Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.europe
Reload this Page >

Pub-style food in western Berlin

Pub-style food in western Berlin

Old Aug 26th 2007, 5:26 pm
  #1  
-Pete
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Pub-style food in western Berlin

What I am looking for are cafes/restaurants that are reasonably
priced, serve plain but good food, and offer a menu in English.
Anything from an English/Irish pub to a typical German cafe will
suffice, as long as I can read an English menu (Ich verstehe nur ein
bischen Deutsche). I will be staying in Spandau and I will have an
ABC zone transit pass, so anyplace from just east of Spandau to
Potsdam would be okay.


Pete
 
Old Aug 26th 2007, 5:33 pm
  #2  
Knight Of The Road
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Pub-style food in western Berlin

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote

> What I am looking for are cafes/restaurants that are reasonably
> priced, serve plain but good food, and offer a menu in English.




Might be an idea to get a guide book with a menu translation section so you
can eat anywhere. Generally, you set yourself up to be fleeced if you
specifically seek out restaurants which cater to non-natives.

Try a Jaegar Schnitzel, they are delicious.


--
Regards, Vince.

Long Distance Diary (NEW! 24th August 2007)
Sittingbourne- Banff- Gdansk http://tinyurl.com/28n7kq
 
Old Aug 26th 2007, 5:53 pm
  #3  
-Pete
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Pub-style food in western Berlin

> get a guide book with a menu translation section

I have both a guide book and a phrase book.

> Generally, you set yourself up to be fleeced if you specifically seek out
> restaurants which cater to non-natives.

I have been fleeced eating at restaurants that cater to locals because,
I assume, they thought I was a rich tourist. Also I have been served
a completely wrong meal because of incorrect communication. Did
you note that I asked for a cafe with an English menu, not English
speaking servers?


Pete
 
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:21 pm
  #4  
EvelynVogtGamble
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Pub-style food in western Berlin

Pete wrote:

> What I am looking for are cafes/restaurants that are reasonably
> priced, serve plain but good food, and offer a menu in English.
> Anything from an English/Irish pub to a typical German cafe will
> suffice, as long as I can read an English menu (Ich verstehe nur ein
> bischen Deutsche). I will be staying in Spandau and I will have an
> ABC zone transit pass, so anyplace from just east of Spandau to
> Potsdam would be okay.

Most pocket-size phrase books contain a section on
restaurant food choices. Failing that, you might learn the
German for "I'm sorry, I don't speak German - could you tell
me what this (pointing to item) is in English?" You will
probably find that at least some of the waiters in most
European restaurants speak enough English for that.

>
>
> Pete
>
>
 
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:28 pm
  #5  
EvelynVogtGamble
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Pub-style food in western Berlin

Pete wrote:

>>get a guide book with a menu translation section
>
>
> I have both a guide book and a phrase book.
>
>
>>Generally, you set yourself up to be fleeced if you specifically seek out
>>restaurants which cater to non-natives.
>
>
> I have been fleeced eating at restaurants that cater to locals because,
> I assume, they thought I was a rich tourist. Also I have been served
> a completely wrong meal because of incorrect communication. Did
> you note that I asked for a cafe with an English menu, not English
> speaking servers?

Define "wrong meal". Unless you are on a restricted diet
for reasons of health, you might discover a new favorite
food, that way. I admit I've been surprised by a menu item
once or twice, having mistranslated it, but I wouldn't ever
say it was "wrong" - where's your sense of culinary
adventure? And why travel, if you're not willing to try new
foods?
 
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:55 pm
  #6  
Runge3
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Pub-style food in western Berlin

duh

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le
message de news:[email protected]
>
>
> Pete wrote:
>
>>>get a guide book with a menu translation section
>>
>>
>> I have both a guide book and a phrase book.
>>
>>
>>>Generally, you set yourself up to be fleeced if you specifically seek out
>>>restaurants which cater to non-natives.
>>
>>
>> I have been fleeced eating at restaurants that cater to locals because,
>> I assume, they thought I was a rich tourist. Also I have been served
>> a completely wrong meal because of incorrect communication. Did
>> you note that I asked for a cafe with an English menu, not English
>> speaking servers?
>
> Define "wrong meal". Unless you are on a restricted diet for reasons of
> health, you might discover a new favorite food, that way. I admit I've
> been surprised by a menu item once or twice, having mistranslated it, but
> I wouldn't ever say it was "wrong" - where's your sense of culinary
> adventure? And why travel, if you're not willing to try new foods?
 
