Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a week in Spain please.

Suggestions for a week in Spain please.

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 4:20 am
Davemar

Default Suggestions for a week in Spain please.

I'm planning on taking a weeks holiday next month with a pal and quite fancy Spain
(though other European countries are a consideration), but can't decide where. We
would like to be by the Med coast, which counts in a lot of resorts. But we want to
avoid the typical Brit-tourist trashy resort like Benidorm, Megaluf, etc. Something
which has some Spanish character to it where we feel we are abroad rather than a
warmed up Blackpool. We don't really want to be in a completely dead place either,
though we intend hiring a car. Alicante sounds quite promising, but I seem to be
struggling to find any packages that go there. Any ideas? We're not looking to spend
a forture, and as we have only a few weeks to go and it'll be the peak season
(mid-August) it'll probably limit our choices somewhat. I've done Spain in the past
and its always seemed a cheap place to holiday in once you are there. Looking at
doing self-catering rather than full-board too.

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 5:20 am
A.Spencer3

Default Re: Suggestions for a week in Spain please.

Davemar <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I'm planning on taking a weeks holiday next month with a pal and quite fancy Spain
    > (though other European countries are a consideration), but can't decide where. We
    > would like to be by the Med coast, which counts in a lot of resorts. But we want to
    > avoid the typical Brit-tourist trashy resort like Benidorm, Megaluf, etc. Something
    > which has some Spanish character to it where we feel we are abroad rather than a
    > warmed up Blackpool. We don't really want to be in a completely dead place either,
    > though we intend hiring a car. Alicante sounds quite promising, but I seem to be
    > struggling to find any packages that go there. Any ideas? We're not looking to
    > spend a forture, and as we have only a few weeks to go and it'll be the peak season
    > (mid-August) it'll probably limit our choices somewhat. I've done Spain in the past
    > and its always seemed a cheap place to holiday in once you are there. Looking at
    > doing self-catering rather than full-board too.

You might like Nerja, just east of Malaga. Nice blend of Spanish + tourist
facilities. Definitely no louts! Package tours there are numerous.

Surreyman

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 7:20 am
Oopsdaisy2

>ubject: Suggestions for a week in Spain please. From: [email protected]
    >(Davemar) Date: 7/23/2002 9:55 AM

>I'm planning on taking a weeks holiday next month with a pal and quite fancy Spain
    >(though other European countries are a consideration), but can't decide where. We
    >would like to be by the Med coast, which counts in a lot of resorts. But we want to
    >avoid the typical Brit-tourist trashy resort like Benidorm, Megaluf, etc. Something
    >which has some Spanish character to it where we feel we are abroad rather than a
    >warmed up Blackpool. We don't really want to be in a completely dead place either,
    >though we intend hiring a car. Alicante sounds quite promising, but I seem to be
    >struggling to find any packages that go there. Any ideas? We're not looking to spend
    >a forture, and as we have only a few weeks to go and it'll be the peak season
    >(mid-August) it'll probably limit our choices somewhat. I've done Spain in the past
    >and its always seemed a cheap place to holiday in once you are there. Looking at
    >doing self-catering rather than full-board too.

IMHO, Alicante is better than down south. Although, I'd take the area south of
Barcelona or the north/eastern coast, given a choice.

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 8:33 am
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

I know you wanted to be by the Med but is it really that important? If you want to take in the real Spain, and you only have a week, why not go to Sevilla and go to a swimming pool now and then to grab some rays? Just wandering around the old town doing tapas is a brilliant way to spend your time, (of course you'll take in the best monuments too), then wander over to the river to catch sunset and a few more cervezas, prior to nighttime activities...
Old Jul 25th 2002, 10:27 pm
wrightyboy_21

I would recommend the med coastline between Perpignan in France, across the border down towards Barcelona. (place names to look out for: Leucate, Canet Plage, St Cyprien, Argeles Sur Mer, Port Vendres.

I have been taking holidays here for several years and the area has a lot going for it:

Excellent beaches which are deserted in comparison with 'normal' tourist resorts.

It still has it's share of livelier spots (though it ain't Ibiza!!)

The majority of the tourists are french, so the quality of the food is excellent, and it has a definite local feel. The locals consider themselves to be Catalan rather than French or Spanish

Ryanair do cheap flights into Perpignan or Barcelona. They can probably also do you a good deal on car hire as part of this.

There are loads of high quality campsites or B&Bs.

If you have a hire car, then you are only a couple of hours drive from the Pyrenees / Andora. This is like a whole other holiday, hugh mountains, twisting switch back hairpins. Just like the alps but without the hundreds of tourist coaches.

Old Jul 28th 2002, 1:20 am
Buck

I'd second that, having just returned from three weeks there (again). easy trips
include a day or two in Barcelona (see the unfinished Gaudi cathedral) and a trip to
Andorra for total contrast. We left the sunny med and it was snowing as we went over
the mountains into Andorra. Beautiful scenery, nice towns and the shopping was
remarkable.

The beaches on that coast from Perpignan to Barcelona take some beating and we always
found them practically empty.

Rgds Chris

wrightyboy_21 <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I would recommend the med coastline between Perpignan in France, across the border
    > down towards Barcelona. (place names to look out for: Leucate, Canet Plage, St
    > Cyprien, Argeles Sur Mer, Port Vendres.
    >
    > I have been taking holidays here for several years and the area has a lot
    > going for it:
    >
    > Excellent beaches which are deserted in comparison with 'normal' tourist resorts.
    >
    > It still has it's share of livelier spots (though it ain't Ibiza!!)
    >
    > The majority of the tourists are french, so the quality of the food is excellent,
    > and it has a definite local feel. The locals consider themselves to be Catalan
    > rather than French or Spanish
    >
    > Ryanair do cheap flights into Perpignan or Barcelona. They can probably also do you
    > a good deal on car hire as part of this.
    >
    > There are loads of high quality campsites or B&Bs.
    >
    > If you have a hire car, then you are only a couple of hours drive from the Pyrenees
    > / Andora. This is like a whole other holiday, hugh mountains, twisting switch back
    > hairpins. Just like the alps but without the hundreds of tourist coaches.
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Aug 8th 2002, 5:56 am
Graham Hall

We're off to Nerja this year, but what about Mojacar? hung around there a bit last
year, enjoyed it v.much.

Rev

[email protected] (Davemar) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > I'm planning on taking a weeks holiday next month with a pal and quite fancy Spain
    > (though other European countries are a consideration), but can't decide where. We
    > would like to be by the Med coast, which counts in a lot of resorts. But we want to
    > avoid the typical Brit-tourist trashy resort like Benidorm, Megaluf, etc. Something
    > which has some Spanish character to it where we feel we are abroad rather than a
    > warmed up Blackpool. We don't really want to be in a completely dead place either,
    > though we intend hiring a car. Alicante sounds quite promising, but I seem to be
    > struggling to find any packages that go there. Any ideas? We're not looking to
    > spend a forture, and as we have only a few weeks to go and it'll be the peak season
    > (mid-August) it'll probably limit our choices somewhat. I've done Spain in the past
    > and its always seemed a cheap place to holiday in once you are there. Looking at
    > doing self-catering rather than full-board too.