Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.europe
Reload this Page >

sky-high airfares to europe

sky-high airfares to europe

Old Apr 21st 2002, 7:20 am
Dmathis805

Default sky-high airfares to europe

Going to Rome in mid-June. All airfares quoted by major booking pages (Orbitz,
cheaptickets, Atevo, Travelocity, Expedia, et al) from $900 to 2000. What happened?
Last year paid under $600. Any hints about airfares for this summer? Thanks.

Old Apr 21st 2002, 8:50 am
Das Rote

Default Re: sky-high airfares to europe

<< Subject: sky-high airfares to europe From: [email protected] Going to Rome in
mid-June. All airfares quoted by major booking pages (Orbitz, cheaptickets, Atevo,
Travelocity, Expedia, et al) from $900 to 2000. What happened? Last year paid
under $600 >>

IMHO you have run into the supply & demand realities. Had you booked in
January/February you could have on Orbitz gone from BOS to CDG for $670 for June
travel; my daughter did just that. It's kind of late to get a good deal on European
air fares.

Michael Schneider P.E. San Francisco, CA.

Old Apr 21st 2002, 2:50 pm
Evelyn Vogt Gam

DAS ROTE wrote:
    >
    > IMHO you have run into the supply & demand realities. Had you booked in
    > January/February you could have on Orbitz gone from BOS to CDG for $670 for June
    > travel; my daughter did just that. It's kind of late to get a good deal on European
    > air fares.
    >
    > Michael Schneider P.E. San Francisco, CA.

Well, I booked 4 December for my upcoming trip to Brussels the end of June, and it
still cost me nearly $1200 US for a round trip from LAX. Perhaps the time of year you
travel has something to do with it? I flew LAX-Vienna-Brussels-LHR-CDG-LAX in
December-January 2000-01 (with stop-offs of a week or so in each city) for only $300
more than that!

Old Apr 21st 2002, 3:50 pm
Douglas W. Hoyt

> Well, I booked 4 December for my upcoming trip to Brussels the end of June, and it
    > still cost me nearly $1200

And I've been monitoring fares (regular, online consolidator, local consolidator) for
my summer trip since fall 2001, and the upper $900's fare I paid Chicago-Hamburg was
STILL the best that ever came up. I know of friends leaving early June for Italy that
got a fare in the $600's--but if I could leave early June it would be a different
issue. After June 15th things are, and have been for quite a while, staggeringly
high. (Except Singapore Air have had a Chicago-Amsterdam fare, on a flight that only
operates a few days per week, at a remarkably good rate for anytime during the
summer--the rate has been best if you go directly to their website, though Expedia
has listed it at times).

Old Apr 21st 2002, 5:50 pm
Anonymouse

dunno

I'm leaving wednesday to amsterdam from here in middle america, change planes in
detroit...

r/t tickets for 2 came to 110$

that's for BOTH tickets... 55$ each round trip.

I bought them last september

DMathis805 wrote:

> Going to Rome in mid-June. All airfares quoted by major booking pages (Orbitz,
    > cheaptickets, Atevo, Travelocity, Expedia, et al) from $900 to 2000. What happened?
    > Last year paid under $600. Any hints about airfares for this summer? Thanks.

Old Apr 21st 2002, 6:50 pm
Miguel Cruz

ANONYMOUSE <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I'm leaving wednesday to amsterdam from here in middle america, change planes in
    > detroit...
    >
    > r/t tickets for 2 came to 110$
    >
    > that's for BOTH tickets... 55$ each round trip.
    >
    > I bought them last september

Off the back of a truck? Taxes and fees, payable even on a free ticket, are more
than that.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos and tales from around the world: http://travel.u.nu

Old Apr 21st 2002, 6:50 pm
Miguel Cruz

Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque) <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Well, I booked 4 December for my upcoming trip to Brussels the end of June, and it
    > still cost me nearly $1200 US for a round trip from LAX. Perhaps the time of year
    > you travel has something to do with it? I flew LAX-Vienna-Brussels-LHR-CDG-LAX in
    > December-January 2000-01 (with stop-offs of a week or so in each city) for only
    > $300 more than that!

My guess would be that buying that far in advance isn't too helpful. Today I see
LAX-BRU 20-31 June for $917 rt on Orbitz.

That's the first place I clicked. I am guessing that it could be had for a couple
hundred less with some looking around, in the optimal period of around 6 weeks prior
to departure.

I only know that I've never booked a flight that far in advance, and I've also never
paid rates like people are talking about here.

miguel
--

Old Apr 21st 2002, 7:20 pm
Gregory Morrow

Evelyn Vogt Gamble wrote:

> DAS ROTE wrote:
    > >
    > > IMHO you have run into the supply & demand realities. Had you booked in
    > > January/February you could have on Orbitz gone from BOS to CDG for $670 for June
    > > travel; my daughter did just that. It's kind of late to get a good deal on
    > > European air fares.
    > >
    > > Michael Schneider P.E. San Francisco, CA.
    >
    > still cost me nearly $1200 US for a round trip from LAX. Perhaps the time of year
    > you travel has something to do with it? I flew LAX-Vienna-Brussels-LHR-CDG-LAX in
    > December-January 2000-01 (with stop-offs of a week or so in each city) for only
    > $300 more than that!

