Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.europe
Reload this Page >

UK - Train vs. Car Follow-up

Wikiposts

UK - Train vs. Car Follow-up

Old May 28th 2002, 5:21 am
Brad Bradley

Default UK - Train vs. Car Follow-up

Gee, thanks everybody for the impute. But sorry to say that I'm still stump as to
what to do. The car rental idea seems good. And renting at Gadwick is the way to go,
but problem is jet lag and being very tired. Is that a good time to learn to drive on
the left? And with car rental I will have a place to store my stuff as I travel. But
again, as someone pointed out, how much country can I see if I'm constantly worrying
about not making a mistake? Is it possible to plan my route ahead of time to avoid
cities (large and small) where complicated traffic maneuvers would make my head
explode or, worst, stopping the car and having a nervous breakdown.

As for the train: I want to go and see the county sides, meet some locals, and yes,
even sell the cow manure. (Brings back memories of my childhood on the farm in
Tennessee), I know I can't do much of this from a train but getting to each area of
the county and walking a little sounds enticing as well.

With knowing what I'm looking for, is there a particular part of the county that
would have that "country smell" than others. Or a fairy tail feel about it?

Old May 28th 2002, 6:20 am
Scottish Quilte

Default Re: UK - Train vs. Car Follow-up

On Tue, 28 May 2002 16:43:05 GMT, Brad Bradley <[email protected]> wrote:

>Gee, thanks everybody for the impute. But sorry to say that I'm still stump as to
    >what to do. The car rental idea seems good. And renting at Gadwick is the way to go,
    >but problem is jet lag and being very tired. Is that a good time to learn to drive
    >on the left? And with car rental

Hi Brad, I would suggest you have a night's rest before driving. We ALWAYS do when
going to the USA. The time difference is important body clock-wise. A room at a Hotel
near Gatwick would be the answer, for your first night! We thought we would never
manage to drive in the USA but we found it no trouble at all. As long as you get an
automatic you will be fine! You could make the best of both worlds by renting a car
to get to each of your points and for the days you are in that area then take public
transport. Don't try to see too much at once just take it easy and you will have a
ball. BTW stay in B&Bs and Pubs and you will get to meet the locals! Elma in Glasgow,
Scotland (Remove spex to reply by email)

Old May 28th 2002, 7:24 am
Keith Anderson

>Gee, thanks everybody for the impute. But sorry to say that I'm still stump as to
    >what to do. The car rental idea seems good. And renting at Gadwick is the way to go,
    >but problem is jet lag and being very tired. Is that a good time to learn to drive
    >on the left? And with car rental I will have a place to store my stuff as I travel.
    >But again, as someone pointed out, how much country can I see if I'm constantly
    >worrying about not making a mistake?
Nothing to worry about - see below!
    > Is it possible to plan my route ahead of time to avoid cities (large and small)
    > where complicated traffic maneuvers would make my head explode or, worst, stopping
    > the car and having a nervous breakdown.

You could always book an overnight near the airport - maybe even take the train to
somewhere like - I dunno - Lewes, for example)- small town within a relatively short
rail journey from Gatwick. There are probably quiet places even nearer where you
could rest up and get over the jetlag, return to G/wick and pick up the car.

FWIW, I never learned to drive until I was in my 30's - used to work for the railway
so with free and reduced-rate travel all over Europe, I never needed to bother. Was
worried sick about learning to drive - then I did it - needn't have worried. Same
with left-hand/right-hand driving - worried sick before I hired my first car in
Spain. Within 5 minutes it was as if I'd been driving on the right all my life. It's
as simple as following the road-signs! Honestl!
    >
    >As for the train: I want to go and see the county sides, meet some locals, and yes,
    >even sell the cow manure. (Brings back memories of my childhood on the farm in
    >Tennessee), I know I can't do much of this from a train but getting to each area of
    >the county and walking a little sounds enticing as well.
    >
    >With knowing what I'm looking for, is there a particular part of the county that
    >would have that "country smell" than others. Or a fairy tail feel about it?

There are lots of scenic rural areas all over the country. If you're using a car, try
Wales. There are some lonely single-track roads through the hills and mountains (try
the network linking Llandovery, the Towy Valley, Llanwrtyd Wells and Tregaron) where
you'll hardly meet a soul - mass tourism motorists can't read maps to save their
lives. There are plenty of other single-track roads in Wales - try also the stretch
from Rhayader and the Elan Valley to Devil's Bridge near Aberystwyth and/or the road
over the Bwlch-y-Groes Pass from Lake Efyrnwy to Llanuwchllyn near Bala. (Picture at
    : http://www.madog.org/lluniau/images/dyfivali.jpg and
http://www.madog.org/lluniau/images/bwlchygr.jpg

