Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.europe
Reload this Page >

Places to see in Provence

Places to see in Provence

Old Mar 6th 2002, 5:36 am
Lisa

Default Places to see in Provence

I'm looking for recommendations for places to see and stay in Provence. I'm a 25 year
old female travelling alone and I'll be there for 11 days in late May/June.

I'm more interested in beautiful scenery, architecture, history and great food than
partying all night! Any ideas?

Old Mar 6th 2002, 6:06 am
Calif Bill

Default Re: Places to see in Provence

Wife and I loved Avignon. June is the Music festival and the Thursday before
festival, they have bandstands all over the city inside the walls and free music. We
watched a French horn and string concert in the Palais. Bill

Lisa wrote in message <[email protected]>. ..
    >I'm looking for recommendations for places to see and stay in Provence. I'm a 25
    >year old female travelling alone and I'll be there for 11 days in late May/June.
    >
    >I'm more interested in beautiful scenery, architecture, history and great food than
    >partying all night! Any ideas?

Old Mar 6th 2002, 6:35 am
Jack/Travel

On 5 Mar 2002 21:54:36 -0800, [email protected] (Lisa) wrote:

>I'm looking for recommendations for places to see and stay in Provence. I'm a 25
    >year old female travelling alone and I'll be there for 11 days in late May/June.
    >
    >I'm more interested in beautiful scenery, architecture, history and great food than
    >partying all night! Any ideas?
Log on the Provence section of my web site for all the places possible to visit in
Provence with recommendations (hotels and restaurants). The Provence page starts at
http://www.jack-travel.com/Provence/...cemainpage.htm

Jack

Visit my personal website where you'll find my travel tips, hotel suggestions, and
restaurant reviews for Paris, most regions of France, Belgium, Amsterdam and Venice.
http://www.jack-travel.com/ personal contact address: [email protected]

Old Mar 6th 2002, 12:43 pm
Paul Stone

The most beatiful place in Provence is Les Baux. It probably has everything you are
looking for, mountains, history, culture, etc "Lisa" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for recommendations for places to see and stay in Provence. I'm a 25
    > year old female travelling alone and I'll be there for 11 days in late May/June.
    >
    > I'm more interested in beautiful scenery, architecture, history and great food than
    > partying all night! Any ideas?

Old Mar 6th 2002, 4:05 pm
Robert Buxbaum

In article <[email protected] >, [email protected]
(Lisa) wrote:

> I'm looking for recommendations for places to see and stay in Provence. I'm a 25
    > year old female travelling alone and I'll be there for 11 days in late May/June.
    >
    > I'm more interested in beautiful scenery, architecture, history and great food than

How are you traveling, by car, by public transportation, etc.? Do you anticipate
moving about from hotel to hotel and how often, or will you be making day trips?
Do you want cities with lots to see or a nice centrally located palce? Finally,
if you have no plans and ask such a broad unanswerable question, why did you
choose Provence?

--
Food/Wine/Travel website with a French focus <http://www.worldtable.com> Paris, July
2001 <http://www.worldtable.com/reports/paris.jul.2001.html> France/food - eGullet
<http://www.egullet.com/ib3/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi

Old Mar 6th 2002, 9:36 pm
Megan Grenenger

"Lisa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    >

As Robert said in another response, your means of travel may be your biggest
determining factor.

Also, what is your idea of towns in Provence? Because I started out enquiring about
a trip to Provence for May last year and realised I was thinking of too many
different regions.

Last year I visited the Luberon region with 3 other people. And I don't think the
Luberon is Provence per se. But. We arrived in Avignon via train (from Tours where
we'd been visiting the Loire region), and then we hired a car. We drove to and stayed
in Lourmarin for 3 nights (before heading over to Grasse for 3 nights and visiting
Riviera towns) and drove to many beautiful towns - Les Baux, Roussillon, Bonnieux,
Gordes, Menerbes, Senaque Abbey, ... But these may be very difficult to get to if you
are needing to use public transport.

