A different angle

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Kevrev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A different angle

Well iv not had a lot of luck with my house hunting. I AM still looking but I have had another idea.
Buy a plot of land and put a mobile home on it. Maybe a prefab type building. What are the pitfalls? I see some land is "zoned residential" or "zoned agricultural" etc.
Does the land HAVE to have planning permission granted for a mobile home?
Or a prefab?
Can I just buy any plot of land and stick a mobile home/ prefab on it and get on with my life or will I end up with a visit from the gardia?

What are your thoughts/ experiences?
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 9:49 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A different angle

Kev - I'll be blunt so please bear with the me ... the grey matter in me has its problems at times

A plot of land will still likely cost you one arm & one leg (say 5k-10k), then there's the issue of going through & getting permits/planning, then you need services to the plot such as electrical, water & sewer & even if you were to put in a well or septic that is just more money. On top of that a used static caravan which cost more money (that's the other arm, leg & the rest of your body).

Its all doable - others may know the cheap way around this - but as you've mentioned you only have 25k to play with. You could I suppose take your sweet time over a few years stay in the UK & continue to work while going the plot of land, putting services in it etc - once done & finalized move to Ireland.

OR-

You could move over now, find the cheapest rental in the country (maybe even a two bedroom & rent the second bedroom (room share) at 75% of the total rent that you are paying) , as long as you are not too fussy, try to find a minimum paying job such as stocking shelves at tesco, working at a petrol station all hours like those immigrants from East Asia or the Eastern Europeans do ... build the habitual residency, get some record of employment stamps & go from there.

A few options - little choices

Good luck & best wishes with whatever you'll do

Last edited by not2old; Sep 3rd 2013 at 9:51 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Thankyou not2old. I haven't managed to find any land that cheap tbh but iv found a few bits at 15k. Mobile homes I have found for as little as 2k.
1) What do I need to do re getting planning?
2) Is it even needed for a mobile home?
3) How much do septic tanks cost?
4) How much would a well cost?
5) What are the options re electricity etc?
Old Sep 4th 2013, 9:41 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kevrev
Thankyou not2old. I haven't managed to find any land that cheap tbh but iv found a few bits at 15k. Mobile homes I have found for as little as 2k.
There is the additional cost of getting it there, a real mobile home can't be towed by a car, so transport would be an extra cost, and it's not cheap. Main costs for both well and septic tanks would be the labour as each would need digging equipment to make the hole. Electricity, you either have a generator, wind or solar power if you cant afford to get a mains hook up, BUT, those would most likely cost more than you have in total. you would need a building to house the generator and/or batteries to store the power., which would mean planning permission.
Any mobile home that would only cost 2k would be cheap and nasty, and would need a lot of work to keep it waterproof and warm. If you are talking about a caravan rather than a mobile home, the it's different, a mobile home needs a concrete pad, and brick sidings under, a caravan can be put on any sort of level surface and only needs a gas supply, however it needs electricity for the lights, and that means batteries, and they will need recharging.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

johnthebridge is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kevrev
1) Contact the CC for the county you're looking at.
2) They're pretty relaxed about it generally.
3) Normal one can be put in for around 2/2500 euros, but there are increasingly stringent regs being discussed that will inevitably mean greater costs.
4) Around 6/7000 euros, dependent on depth and terrain.
5) Ordinary mains, if available, will be through ESB, impossible to give prices as it depends how far your site is from a supply. It ain't cheap. Options would be all the usual suspects.
What and where are you looking? Do you want a rural place, if so, where? What methods are you using to find a place? A good one is daft/ie (yes, really).
Give me an idea of what your requirements are-I might be able to point you in the right direction.

Last edited by johnthebridge; Sep 4th 2013 at 3:18 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:17 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Kev, that's a good suggestion from Johnthebridge as well as his kind offer to help.

