Reload this Page >

Best places to visit in Ireland

Best places to visit in Ireland

Old Jun 16th 2011, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Lory1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best places to visit in Ireland

Hi

myself and my husband will be visiting Ireland next month for a week. We will be staying most of the time in Donegal. I know it's not long but i want to see as much as i can in the short time we will be there. I am a keen photographer and love taking pictures of stunning landscapes and wildlife. Can anyone recommend some locations for us to visit? It can be any part of Ireland. We already intend visiting the Giants causeway.

Thanks for any advice

Lory
Old Jun 17th 2011, 7:18 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best places to visit in Ireland

Originally Posted by Lory1
Hi

myself and my husband will be visiting Ireland next month for a week. We will be staying most of the time in Donegal. I know it's not long but i want to see as much as i can in the short time we will be there. I am a keen photographer and love taking pictures of stunning landscapes and wildlife. Can anyone recommend some locations for us to visit? It can be any part of Ireland. We already intend visiting the Giants causeway.

Thanks for any advice

Lory
Hello Lory,

Make sure you go to Achill Island. We were over there a couple of weeks back and the scenery was amazing. Its just down from Donegal.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

laurielee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi lory

It is worth remembering that whilst Ireland looks small on paper (and is of course compared to USA) the road network is not as speedy. For instance Giants Causeway in the North - well worth seeing - is about 540 miles from Kerry (if you wished to tour the famously pretty ring of kerry) and will possibly take 8 hours plus of solid driving. Connemara in the west is more doable from the north. The scenery is wild and rugged rather than pretty. Of course I am sure you are planning on seeing Dublin, along the east coast which is probably 2.5 hrs from Belfast I think. Kinsale and Cork are beyond kerry. (Cobh is a lesser known harbour town close to Cork where the titanic sailed from: formerly known as queenstown. There is a nice museum there and a train runs every 30 mins into Cork. Hotels may be cheaper there also).

If I can give any other info do let me know
Old Jul 21st 2011, 12:18 am
Just Joined

Jolly Begger is an unknown quantity at this point

If your not there already Derry City. And Sligo where William Butler Yeats lies in rest Drumcliffe Sligo where you can see the lovely Ben Bulben mountains.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

If you can swing it, go to the Dingle Peninsula, just beautiful.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:05 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laurielee
Hi lory

It is worth remembering that whilst Ireland looks small on paper (and is of course compared to USA) the road network is not as speedy. For instance Giants Causeway in the North - well worth seeing - is about 540 miles from Kerry (if you wished to tour the famously pretty ring of kerry) and will possibly take 8 hours plus of solid driving. Connemara in the west is more doable from the north. The scenery is wild and rugged rather than pretty. Of course I am sure you are planning on seeing Dublin, along the east coast which is probably 2.5 hrs from Belfast I think. Kinsale and Cork are beyond kerry. (Cobh is a lesser known harbour town close to Cork where the titanic sailed from: formerly known as queenstown. There is a nice museum there and a train runs every 30 mins into Cork. Hotels may be cheaper there also).

If I can give any other info do let me know
It might be worth pointing out however that ROI has quite an extensive motorway network now and you can travel from Cork or Limerick by motorway all the way to Newry in Northern Ireland, and fast dual-carriageway and motorway from there to Belfast. I'd agree though that many of the secondary roads are slow.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:21 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lory1
Hi

We already intend visiting the Giants causeway.

Thanks for any advice

Lory
Hi,

I've just recently been visiting friends and relatives in Ireland and Northern Ireland.
The Giant's Causeway was stunning and we were lucky enough to get a warm, sunny day too so the sea was a beautiful colour and the coastline is superb. Just five minutes around the corner (by car) is Carrick-A-Rede rope bridge. Worth a vist and the entrance fee if you don't mind crossing the rope bridge to go and wander a bit and just sit and look at the views on the other island.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 8:57 am
Just Joined

thumpers is an unknown quantity at this point

Dingle Pennisula and Ring of Kerry.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

osgood will become famous soon enoughosgood will become famous soon enough

Start your tour from the historic city of Galway with its Spanish Arch and the Church of St Nicholas in which Christopher Columbus is said to have prayed before he set out for America. Your tour of Connemara brings you by Spiddal, Costelloe, Screeb, Gortmore, Carna, Toombeola, Ballynahinch and Glendollagh. From Clifden you turn northwards to Tullycross and on to Leenane, at the head of picturesque Killary Harbour. Drive northwards through the mountains to Louisburgh, in the shadow of Croagh Patrick where Saint Patrick did penance. Stop in Westport..co.mayo...then head to newport,mulranny.co.mayo.......
Old Aug 21st 2011, 8:39 pm
Banned

nora james is an unknown quantity at this point

Galway is nice city for sure !