I was wanting "Provence" with all its images of sunflowers, lavender, poppies and
Van Gogh. So even though we didn't visit Avignon, Aix, Arles, ... and the time of
year we went was the middle two weeks of May, we saw poppies, no lavender, no
sunflowers, and lots of beautiful Luberon towns. A little reading will make any of
your intended destinations come alive with historical information and the like, and
the scenery is gorgeous And I don't know much about architecture, but these towns
perched on hillsides are beautiful with their winding streets and cute doors framed
by rambling roses.

Your timing should be wonderful - you'll see poppies and depending on the heat and
where you visit you'll see lavender too When we were there it was hot but we saw a
couple of ripper storms too!

Wherever you end up going you'll have a wonderful time! (I do have my trip notes on a
GeoCities web site with details of our accommodation but haven't posted here in case
it's considered spamming - plus it may not be the area you're interested in.)

Megan Brisbane, Australia

Old Mar 7th 2002, 1:38 am
Lisa

I was hoping to travel by public transport, but I'm getting the impression that it
would be worthwhile investing in a rental car for a week to get out into the
countryside. I'd planned on basing myself in a city for about a week and making day
trips from there, so ideally I'd like a centrally located city with lots to see! The
other few days I'd like spend in another one or two towns, maybe staying 2 nights in
each to minimise moving around with a heavy backpack.

I chose to go to Provence because of the beautiful countryside, history and southern
French cuisine, which I love.

> How are you traveling, by car, by public transportation, etc.? Do you anticipate
    > moving about from hotel to hotel and how often, or will you be making day trips? Do
    > you want cities with lots to see or a nice centrally located palce? Finally, if you
    > have no plans and ask such a broad unanswerable question, why did you choose
    > Provence?

Old Mar 7th 2002, 4:06 am
Mark Fagan

My choices would be either Aix en Provence, for seeing the heart of Provence, the
Luberon, Marseille and the coast or Avignon for a larger city, with access to the
Rhone Valley, the Roman cities of Uzès and Nimes and the Pont du Gard. You can split
your time between both, or stay all the time in either one and take longer drives out
to the various areas that overlap. If you use the Autoroute system, you can move
quickly from one area to another, at the cost of the scenic drive. We often drove one
way by autoroute and the other on the local roads. I'd check out the maps at the
front of the Michelin Green Guide (even in the bookstore) and check out the sites of
interest and pick the best location for your own needs.

"Lisa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >

Old Mar 7th 2002, 7:36 pm
Mikeandpambird

In article <[email protected]>, Mark Fagan
<[email protected]> writes
    >My choices would be either Aix en Provence, for seeing the heart of Provence, the
    >Luberon, Marseille and the coast or Avignon for a larger city, with access to the
    >Rhone Valley, the Roman cities of Uzès and Nimes and the Pont du Gard. You can split
    >your time between both, or stay all the time in either one and take longer drives
    >out to the various areas that overlap. If you use the Autoroute system, you can move
    >quickly from one area to another, at the cost of the scenic drive. We often drove
    >one way by autoroute and the other on the local roads. I'd check out the maps at the
    >front of the Michelin Green Guide (even in the bookstore) and check out the sites of
    >interest and pick the best location for your own needs.
    >
    >"Lisa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> I'm looking for recommendations for places to see and stay in Provence. I'm a 25
    >> year old female travelling alone and I'll be there for 11 days in late May/June.
    >>
    >> I'm more interested in beautiful scenery, architecture, history and great food
    >> than partying all night! Any ideas?
    >
    >

-- We strongly recommend Arles and the Hotel du Musee Tel 00 33 4 90 93 88 88 The
hotel has its own garage and the most delightful rooms overlooking the courtyard
where breakfast is taken.The owners are very friendly and speak English.The hotel is
in the centre of Arles and in the middle of Van Gogh country.Book early the hotel is
becoming well known. mikeandpambird