I was looking on property.ie for the worst ramshackle place fixer upper that was on a serviced lot. This way you'd think 'hey why not buy a serviced lot with a crap building & plonk a static caravan on it'. If its doable, maybe as another idea this will get you close to what you're looking for

Something along the lines of the links below - maybe in the 15k - 18k range

http://www.property.ie/property-for-...common/729161/

http://www.property.ie/property-for-...o-Mayo/644906/

http://www.property.ie/

Last edited by not2old; Sep 4th 2013 at 2:26 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

taragreen is an unknown quantity at this point

Mind your neighbours though. When we moved in, a couple of fields up from us was a traveller, with a mobile home on a plot of land owned by his father before him. In February this year, the 'council' forced him to take out or tear apart the mobile home and his 12 dogs after complaints from locals - not us, I have to say, he was a nice bloke and when we first moved in he gave us all manner of contacts and help regarding fuel, septic tank emptying, septic tank building using old chest freezers, a puppy to be our Outdoor Dog, which butcher to go to, the site of the spring for good Tae water, and we entertained him with scones and stories of Lahndahn Tahn many an evening - In fact, I felt safer knowing he was shout away. seems that the german couple down a field or so the other way, whose celtic tiger mansion has been up for sale for 3 years (450k, 350k, 200k, now 185k) felt he was the reason their property was not selling, and took their point to the local council. Just beware that many will have thought they could do this, and found out this isn't possible, so won't be letting anyone else get away with it. Plus if you have 'normal' residential neighbours, they may be of the opinion that they don't want to live near to or look onto such mobile delights... At best, you won't make many friends, worst, it will cost you heaps having to remove your set up and then where do you go?
Old Sep 5th 2013, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

taragreen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by not2old
Kev, that's a good suggestion from Johnthebridge as well as his kind offer to help.

I was looking on property.ie for the worst ramshackle place fixer upper that was on a serviced lot. This way you'd think 'hey why not buy a serviced lot with a crap building & plonk a static caravan on it'. If its doable, maybe as another idea this will get you close to what you're looking for

Something along the lines of the links below - maybe in the 15k - 18k range

http://www.property.ie/property-for-...common/729161/

http://www.property.ie/property-for-...o-Mayo/644906/

http://www.property.ie/
Definately a better idea - of course, you're just in the mobey while you do the doer-upper, here's a goodun near me

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/bro...merick/2276624
Old Sep 5th 2013, 10:45 am
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by taragreen
Mind your neighbours though. When we moved in, a couple of fields up from us was a traveller, with a mobile home on a plot of land owned by his father before him. In February this year, the 'council' forced him to take out or tear apart the mobile home and his 12 dogs after complaints from locals - not us, I have to say, he was a nice bloke and when we first moved in he gave us all manner of contacts and help regarding fuel, septic tank emptying, septic tank building using old chest freezers, a puppy to be our Outdoor Dog, which butcher to go to, the site of the spring for good Tae water, and we entertained him with scones and stories of Lahndahn Tahn many an evening - In fact, I felt safer knowing he was shout away. seems that the german couple down a field or so the other way, whose celtic tiger mansion has been up for sale for 3 years (450k, 350k, 200k, now 185k) felt he was the reason their property was not selling, and took their point to the local council. Just beware that many will have thought they could do this, and found out this isn't possible, so won't be letting anyone else get away with it. Plus if you have 'normal' residential neighbours, they may be of the opinion that they don't want to live near to or look onto such mobile delights... At best, you won't make many friends, worst, it will cost you heaps having to remove your set up and then where do you go?
"septic tank building using old chest freezers". Yep that sounds like a pikey trick.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 10:06 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Kev, hows it going on this - have you made any headway or insights to getting closer to what you want in terms of serviced land or a cheapy house in fair nick condition property that you can live in within your budget?
Old Sep 7th 2013, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Not2old, what I want is a place to live in the west. Iv been on a bit of a roller coaster re exactly what though. First someone was trying to talk me into getting land and putting a prefab on it. Then I discovered that they work for somebody who makes prefabs! Lol! And then I decided a house would be the way forward so iv been looking for houses and the only one iv found so far that I liked enough to put in an offer turned out to be seriously damp. So I pulled out of that last week. THEN I decided that maybe land and a temporary structure isn’t such a bad idea. I need land, I love the countryside and I don’t like neighbours :P I have 7 dogs (all sighthounds who love running and need space) and I want to grow my own veg, keep chickens etc. Im not to bothered about having a mansion, a mobile home would (almost) do. And then as I get work and start saving I can replace it with a self build. I would prefer it to be bigger than a mobile home and I certainly want better security than what a mobile home offers. But I am on a budget so I cant have everything. So, in a nutshell, a cheap house in the west with land. I don’t mind (in fact I expect) to be having to do it up. That’s ok, as long as its livable. I think the land and mobile home idea isn't feasible due to the security (and comfort) angle.
What iv been doing so far is looking and finding places on the internet and then when I have enough on my list, coming over and seeing them.

Regards, Kev