UK to Sicily

Old Jun 3rd 2002, 8:20 pm
barney

Default UK to Sicily

What does the panel think is the best way to get from the UK (Stansted and Birmingham
are preferred airports) to Sicily, balancing cheapness with rapidity?

The scheduled flights seem pricey, but I'm not entirely convinced that taking a
budget flight to Napoli and going on by rented car or public transport will not turn
a short break into a major trek...

All suggestions appreciated! I've been to Italy often BTW, but never south of Rome,
so this is new territory to me.

Old Jun 3rd 2002, 9:20 pm
Mrtravel

Default Re: UK to Sicily

I don't know how cheaply you can get to Rome, but we flew cheaply from FCO to CAG on
Volare Airlines last summer.

[email protected] wrote:
    >
    > What does the panel think is the best way to get from the UK (Stansted and
    > Birmingham are preferred airports) to Sicily, balancing cheapness with rapidity?
    >
    > The scheduled flights seem pricey, but I'm not entirely convinced that taking a
    > budget flight to Napoli and going on by rented car or public transport will not
    > turn a short break into a major trek...
    >
    > All suggestions appreciated! I've been to Italy often BTW, but never south of Rome,
    > so this is new territory to me.

Old Jun 3rd 2002, 9:20 pm
Ulf Kutzner

[email protected] schrieb:
    >
    > Birmingham are preferred airports) to Sicily, balancing cheapness with rapidity?
    >
    > The scheduled flights seem pricey, but I'm not entirely convinced that taking a
    > budget flight to Napoli and going on by rented car or public transport will not

Why not go by ship or overnight train from Naples?

Regards, ULF

Old Jun 3rd 2002, 10:20 pm
Ken Blake

[email protected] wrote:

>
    >
    > All suggestions appreciated! I've been to Italy often BTW, but never south of Rome,
    > so this is new territory to me.

One choice you might want to consider is flying to Napoli, then taking the overnight
ferry to Palermo or Catania. We've done this and it worked out well. The ferry ride
was comfortable, our stateroom was adequate (but not luxurious), it essentially took
no time (since we travelled when we would have been sleeping in a hotel), and it cost
around the same as a hotel.

--
Ken Blake Please reply to the newsgroup

Old Jun 4th 2002, 6:43 am
Just Joined

dodin is an unknown quantity at this point

Some of our guests have found cheap:" GO" flights to Naples (then ferry to Palerme) or to Catane
http://verdetecnica.tripod.com
Old Jun 5th 2002, 2:20 pm
barney

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (dodin) wrote:

> Some of our guests have found cheap:" GO" flights to Naples (then ferry to Palerme)
    > or to Catane http://verdetecnica.tripod.com
    >
Thanks (and to everyone who replied); Naples then the long overnight ferry seems to
be the consensus.