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:09 pm
  #7  
Knight Of The Road
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Pub-style food in western Berlin

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote



> I have been fleeced eating at restaurants that cater to locals because,
> I assume, they thought I was a rich tourist.


Then you must have "Mug" written on your forehead because I have spent 70%
of the last twenty years in mainland Europe, in 28 different countries and
this has never once happened to me.



Also I have been served
> a completely wrong meal because of incorrect communication.


Learn to communicate then.



Did
> you note that I asked for a cafe with an English menu, not English
> speaking servers?



Yes, that's why I didn't offer any opinion on cafes with English speaking
servers


--
Regards, Vince.

Long Distance Diary (NEW! 24th August 2007)
Sittingbourne- Banff- Gdansk http://tinyurl.com/28n7kq
 
Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:34 pm
  #8  
-Iceman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Pub-style food in western Berlin

On Aug 26, 12:26 pm, "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote:
> What I am looking for are cafes/restaurants that are reasonably
> priced, serve plain but good food, and offer a menu in English.
> Anything from an English/Irish pub to a typical German cafe will
> suffice, as long as I can read an English menu (Ich verstehe nur ein
> bischen Deutsche). I will be staying in Spandau and I will have an
> ABC zone transit pass, so anyplace from just east of Spandau to
> Potsdam would be okay.


It's Germany we're talking about. You're not going to be served
grasshoppers or sheep brains or squid intestines. I don't know any
German at all, and I could figure out the menus easily. Learn basic
food words before you go, or carry a phrasebook, and you'll be fine.
If you insist on English menus you deserve to pay high prices for
crappy tourist restaurants.
 
Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:43 pm
  #9  
Knight Of The Road
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Pub-style food in western Berlin

"Iceman" <[email protected]> wrote

> Learn basic
> food words before you go, or carry a phrasebook, and you'll be fine.
> If you insist on English menus you deserve to pay high prices for
> crappy tourist restaurants.
>



Well, that's more or less what I told him but he immediately gave me a
sarcastic answer so now I'm treating him as a Usenet Fool and my prediction
is that he is going to come seriously unstuck with this "Excuse me chaps,
I'm English" attitude on his voyage.



--
Regards, Vince.

Long Distance Diary (NEW! 24th August 2007)
Sittingbourne- Banff- Gdansk http://tinyurl.com/28n7kq


>
 
Old Aug 27th 2007, 1:24 am
  #10  
D.G.S.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Pub-style food in western Berlin

On 8/26/2007 9:26 AM Pete didn't have much to say, yet wrote:

> What I am looking for are cafes/restaurants that are reasonably
> priced, serve plain but good food, and offer a menu in English.
> Anything from an English/Irish pub to a typical German cafe will
> suffice, as long as I can read an English menu (Ich verstehe nur ein
> bischen Deutsche). I will be staying in Spandau and I will have an
> ABC zone transit pass, so anyplace from just east of Spandau to
> Potsdam would be okay.

If you're going to limit yourself like that, can't help you much.

The likelihood of finding an English-friendly place increases as
you go towards the city center, and if you have the full transit
pass, it would be pretty easy to get there. I know of a couple of
brewpubs in central Berlin that have their menus in English.

If you're interested, I'll mention them. Can't imagine going to
Germany with an attitude like yours, though.
--
dgs
 
Old Aug 27th 2007, 2:34 am
  #11  
Nospam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Pub-style food in western Berlin

> If you're going to limit yourself like that, can't help you much.

Okay, how about this. Go and ahead and mention any restaurant
in any price range serving any kind of food anywhere within the
borders of Germany.

dgs = dimwitted grunting smegma
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.