Don't know if this still holds, but after 9/11 many airlines cut their capacity
(including trans - altantic) by up to 20%. Of course, now that traffic is up, some of
that capacity has been restored, but they are making fewer discount fares available.
They will charge what the market will seemingly bear.

Additionally, some airlines cut out routes entirely - here in Chicago, Aeroflot (ORD
- Moscow) and Singapore Airlines (ORD - Amsterdam)suspended flights until the summer
season (I think Virgin might have done the same thing, and British Midland cancelled
it's planned ORD - Manchester service AFAIK). And some airlines, like Sabena
(Belgium) went completely belly - up. In your particular case with your upcoming
Brussels trip, that would have an effect....

There are still some good deals to be had - this weekend friends flew JFK - ZRH
(Zurich) on American for US$410.00 r/t each. This was an AA website e - special. They
are both AA Frequent Fliers, so they were wait - listed for a business class upgrade
- which they got. Not too shabby, as the full price for business class is something
like ten times what they paid...but in summer such cheapo fares would be a rather
rare exception.

--
Best Greg

Old Apr 22nd 2002, 2:20 am
Anonymouse

>>I'm leaving wednesday to amsterdam from here in middle america, change planes in
    >>detroit...
    >>
    >>r/t tickets for 2 came to 110$
    >>
    >>that's for BOTH tickets... 55$ each round trip.
    >>
    >>I bought them last september
    >>
    >
    > Off the back of a truck? Taxes and fees, payable even on a free ticket, are more
    > than that.

Hi,

actually direct from Northwest... though the intercontinental flight is a KLM
codeshare flight.

I bought them like 9/15/01 when everybody else was cancelling tickets right and left.

Old Apr 22nd 2002, 4:50 am
Bobnyari

I bought 2 tix PDX-YVR-LHR and return for $1594 from Hotwire on Feb 2. Carrier is
Air Canada.

Bob

Jackie

http://www.orbitz.com/App/PerformFli...stId=114&last-
Page=interstitial

i found same deal for about 505 dollars but this is from d.c. to london. If you are
further north this may be cheaper. I hope this helps, even if it is just a
reference point.

Miguel Cruz

anonymouse <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> I'm leaving wednesday to amsterdam from here in middle america, change planes in
    >>> detroit...
    >>>
    >>> r/t tickets for 2 came to 110$
    >>>
    >>> that's for BOTH tickets... 55$ each round trip.
    >>>
    >>> I bought them last september
    >>
    >> Off the back of a truck? Taxes and fees, payable even on a free ticket, are more
    >> than that.
    >
    > actually direct from Northwest... though the intercontinental flight is a KLM
    > codeshare flight.
    >
    > I bought them like 9/15/01 when everybody else was cancelling tickets right
    > and left.

Still confuses me. I'm looking at a recent ticket DCA-AMS-DCA and the airport taxes
came to $66.50. Another one IAD-AMS-IAD and they were $78.59.

I've never heard of airlines voluntarily engaging in a transaction that would leave
them out-of-pocket on the taxes.

miguel
--

Old Apr 22nd 2002, 5:50 am
Brad Jackson

> My guess would be that buying that far in advance isn't too helpful. Today I see
    > LAX-BRU 20-31 June for $917 rt on Orbitz.
    >

> miguel

Could you please give some advice to a technophobe on how you get tickets through
Orbitz, Travelocity, et. al? Do you have to buy the tickets on line, or do you
call a number at the end? Are the fares really as advertised, or are there hidden
fees? Can you trust that you will get your ticket promptly once you have paid?

Thank you,

Brad Jackson

Old Apr 22nd 2002, 8:20 am
Evelyn Vogt Gam

ANONYMOUSE wrote:
    >
    > dunno
    >
    > I'm leaving wednesday to amsterdam from here in middle america, change planes in
    > detroit...
    >
    > r/t tickets for 2 came to 110$
    >
    > that's for BOTH tickets... 55$ each round trip.
    >
    > I bought them last september

September 12th, right? (;->}

Old Apr 22nd 2002, 8:50 am
Evelyn Vogt Gam

Miguel Cruz wrote:
    >
    >
    > My guess would be that buying that far in advance isn't too helpful. Today I see
    > LAX-BRU 20-31 June for $917 rt on Orbitz.

Well, I tend to operate from a sort of Catch-22 situation - I travel to hear
particular operatic performances (on, of course, particular dates). To be sure of
getting the performances I want, I buy them as far in advance as possible. Having
once paid for the tickets (usually to a "scalper") I want to be certain I'll BE there
- hence the air and hotel reservations so far in advance. Also, in this case, there
are no direct flights from LAX to Brussels. BAW may not have been the least expensive
option - I didn't check - but if I must change planes en-route, I prefer it to be in
Europe (to avoid the problem, on return to the U.S., of having to clear customs
before my final destination) and in a country where I KNOW I understand the language.
I'm doubly cautious after nearly missing my February return flight from Paris CDG
because they changed the departure gate on me, and I apparently did not
hear/understand the announcement, when they did so. (That could still happen, of
course, but at least not TWICE on the same journey, if my change is at LHR.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.