Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.europe
Reload this Page >

London weather in July

London weather in July

Old May 22nd 2002, 6:21 am
Me

Default London weather in July

Went researching the typical London weather in July and they are listing the average
high's around 70 F. This shocked me because 3 years ago I wandered around on 80+
days. Was that a 3 sigma event or something or is the standard deviation on that
average quite high? (And will the lows experience similar deviations?) Is this
primarily a function of rainfall?
(i.e. if it's raining it will be 20 degrees colder than if the sun is shining).

Old May 22nd 2002, 6:38 am
Megan

Default Re: London weather in July

On 22 May 2002 10:28:31 -0700, [email protected] (me) wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!
    >Went researching the typical London weather in July and they are listing the average
    >high's around 70 F. This shocked me because 3 years ago I wandered around on 80+
    >days. Was that a 3 sigma event or something or is the standard deviation on that
    >average quite high? (And will the lows experience similar deviations?) Is this
    >primarily a function of rainfall?
    >(i.e. if it's raining it will be 20 degrees colder than if the sun is shining).

It *can* be 80F or even warmer and it can do that for days on end but 70C is more
like it. Its more commonly cooler than hotter, but not a lot cooler (mid 60s). So its
a case of 12 days below, 6 above, the rest average, so the average is lower spread
over the whole month.

Converting the temperatures though - its not a big difference to me at all - about
21C to 26C.

Its largely an effect of being an island off a large land mass - when the wind is
from the south (coming in off the Atlantic or the continent) the weather can soar,
the next day, if the wind turns to the north-east (across the north sea and the
fens), it can indeed drop 15F literally overnight, add in a little rainfall (yes,
that will drop the air temperature quite a bit) and it can be quite a shock.

As with most temperate islands (NZ and Japan can have the same flip-flop weather IME)
pack a warm set of clothes and rainwear whatever season). The latter particularly -
the other effect of being surrounded by ocean is that hot weather almost always leads
to thunder storms!

Megan
--
Megan Farr Montgomery

Lille kat, lille kat, lille kat på vejen Hvis er du, Hvis er du Jeg er sgu' min egen
- Piet Hein

Old May 22nd 2002, 6:38 am
Mike O'Sullivan

Average of how many years? You've got to factor in the summers which don't get above
55 degrees.

"me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Went researching the typical London weather in July and they are listing the
    > average high's around 70 F. This shocked me because 3 years ago I wandered around
    > on 80+ days. Was that a 3 sigma event or something or is the standard deviation on
    > that average quite high? (And will the lows experience similar deviations?) Is this
    > primarily a function of rainfall?
    > (i.e. if it's raining it will be 20 degrees colder than if the sun is shining).

Old May 22nd 2002, 7:21 am
P J Wallace

If the temperature in London goes above 80, the newspapers will publish stories about
people fainting in the Tube, sunbathing in the parks, and so on. If it does so for
more than two days in a row, they will start a series on global warming, immediate
prospects of drought, price-gouging by ice-cream merchants, how everyone loses their
manners/dress sense/ will to live during hot weather, and 'why oh why are always
taken by surprise by warm weather' stories....

You obviously got that year's heatwave. As I understand it, the determining factors
tend to be how the highs and lows of atmospheric pressure moving around the edges of
Atlantic and continental weather systems allow competing airstreams to flow -
sometimes straight down from the Arctic, sometimes straight up from the Sahara,
mostly off the Gulf Stream (which is why it rains). The main problem, it seems to me,
is increasing humidity in a warm summer.

PJW On 22 May 2002 10:28:31 -0700, [email protected] (me) wrote:

>Went researching the typical London weather in July and they are listing the average
    >high's around 70 F. This shocked me because 3 years ago I wandered around on 80+
    >days. Was that a 3 sigma event or something or is the standard deviation on that
    >average quite high? (And will the lows experience similar deviations?) Is this
    >primarily a function of rainfall?
    >(i.e. if it's raining it will be 20 degrees colder than if the sun is shining).

Old May 22nd 2002, 8:21 am
Grey

>high's around 70 F.

I have a hard time believing that. Certainly I've seen days in London near 90F. Are
you sure that's the average high and not just the average? Things seem to be warming
up; have seen temps going up year to year. I've certainly been in enough hotels where
all the fans were checked out and the waiting list was long (guests were buying their
own fans), more and more hotels where they are starting to install
a/c, reading tube signs warning what to do if you feel faint from the heat, etc. Have
also heard many times from surprised locals, "It's never this hot here!"--year
after year. As far as I am concerned, Londoners are in denial about the city's true
summer temperature...when booking hotels and asking about a/c in July/August,
you'll always hear how you don't need it. Too many sleepless nights later in
breezeless hotel rooms at 80-85F all night, I no longer believe it.

