Reload this Page >

England to Rep of Ireland-dogs, cars, costs

England to Rep of Ireland-dogs, cars, costs

Old Oct 27th 2013, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Meg990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: England to Rep of Ireland-dogs, cars, costs

Originally Posted by chaoclive
Just a note (from a N. Ireland resident).

There are absolutely NO manned borders between these two countries (remember there is a common travel area between the UK and ROI). You can drive anywhere you like on the whole Island and no-one bats an eyelid (unless you're speeding/driving without insurance etc). There are issues with 'importing' a car, even from Northern Ireland the the ROI, so you should check these out (if you buy a car in ROI and only drive to NI for work it makes no difference whatsoever). Also, you may need both a Euro (for everyday spending in ROI) and a Pound Sterling account (for your salary and business expenses to be paid into/from), but you can always withdraw your money in Euros at an ATM in ROI.

Please note: if you are doing this in order to apply for immigration for a non-EEA partner (under Surinder Singh route to the UK), it probably wouldn't work as you're still working in part of the UK. Not sure if this is anything to do with your reasons for moving over, if not, just ignore this part.

Just a note on why N. Ireland residents don't move to Ireland to buy houses: 1) there isn't a NHS in Ireland per se (the UK is better for health) and 2) other costs (e.g. cars/insurance/groceries) are higher in the ROI.

These are only my opinions (as someone who has lived in NI for 27 years).
Thank Taragreen, some really interesting info there i was just thinkng a chest freezer would be an essential, great for stocking up on any cheap stuff.
I hadn;t considered the not having a credit history, thats good to know, to be prepared for.

Cheers chaoclive, also some interesting stuff to think over there.
As for Surinder Singh, thats not why i'm wanting to move over, i was a thread entitled Surinder Singh and thought it was about a person, me and my sheltered life
Old Oct 28th 2013, 7:01 pm
To the point.

goosegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding the pet passports - as well as the rabies shot for dogs they have to be wormed for tapeworm. If things are not in order animals can be kept in quarantine at the port. Why the rabies shot, I don't know!!

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/

We were going to be bringing over our old gal plus 4 cats and a flock of chickens (been re homed now as the vet check fee's were astronomical). Were just bringing over over the cats now.

We may have another GSD though to bring with us or adopt one when we get over.

As to the cost of houses in NI, when I last checked, anything rural with a acre was a hell of a lot more expensive than the republic.

With healthcare in the republic- I wont be having private medical, its far too expensive & they wouldn't accept me anyway! We'll be going for the public health care.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/...bout/#services

https://www.sspcrs.ie/portal/medapponline/

With the food costs when I was over recently, I found Aldi & lidl to be the best for stuff, Tesco's are daylight robbery. Keep an eye on some other online Irish boards that list bargains in your local area. Supervalu I think it's called are not bad.

As sickntired said, if you like your curries-get a stock of spices and cook your own because the curry houses are few and far between and expensive. I do cook my own curries over here (well I live near the balti triangle!!) so i'll be cooking them en bulk and freezing them. Spices are easily bought off Ebay & posted. A good authentic curry book is anything by Pat Chapman.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

amandalula is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved to ROI in July without a pet passport-I didn't think you needed one for here!! Bit worried now after reading these post as we will be visiting the UK at Christmas...Does anyone have any more info on this?
Thanks
Old Nov 14th 2013, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

A belated thanks Goosegirl, any idea of the costs of getting a pet passport? i've read varying amounts online from £100 to £300 plus, maybe it depends on the vet.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 6:59 pm
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meg990
A belated thanks Goosegirl, any idea of the costs of getting a pet passport? i've read varying amounts online from £100 to £300 plus, maybe it depends on the vet.
http://www.dspca.ie/index.jsp?p=158&n=160&a=146

According to this you don't need a pet passport between UK and Ireland.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

taragreen is an unknown quantity at this point

passport not required, we brought our two jrt's across on the ferry, no questions asked. you can book them a kennel on the ferry, but we left ours in car with sunroof and windows ajar, as they were more familliar with the car. My mum's dog has been back and forth from the uk nearly ten times now with no questions.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Croagh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Meg. I risk repeating some points in this very long thread. Sorry.
We moved to ireland in August 2013, from England.

You have two dogs:
We have a cat and spent £300 in vets bills to get a passport and then I paid £250 in ferry fees for my car to bring it over. £650 for a cat! On the way over, I met a chap with a large dog. I asked him politely about his Pet Passport. He didn't have one and was never asked for one. It seems he takes his dog back and forth on the ferry to Ireland quite often he said! I'm alittle unhappy but getting over it. At no point did anyone query the cat in the box next to me in my car. No one wanted the passport I'd spent £300 for. I may as well have been carrying a bomb or parcel of drugs. They would have waved me through! A friend laughed at this story and said he could have arranged for the cat to meet an accident for the cost of a pint.

My car:
Your car will need Irish plates eventually and road tax and insurance. I made the mistake of thinking I needed to pay VRT, which I don't as the car was already 'mine' for more than 6 months. Don't buy a new car before you ove to ierland or you will be stung for about £2000 in VRT. I'll see if I can root out the number I rang if you're interested?
Old Nov 16th 2013, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Always interested in getting extra info Croagh...stick the number up there if you have it!

Cheers
Old Nov 16th 2013, 6:21 pm
Account Closed

Always interested in getting extra info Croagh...stick the number up there if you have it!

Cheers
Number of what? The NCT Centre?
Old Nov 17th 2013, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Croagh is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers
These numbers are for the office in Athlone that deals with car tax enquiries. They are very helpful ...

0906 421 901
0906 421 902
Old Dec 12th 2013, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

There seems to be very mixed messages re dog passports, will have to speak to my vet.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Meg990
There seems to be very mixed messages re dog passports, will have to speak to my vet.
http://www.dspca.ie/index.jsp?p=158&n=160&a=146

It's here in black and white from the DSPCA.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Kevrev is an unknown quantity at this point

Iv taken dogs over on the ferry twice and had no problems. First time it was a puppy who needed more attention/ feeding them she would of got at home, second time it was a bitch in season and I didn't want any accidents while I was away. Both times the dogs were in a cage with a blanket over them so the customs people didn't see them just in case. If they had gotton nosey they would of seen them. As far as I know this new bit of BS has come in since my last visit. Somebody told me to come in via Belfast and then drive into the south as the boarders are just open roads and you can just drive through.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 8:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kevrev
Iv taken dogs over on the ferry twice and had no problems. First time it was a puppy who needed more attention/ feeding them she would of got at home, second time it was a bitch in season and I didn't want any accidents while I was away. Both times the dogs were in a cage with a blanket over them so the customs people didn't see them just in case. If they had gotton nosey they would of seen them. As far as I know this new bit of BS has come in since my last visit. Somebody told me to come in via Belfast and then drive into the south as the boarders are just open roads and you can just drive through.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...o_ireland.html

Now seems you do need a pet passport.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 3:10 am
To the point.

goosegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry meg, I didn't get any notifications. I've just paid nearly £400 to have my 4 cats passports done and have their rabies vacs. I asked my vet & she checked. They do need a passport for ireland. So what with their boosters, passports, rabies, I've shelled out almost £1000 to get them across the water.