Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Could someone please clarify?

Could someone please clarify?

Old Sep 18th 2015, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Jannette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Could someone please clarify?

My husband and I are moving permanently to Co. Mayo early next year. We are British, retired and both in receipt of the UK State Pension. We also have European Health Insurance cards.

Do we qualify for free health care in the ROI?
Old Sep 18th 2015, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could someone please clarify?

Originally Posted by Jannette
My husband and I are moving permanently to Co. Mayo early next year. We are British, retired and both in receipt of the UK State Pension. We also have European Health Insurance cards.

Do we qualify for free health care in the ROI?
You might want to check this:
Entitlement to health services

The EU Health Card can only be used for temporary stay:

Apply for the European Health Insurance Card if you:

Plan to go on holiday to another EU / EEA country or Switzerland
Regularly visit any of these countries, for example, on business, as a transport worker or for leisure
Plan to go to any of these countries to seek work
Are being sent by your employer to work in any of these countries temporarily but will continue to pay tax in Ireland
Intend to undertake a course of study in any of these countries but still consider yourself as ordinarily resident in Ireland
Intend to visit any of these countries for any other type of temporary stay where healthcare in itself is not the aim of the visit
Travelling to Great Britain or Northern Ireland
You don’t need a European Health Insurance Card to get necessary healthcare while on a temporary visit to the UK. It is enough to show proof that you are ordinarily resident in Ireland – in practice, this means a driving licence, passport or similar document.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Jannette is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the link. I read it and found another link to HSE.ie - Ireland's Health Services and it says:

EU pensioners resident in Ireland and who are in receipt of a qualifying pension as evidenced by form E121 are entitled to a Medical Card provided they are not subject to Irish social security legislation (see footnote, under 5.1).
Pensioners from the UK must provide proof that they are in receipt of a UK social security pension. (The UK social security pension is the only qualifying UK pension for entitlement under EU legislation).

So I think it is OK.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

EU – Health insurance when living, working abroad - Your Europe
Old Sep 19th 2015, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

mrhappygolucky will become famous soon enoughmrhappygolucky will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jannette
Thanks for the link. I read it and found another link to HSE.ie - Ireland's Health Services and it says:

EU pensioners resident in Ireland and who are in receipt of a qualifying pension as evidenced by form E121 are entitled to a Medical Card provided they are not subject to Irish social security legislation (see footnote, under 5.1).
Pensioners from the UK must provide proof that they are in receipt of a UK social security pension. (The UK social security pension is the only qualifying UK pension for entitlement under EU legislation).

So I think it is OK.
Don't worry it is ok, I have several friends who are retired and all without exception have got full medical cards.