooded Scotsman would ever support an English team, but if they do manage to get through, well i would be the first to say Good Luck to them.

I was reading through your threads about your husband being a Landscaper i figure you have landed in the wrong part of the Country.

My gardener in Catalunia gets 12€ per hour and comes twice a week as most of the Gardeners here do, but wages up here are bigger than they are in the South.

Sorry if this life did not work out for you.

All the best to you.
Ron
Hi Ron

Yes, well its so ruddy hot here, well over 100 degrees, too hot to work outside really half of the year, the money side wasnt always the issue, but now you mention it, my hubby use to get about 200 a day in UK a good grand a week or more, depends on what type of job, hes mainly into construction, ie, brick driveways etc patios, walls, not your average gardener lawns etc, not his thing, but there again I have to say as we went to Barcelona for a visit, very nice place, as for England, they usually dont go beyond the semi final, how come your on this site then, Ireland related, we want to relocate there, houses are cheaper there than back in UK, where we came from they were extortionate.. just need to sale up here, I put ours for sale on this site too, well cant hurt can it.
all the best
Lulu
Old Jun 28th 2006, 5:13 pm
Banned

Red face Re: England at the World Cup!!

Hi Lulu,
I am sorry to hear that you have hit problems on the work front, did your Hubby think of speaking to the main Construction Company about tendering for the landscaping of any building site that the company was building, the spanish don't normally do it that way they usually say that they will do maybe 10 Plots, then someone else will do the same but if you were tendering for the whole site and the Company likes your price then you are well in because they would use you all the time, any building site go in and ask most Builders speak a bit of English and they all understand €s.
I hate to hear of anyone Brits or anybody looking to live the Dream and then hitting problems having to sell up and go home.
I have been out in Spain for over 7 years my wife died 3 years ago yesterday and i had to think about what i wanted to do.
I decided to stay as all my friends Brits and Catalans are here, but my job is a Freelance Photo/Journalist ( Paparazzi ) not liked very much but a job is a job and i like it when you get the right picture.
If you want another Forum to join it is very Tongue in Cheek relaxed it is run by Pete from Heuscar Granada but it is relaxed and you need thick skin but it is a good laugh.
www.Bulldogbytes.net
Good Luck with whatever you do.
All the Best
Ron.

PS, ENGLAND FOR THE CUP
Old Jun 28th 2006, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Ron,

Thanks for the support. We all know that the're playing crap, but hope that they can at least lift their game enough to beat an under strength Portugal, then who knows. Even Wallcott might get a runout!
Off to Gelsenkirchen on Saturday, will keep you posted.

Andy

Hi Andy,
Either Way.
Have a great time
Ron
Old Jun 28th 2006, 6:44 pm
Banned

Cheers Ron,

Thanks for the support. We all know that the're playing crap, but hope that they can at least lift their game enough to beat an under strength Portugal, then who knows. Even Wallcott might get a runout!
Off to Gelsenkirchen on Saturday, will keep you posted.

Andy
Have a gooooooooooooooooood time try not to get to Pissssssssssssed.
Cheers
Ron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.