A truly cool book: The World Is Already Yours Conscious living in the real world
www.alreadyyours.com (sample chapter, etc...)

Old May 22nd 2002, 6:26 pm
Ohsojourner

Mike O'Sullivan wrote:

>Average of how many years? You've got to factor in the summers which don't get above
    >55 degrees.

Wow, when was that? (I experienced a June/July a couple years ago when it got up into
the 80s, which seems a lot hotter due to the humidity. Incidentally, August
temperatures in the 60s (F) were very comfortable, and I would recommend England as a
late summer destination for anyone who lives in a country plagued by heat waves at
the same time, like the way it was in the U.S. last year).

>"me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news

>>Went researching the typical London weather in July and they are listing the
    >>average high's around 70 F. This shocked me because 3 years ago I wandered around
    >>on 80+ days. Was that a 3 sigma event or something or is the standard deviation on
    >>that average quite high? (And will the lows experience similar deviations?) Is this
    >>primarily a function of rainfall? (i.e. if it's raining it will be 20 degrees
    >>colder than if the sun is shining).

http://sojourns.150m.com/photoindex.html (updated 5/04/02)

Old May 22nd 2002, 7:22 pm
Jeremy Rogers

[email protected] (me) in message
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Went researching the typical London weather in July and they are listing the
    > average high's around 70 F. This shocked me because 3 years ago I wandered around
    > on 80+ days. Was that a 3 sigma event or something or is the standard deviation on
    > that average quite high?

Highest temperature officially recorded in London is 98F.

Over the last 20 years or so the average high temperature is 72F, and the lowest
recorded temprature 45F.

Jez
--

Old May 23rd 2002, 12:21 am
Brian Howell

>>Went researching the typical London weather in July and they are listing the
    >>average high's around 70 F. This shocked me because 3 years ago I wandered around
    >>on 80+ days. Was that a 3 sigma event or something or is the standard deviation on
    >>that average quite high? (And will the lows experience similar deviations?) Is this
    >>primarily a function of rainfall?
    >>(i.e. if it's raining it will be 20 degrees colder than if the sun is shining).
London only has two seasons, rain roadworks TEST We take ALL Major credit cards,
click below for details https://www.paypal.com/affil/pal=57C4ZNJD4RK62

Old May 23rd 2002, 1:21 am
Me

grey <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>. ..
    > On 22 May 2002 10:28:31 -0700, [email protected] (me) wrote:
    >
    > >Went researching the typical London weather in July and they are listing the
    > >average high's around 70 F.
    >
    > I have a hard time believing that. Certainly I've seen days in London near 90F. Are
    > you sure that's the average high and not just the average?

http://www.weather.com/weather/clima...?dayofyear=182

Avg. High 71F Avg. Low 51 F Mean 61 F

Unfortunately, no indication of the sample size nor of the standard deviation on
either an annual basis or a daily one. Can't call up specific years either so I
could check my memory of July, 1999.

Old May 23rd 2002, 1:21 am
R J Carpenter

me wrote:
    >
    > grey <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>. ..
    > > On 22 May 2002 10:28:31 -0700, [email protected] (me) wrote:
    > >
    > > >Went researching the typical London weather in July and they are listing the
    > > >average high's around 70 F.
    > >
    > > I have a hard time believing that. Certainly I've seen days in London near 90F.
    > > Are you sure that's the average high and not just the average?
    >
    > http://www.weather.com/weather/clima...?dayofyear=182
    >
    > Avg. High 71F Avg. Low 51 F Mean 61 F
    >
    > Unfortunately, no indication of the sample size nor of the standard deviation
    > on either an annual basis or a daily one. Can't call up specific years either
    > so I could check my memory of July, 1999.

According to the Times "World Weather Guide", July in London, based on 30
years of data.

Highest recorded 93 F Average daily high 71 F Average daily low 56 F Lowest
recorded 45 F

Average number of July days w/ precipitation 0.01 in or more = 12

For comparison: [all in F] [January] Plymouth UK Paris Rome Toronto NYC Dallas
Seattle Sydney Highest 84 104 98 105 102 105 100 114 Avg High 66 76 87 79 82 94 72
78 Avg Low 55 58 67 59 66 75 54 65 Lowest 45 48 54 39 54 56 46 51 Wet Days 14 12 1
10 12 5 4 14

Old May 23rd 2002, 3:21 am
Bob Fusillo

"Brian Howell (Office manager) " <[email protected]> wrote in message

> London only has two seasons, rain roadworks

Lovely! Most I've laughed at an internet joke in weeks. rjf

Old May 23rd 2002, 3:21 am
Bob Fusillo

All this talk about averages is fine, but -- I once arrived in London in early June
wearing the light tweed suit that was, for me, standard at that time of year. The
temperature hit 92 F-- the hottest day in ten years. Again, one week in summertime
Scotland, where I went to cool off, it hit upper eighties for a week But I also
remember the radio announcer saying that London had got to a "sizzling 65" one summer
day. Take clothes for pleasant but pack a few t-shirts. rjf