You'll see some really unspoiled rural areas that may well amaze and astonish you -
real mountains, too. They might not be high by world standards, but when you're up
there you're in another world. Afterwards, head for North Wales and the Snowdonia
National Park - truly sublime - lovely coast as well. If you're after fairy-tale
stuff, there are loads of castles to gawp at as well (Harlech, Caernarfon, Criccieth
for starters). Pic of Caernarfon Castle at:
http://www.madog.org/lluniau/images/caernarf.jpg

Try a Google search under "Snowdonia National Park"

Get yourself a decent map - the Ordnance Survey Motoring Atlas Britain (scale 1:190
000 or 3 miles to 1 inch) will show you all these roads and you should be able to get
one at Gatwick - if not at most decent bookshops. If a road's in the atlas it's
driveable!

Keith Bristol UK

Old May 30th 2002, 1:21 am
Michael Gallagh

>on the left? ....

Not, but as others have posted, there are hotels right around Gatwick. You can stay
there the first day and night, to get some rest, before you get going.

> .... how much country can I see if I'm constantly worrying about not making a
    > mistake? ....

Ok, maybe by being younger, I pick this up quicker. But I found over there that I
only made mistakes when I had to make split-second decisions, but most of the time,
no problem. Getting a car with an automoatci trasmission is a BIG help. But it
worked out; if anything, I had to readapt to driving on the right side of the road
after I got home!

The biggest problem was not right side to left side of the road but small town
environment to really busy suburb. The Brighton/Worthing area has pretty heavy
traffic and, if you get off the main "A" roads, lots of narrow streets made narrower
by all the cars parked along them. If you're already used to that, that's half the
battle, IMO.

> .... Is it possible to plan my route ahead of time to avoid cities (large and
    > small) where complicated traffic maneuvers would make my head explode or, worst,
    > stopping the car and having a nervous breakdown.
    >

You mean, avoid roundabouts? No. Just drive defensively; you'll be fine.

>As for the train: I want to go and see the county sides, meet some locals, and yes,
    >even sell the cow manure. (Brings back memories of my childhood on the farm in
    >Tennessee), I know I can't do much of this from a train but getting to each area of
    >the county and walking a little sounds enticing as well.
    >

You can always drive someplace, park, get out, walk a bit ....

Old May 30th 2002, 9:20 am
Doug Weller

On Tue, 28 May 2002 17:25:45 GMT, in rec.travel.europe, Scottish Quilter wrote:

>
    >Hi Brad, I would suggest you have a night's rest before driving. We ALWAYS do when
    >going to the USA. The time difference is important body clock-wise. A room at a
    >Hotel near Gatwick would be the answer, for your first night!

I second this.

Doug Doug Weller member of moderation panel sci.archaeology.moderated Submissions to:
[email protected] Doug's Archaeology Site:
http://www.ramtops.demon.co.uk Co-owner UK-Schools mailing list: email me for details

Old Jun 1st 2002, 6:20 am
Dan McLean

Go by train or bus Brad, the motorways in Southern England are horrendous, especially
around August or September. It's nose to tail traffic with suicidal drivers all doing
about 80 or 90 mph and about one car length spacing, if you have bad health then
driving on any roads in the South of England will not help any, the traffic is just
too congested.

I would suggest getting to a small town by bus or train and then get a taxi for the
last few miles, it will certainly be a lot cheaper than hiring a car. Taxi's in the
big cities tend to be more expensive than taxi's in the smaller towns. I'm 67 and I
don't have any problems using public transport, even in the remotest parts of
Scotland they have post buses that connect places at least twice a day. If you want
to get away from it all then that's just one of the penalties that you have to pay.
There are lots of bus and train journey planners on the web, just input the town
you want to depart from and your destination and they will give you bus times and
fares etc...

Old Jun 1st 2002, 7:30 pm
Rog
Just Joined

Rog is an unknown quantity at this point

In brief ---

Log on to http://www.yell.com that's the UK yellow pages. You should find cheaper car rental companies than the big 3. Maybe off-airport but they usually will deliver by arangement. You can save serious $'s in that way.

Spend night #1 near Gatwick. Try http://www.travelodge.co.uk/ and / or http://www.travelinn.co.uk both of these are 'rooom only' places but have eating houses next door. Usually clean, neat, plastic, but predictable - and that's GOOD after a long flight.

Book some days days in advance as they are very popular and represent probably as good a value for money as anywhere near a major airport in the UK. Cost about $75 US / ROOM per night.

Motorways are not as bad as some make out. For REALLY bad traffic try Beijing or Rio de Janerio! (personal experience). Driving on the left is very straightforward after first 10 mins. Roundabouts very simple indeed, General rule is give way to anyone on your RIGHT side.

Send me a pm or E-Mail if you want more details etc.