Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Buy a car in the UK or in Ireland??

Buy a car in the UK or in Ireland??

Old Aug 8th 2010, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

wardy171 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buy a car in the UK or in Ireland??

Hi guys,

I know there are a few car threads already but most seem to deal with importing a car that you already own into Ireland and not buying a new car.

Basically I've just been offered a job starting in Shannon on 23rd August and have decided to move over for it, most likely to live in Limerick. I've also decided that what I really want now as well is a car.

The decision I have to make now is what would be easier / cheaper to do... either:

a) buy a car over here in the UK and take it with me

Or

b) fly over and then look at getting a car over there.

I've only recently passed my test and am still 21 so I'm already looking at sky high insurance costs, so any corners I can cut price-wise would be very handy to know as I really have no idea how the system works over there re insurance / tax / import tax, etc

So any imparting of your wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I'm effectively looking for a relatively cheap, small, second hand car which I can explore the country with.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Andy
Old Oct 9th 2010, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

wilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nice
Default Re: Buy a car in the UK or in Ireland??

Most buy cars in the UK and ship or drive them to Ireland, there cheaper, and better, as the roads are much better in the UK.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 12:11 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilki
Most buy cars in the UK and ship or drive them to Ireland, there cheaper, and better, as the roads are much better in the UK.
...and then you get walloped with VRT tax. DOnt know about the better roads. The new motorways are excellent.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

manni72 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no easy answer to this. The issues you need to consider are:

You cannot get an Irish insurance company to insure your car for more than 30 days on English plates. They will require you to transfer the plates to Irish plates within the 30 days. (If you do find an company - let me know please! No Nonsense.ie may allow English plates - I have yet to phone them)

When registering your car for Irish plates if you haven't owned the car in the UK for 6 months or more, you will have to pay VRT when you register the car in Ireland. This is a % of the open market value of the car (decided by the Irish authorities, not the price you paid for the car! The values can be found online at revenue.ie)

I don't think English insurance companies will only insure your car while living in Ireland?

If you take a UK registered car insured by typical UK insurer you will be insured for 60 days as part of holiday insurance, you may be able to negotiate this for longer. BUT you will need to register the car as temporary residence in Ireland (can call local County Council Mortor dept to request a form to do this)

I think it is easier to just buy an Irish car! Irish cars are more expensive because of the weak pound against the euro but simpler process.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

dryroasted is an unknown quantity at this point

The second hand car market in Ireland is great...especially if you buy repo's. I think it's now too much hassle buying a car in the UK and dragging it back because cars in Ireland are cheaper if you are prepared to haggle and drive a hard bargain, I bought a ten year old CLK 430 fully loaded for 3k..that's just an idea of what you can get if you are prepared to look for it.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

doirebui is an unknown quantity at this point

Generally buying new cars in the UK is cheaper which is why a lot of Irish people in the Republic buy in the Britain (or up North) and import them to the Republic. However, your car has to be in your own name for 6 months or more to avoid paying VRT when you import it to Ireland. Vehicle Registration Tax is a percentage of the cars value and can work out quite expensive. So if you're only looking for a second hand run-around you can probably get a good deal in Ireland when you come over.

If you do decide to buy a little run-around in Ireland then it'll already be on Irish plates and all you'll need to do is tax and insure it.

If you do bring a car over from the UK you will need to go to a local Revenue office with your UK Log Book, proof of insurance in Ireland, MOT (if applicable), proof of residence in Ireland and possibly proof of your job in Ireland. You'll fill in a few forms, pay the VRT, and they'll assign you an Irish Registration Number for your car.

So simply, if you're only wanting a small second hand car I would say come over to Ireland and buy it here. It'll probably work out cheaper for you.