Old Mar 7th 2002, 9:36 pm
Robert Buxbaum

I'm going to suggest the Green Michelin guide to Provence as a good overall guide to
get a bearing and see where the sights are and to use in planning your trip. I've
always had a car at my disposal in the region, so I do not know which location offers
the best access to other spots by public transportation or how to best go about
seeing the coutryside by public tranportation. A car affords maximum flexibility, but
can be expensive if traveling alone. Avignon has got to be the most central city and
probably the one with the most to see and do. It's also the most touristy, but that's
also not so bad as it affords a lively cafe life. Arles and Aix may be more
interesting in many ways.

In article <[email protected] >, [email protected]
(Lisa) wrote:

> I was hoping to travel by public transport, but I'm getting the impression that it
    > would be worthwhile investing in a rental car for a week to get out into the
    > countryside. I'd planned on basing myself in a city for about a week and making day
    > trips from there, so ideally I'd like a centrally located city with lots to see!
    > The other few days I'd like spend in another one or two towns, maybe staying 2
    > nights in each to minimise moving around with a heavy backpack.
    >
    > I chose to go to Provence because of the beautiful countryside, history and
    > southern French cuisine, which I love.
    >
    > > How are you traveling, by car, by public transportation, etc.? Do you anticipate
    > > moving about from hotel to hotel and how often, or will you be making day trips?
    > > Do you want cities with lots to see or a nice centrally located palce? Finally,
    > > if you have no plans and ask such a broad unanswerable question, why did you
    > > choose Provence?

--
Food/Wine/Travel website with a French focus <http://www.worldtable.com> Paris, July
2001 <http://www.worldtable.com/reports/paris.jul.2001.html> France/food - eGullet
<http://www.egullet.com/ib3/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi

Old Mar 7th 2002, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

haydon is an unknown quantity at this point

hello, the most beautiful place, not only in provence, but for me, the world is les gorges du verdon (type it into google) at either "end" of the gorge u have 2 beautiful villages and a wonderful lake (lac de st croix) the colour of which has to be seen to be believed, the most wonderful day of my life was spent here. i hope this helps u, have a great time wherever u go!
Old Mar 7th 2002, 11:06 pm
R J Carpenter

haydon wrote:
    >
    > hello, the most beautiful place, not only in provence, but for me, the world is les
    > gorges du verdon (type it into google) at either "end" of the gorge u have 2
    > beautiful villages and a wonderful lake (lac de st croix) the colour of which has
    > to be seen to be believed, the most wonderful day of my life was spent here. i hope
    > this helps u, have a great time wherever u go!

Last Sunday's New York Times travel section has a photo of the Gorges on its
front page.

Old Mar 8th 2002, 2:06 am
Mark Fagan

Further to this, you might enjoy a visit to Fontaines de Vaucluse, a beautiful
natural spring flowing out of the rock. While a bit touristy in the town, the final
walk to the spring is pristine and the landscape strongly reminded me of the
landscape background in the Mona Lisa for some reason.

"Mark Fagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > My choices would be either Aix en Provence, for seeing the heart of Provence, the
    > Luberon, Marseille and the coast or Avignon for a larger
city,
    > with access to the Rhone Valley, the Roman cities of Uzès and Nimes and
the
    > Pont du Gard. You can split your time between both, or stay all the time
in
    > either one and take longer drives out to the various areas that overlap.
If
    > you use the Autoroute system, you can move quickly from one area to
another,
    > at the cost of the scenic drive. We often drove one way by autoroute and the other
    > on the local roads. I'd check out the maps at the front of the Michelin Green Guide
    > (even in the bookstore) and check out the sites of interest and pick the best
    > location for your own needs.
    >
    > "Lisa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm looking for recommendations for places to see and stay in Provence. I'm a 25
    > > year old female travelling alone and I'll be there for 11 days in late May/June.
    > >
    > > I'm more interested in beautiful scenery, architecture, history and great food
    > > than partying all night! Any ideas?