"R J Carpenter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > me wrote:
    > >
    > > grey <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>. ..
    > > > On 22 May 2002 10:28:31 -0700, [email protected] (me) wrote:
    > > >
    > > > >Went researching the typical London weather in July and they are listing the
    > > > >average high's around 70 F.
    > > >
    > > > I have a hard time believing that. Certainly I've seen days in London near 90F.
    > > > Are you sure that's the average high and not just the average?
    > >
    > > http://www.weather.com/weather/clima...?dayofyear=182
    > >
    > > Avg. High 71F Avg. Low 51 F Mean 61 F
    > >
    > > Unfortunately, no indication of the sample size nor of the standard deviation
    > > on either an annual basis or a daily one. Can't call up specific years either
    > > so I could check my memory of July, 1999.
    >
    > According to the Times "World Weather Guide", July in London, based on 30 years
    > of data.
    >
    > Highest recorded 93 F Average daily high 71 F Average daily low 56 F Lowest
    > recorded 45 F
    >
    > Average number of July days w/ precipitation 0.01 in or more = 12
    >
    > For comparison: [all in F] [January] Plymouth UK Paris Rome Toronto NYC Dallas
    > Seattle Sydney Highest 84 104 98 105 102 105 100 114 Avg High 66 76 87 79 82 94 72
    > 78 Avg Low 55 58 67 59 66 75 54 65 Lowest 45 48 54 39 54 56 46 51 Wet Days 14 12 1
    > 10 12 5 4 14

Old May 23rd 2002, 5:21 am
Rosalie B .

I have only been to London or England once in my life, and that was in 1950. People
were running around in shorts in weather that I would have worn at least a jacket. We
stayed somewhere where there was no heat (because it was *summer*) and I was cold
even under 3 blankets at night.

I think London has something in common with San Francisco. We were out there in that
area for 2 years, and if it got up to 90 deg F, they talked about frying eggs on the
sidewalk because it was so hot.

I suspect that the reason Washington DC was regarded as a hardship post for the
diplomatic corps is because the summer weather there is so much hotter than it is in
England. We don't really talk about a heat wave here until the weather is over 100
deg F for several days in a row.

[email protected] (OhSojourner) wrote:

>Mike O'Sullivan wrote:
    >
    >>Average of how many years? You've got to factor in the summers which don't get
    >>above 55 degrees.
    >
    >Wow, when was that? (I experienced a June/July a couple years ago when it got up
    >into the 80s, which seems a lot hotter due to the humidity. Incidentally, August
    >temperatures in the 60s (F) were very comfortable, and I would recommend England as
    >a late summer destination for anyone who lives in a country plagued by heat waves at
    >the same time, like the way it was in the U.S. last year).
    >
    >>"me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news
    >
    >>>Went researching the typical London weather in July and they are listing the
    >>>average high's around 70 F. This shocked me because 3 years ago I wandered around
    >>>on 80+ days. Was that a 3 sigma event or something or is the standard deviation on
    >>>that average quite high? (And will the lows experience similar deviations?) Is
    >>>this primarily a function of rainfall? (i.e. if it's raining it will be 20 degrees
    >>>colder than if the sun is shining).
    >
    >
    >************************************************* ******
    >http://sojourns.150m.com/photoindex.html (updated 5/04/02)

grandma Rosalie

Old May 23rd 2002, 6:21 am
Richard

"R J Carpenter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > me wrote:

> For comparison: [all in F] [January] Plymouth UK Paris Rome Toronto NYC Dallas
    > Seattle Sydney Highest 84 104 98 105 102 105 100 114 Avg High 66 76 87 79 82 94 72
    > 78 Avg Low 55 58 67 59 66 75 54 65 Lowest 45 48 54 39 54 56 46 51 Wet Days 14 12 1
    > 10 12 5 4 14

Are you sure you didn't mean July and not January?

Richard

Old May 23rd 2002, 6:21 am
Miguel Cruz

Richard <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"R J Carpenter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> For comparison: [all in F] [January] Plymouth UK Paris Rome Toronto NYC Dallas
    >> Seattle Sydney Highest 84 104 98 105 102 105 100 114 Avg High 66 76 87 79 82 94 72
    >> 78 Avg Low 55 58 67 59 66 75 54 65 Lowest 45 48 54 39 54 56 46 51 Wet Days 14 12 1
    >> 10 12 5 4 14
    >
    > Are you sure you didn't mean July and not January?

January for Sydney, since July is the middle of winter there.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos and tales from around the world: http://travel.u.nu New mini
photo-feature: Life in DC: http://travel.u.nu/dc/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.