Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Brexit and troubles yada yada

Brexit and troubles yada yada

Old Mar 15th 2019, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Kevrev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brexit and troubles yada yada

I read a few threads on here and around the net and I cant seem to find anything conclusive. Are we expecting a return of the troubles and general anti English sentiments post Brexit? I lived in Roscommon for two years before moving to the USA but I am coming home. I have no interest in going back to the UK, and want to go back to Ireland. However I don't particularly want to find myself in the middle of a war zone with no way out. Am i worried about nothing? Or is it wise to wait until the dust settles before making a decision?
Old Mar 15th 2019, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit and troubles yada yada

Originally Posted by Kevrev
I read a few threads on here and around the net and I cant seem to find anything conclusive. Are we expecting a return of the troubles and general anti English sentiments post Brexit? I lived in Roscommon for two years before moving to the USA but I am coming home. I have no interest in going back to the UK, and want to go back to Ireland. However I don't particularly want to find myself in the middle of a war zone with no way out. Am i worried about nothing? Or is it wise to wait until the dust settles before making a decision?
This topic has come up before but let's face it that in any major US city you'll find some parts that are like a war zone with shootings and stabbings, but you still went there. It's the same in any larger city, be it Paris, Berlin London or even Dublin. Thanks to social media everybody talks about doom and gloom and I have no doubt that you will have some people influenced by this. You only have to look at the Orange Order marches every year in Belfast and some idiots just use the day to burn cars and throw petrol bombs. If you look at the pictures it's mainly young boys with jogging pants who have nothing better to do. Unfortunately it's the same everywhere and people use events to be violent, be it football matches or a G20 summit. Roscommon has nothing to do with Brexit and I doubt most people even know where it is:-), so I wouldn't worry too much. It's not a bad place and you can still easily escape the madness if you drive to Achill.
Old Mar 16th 2019, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Kevrev is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
This topic has come up before but let's face it that in any major US city you'll find some parts that are like a war zone with shootings and stabbings, but you still went there. It's the same in any larger city, be it Paris, Berlin London or even Dublin. Thanks to social media everybody talks about doom and gloom and I have no doubt that you will have some people influenced by this. You only have to look at the Orange Order marches every year in Belfast and some idiots just use the day to burn cars and throw petrol bombs. If you look at the pictures it's mainly young boys with jogging pants who have nothing better to do. Unfortunately it's the same everywhere and people use events to be violent, be it football matches or a G20 summit. Roscommon has nothing to do with Brexit and I doubt most people even know where it is:-), so I wouldn't worry too much. It's not a bad place and you can still easily escape the madness if you drive to Achill.

All very good points :P
Old Mar 18th 2019, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

sidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Both the U.K. and Ireland are absolutely fine. They are no different than anywhere else in the world and are still one of the safest places to live. Rgds Sid.