Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Car prices compared to the UK

Car prices compared to the UK

Old Jul 31st 2015, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car prices compared to the UK

I'm planning on moving back from the US to either England or Ireland. Right now the dollar against the pound sucks and I will get a much better exchange rate with the euro. Wherever I decide to settle, I'm going to need to buy a car, so am wondering if I'd be better off buying a car in Ireland. Is this a good idea do you think? What would be the pitfalls?

Many Thanks
Old Aug 17th 2015, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

London Irish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car prices compared to the UK

Originally Posted by beachgal21
I'm planning on moving back from the US to either England or Ireland. Right now the dollar against the pound sucks and I will get a much better exchange rate with the euro. Wherever I decide to settle, I'm going to need to buy a car, so am wondering if I'd be better off buying a car in Ireland. Is this a good idea do you think? What would be the pitfalls?

Many Thanks
One buys a car in the country one lives in. Its a moot point.
Is this a good idea? Yes, it is.
What would be the pitfalls? Buying a car registered in another country and then paying the import duty on said car, to register it on one's current countries numberplates.
http://cars.donedeal.ie/find/cars/for-sale/Ireland/
Try to buy a car with a long NCT test, and some car tax.
Consider the above to be pitfalls (in their absence).
Prior to purchasing a car in Ireland, you may like to peruse the car tax rates here, which are significantly higher than in the UK.
https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/menu.do?page=motortaxrates
You will also find car insurance to be higher than in the UK.
123.ie For Your Insurance Needs in Ireland
Another thing, one doesn't tax ones car in the post office here; that would be too sensible for Ireland.
One has to tax ones car in the motor tax office, at the local council offices. Bring a newspaper for the queue.
Car prices are cheaper in the UK than in Ireland, but the import duty (VRT) negates any saving so its not worth importing.
Happy motoring.

Last edited by London Irish; Aug 17th 2015 at 7:02 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car prices compared to the UK

Thank you London Irish