Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.europe
Reload this Page >

Italy trip: Bologna/Verona. Advice sought.

Italy trip: Bologna/Verona. Advice sought.

Old Feb 18th 2002, 5:45 pm
Red Belly

Default Italy trip: Bologna/Verona. Advice sought.

I can get cheapish flights in and out of Bologna. I plan to spend 5/6 nights in
Bologna and 2/3 nights in Verona in early July but I can be flexible and go anytime
in July or August. I'll be travelling with my wife, we're thirty-somethings, both
into classical music (hence we want to take in at least one evening of opera in
Verona). We plan to stay in hotels (three stars or higher) and we like to stay in
hotels that are within easy walking distance of the historic center. We'll be
travelling by train within Italy which we haven't done before but I'm told its a
pretty good service. We like museums, architecture, galleries, shopping for things of
local relevance and good food (hence Bologna!) and I'm into football (soccer) but I
know July/August is close season.

So what advice am I looking for I hear you ask? Well:
1) timing, as I'm pretty fexible as to when I travel during July and August are
there any major events I should try to work into or out of my schedule?
2) Destination. Is 5/6 nights too much for Bologna? We might make a daytrip to
Florence (we've been before but this time we might really have a proper go at the
Uffizi!) but we could split our time between Bologna and somewhere like Ferrara.
Could Ferrara be a daytrip or would it be worth relocating from our Bologna hotel.
3) Daytrips. What are good trips from Bologna (assumimg Bologna doesn't have more
than enough to amuse us, which it may well do)? I'd love to have a look at places
like San Marino, Parma, Padua etc etc but I don't want to just skim the surface. I
can always (and will) make more trips to Italy!
4) Hotel recommendations, your own experiences would be much appreciated. I've been
looking at a hotel called Due Torri in Bologna and the Romeo e Giulietta in
Verona, they seem nice and would meet our "central" needs. Anyone been or have a
different recommendation?
5) Opera tickets. The Verona Arena has a wide range of ticket prices. We'll be
quite happy with the cheaper seats if we can see, hear and be relatively
comfortable, but will we be furious with ourselves for not spending a little
more when we get there? And am I safe in assuming a casual dress code at least
in the cheaper seats?

WOW! That was long! Sorry about that! If you've been kind enough to read all that and
have some word of wisdom to relate I'm ever so grateful. As you may guess, I've a
pretty clear idea of what we want but a bit of reassurance and/or different
perspective would be nice before I start booking flights etc.

rb

Old Feb 18th 2002, 6:25 pm
Luca Logi

Default Re: Italy trip: Bologna/Verona. Advice sought.

Red Belly <[email protected]> wrote:

> I can get cheapish flights in and out of Bologna. I plan to spend 5/6 nights in
    > Bologna and 2/3 nights in Verona in early July but I can be flexible and go anytime
    > in July or August. I'll be travelling with my wife, we're thirty-somethings, both
    > into classical music (hence we want to take in at least one evening of opera in
    > Verona). We plan to stay in hotels (three stars or higher) and we like to stay in
    > hotels that are within easy walking distance of the historic center. We'll be
    > travelling by train within Italy which we haven't done before but I'm told its a
    > pretty good service. We like museums, architecture, galleries, shopping for things
    > of local relevance and good food (hence Bologna!) and I'm into football (soccer)
    > but I know July/August is close season.
    >
    > So what advice am I looking for I hear you ask? Well:
    > 1) timing, as I'm pretty fexible as to when I travel during July and August are
    > there any major events I should try to work into or out of my schedule?
    > 2) Destination. Is 5/6 nights too much for Bologna? We might make a daytrip to
    > Florence (we've been before but this time we might really have a proper go at
    > the Uffizi!) but we could split our time between Bologna and somewhere like
    > Ferrara. Could Ferrara be a daytrip or would it be worth relocating from our
    > Bologna hotel.

July is better than August as more shops are open and there is less traffic and
crowds around. Both are terrible months in the Po plain, as heat, sun and humidity
may be rentless. Be sure your hotel has air conditioning; you will need it. Florence,
Ferrara and Parma are easy daytrips from Bologna so changing accomodation may be not
worth the hassle; they share with Bologna the terrible summer climate. I would urge
to go as early as possible in July, were not for the dates in arena di Verona (if I
remember, their opera season begins in late July).

I would consider 5/6 days as being a little too much in Bologna, but I sure you will
need to reduce your pace if the sun shines too much.

> 5) Opera tickets. The Verona Arena has a wide range of ticket prices. We'll be
    > quite happy with the cheaper seats if we can see, hear and be relatively
    > comfortable, but will we be furious with ourselves for not spending a little
    > more when we get there? And am I safe in assuming a casual dress code at least
    > in the cheaper seats?

I never attended Arena di Verona. My wife, who did a lot of time ago, says that you
should forget about being confortable, unless you stick to the expensive seats.

Sorry...

Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail: [email protected]
Home page: http://www.angelfire.com/ar/archivarius
(musicologia pratica)

Old Feb 18th 2002, 6:45 pm
Red Belly

Thanks Luca, I recall you had some helpful advice for our trip to Tuscany last year
too, it's much appreciated. Unfortunately we tend to be only able to get abroad in
July and August so we've learned to live with the heat and the sun in order to
indulge our Italian love affair. When you're Irish you have to stock up on as much
sun as possible whenever possible! We'll probably aim for 5 nights in Bologna and 3
in Verona in early July as a result of your advice. We can catch Aida as early as
July 7 and maybe a daytrip to Ferrara and/or Parma from Bologna. Thanks again.

rb

"Luca Logi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Red Belly <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I can get cheapish flights in and out of Bologna. I plan to spend 5/6
nights
    > > in Bologna and 2/3 nights in Verona in early July but I can be flexible
and
    > > go anytime in July or August. I'll be travelling with my wife, we're
    > > thirty-somethings, both into classical music (hence we want to take in
at
    > > least one evening of opera in Verona). We plan to stay in hotels (three stars or
    > > higher) and we like to stay in hotels that are within easy
walking
    > > distance of the historic center. We'll be travelling by train within
Italy
    > > which we haven't done before but I'm told its a pretty good service. We
    > > museums, architecture, galleries, shopping for things of local relevance
and
    > > good food (hence Bologna!) and I'm into football (soccer) but I know July/August
    > > is close season.
    > >
    > > So what advice am I looking for I hear you ask? Well:
    > > 1) timing, as I'm pretty fexible as to when I travel during July and
August
    > > are there any major events I should try to work into or out of my
schedule?
    > > 2) Destination. Is 5/6 nights too much for Bologna? We might make a
daytrip
    > > to Florence (we've been before but this time we might really have a
proper
    > > go at the Uffizi!) but we could split our time between Bologna and
somewhere
    > > like Ferrara. Could Ferrara be a daytrip or would it be worth relocating from our
    > > Bologna hotel.
    >
    > July is better than August as more shops are open and there is less traffic and
    > crowds around. Both are terrible months in the Po plain, as heat, sun and humidity
    > may be rentless. Be sure your hotel has air conditioning; you will need it.
    > Florence, Ferrara and Parma are easy daytrips from Bologna so changing accomodation
    > may be not worth the hassle; they share with Bologna the terrible summer climate. I
    > would urge to go as early as possible in July, were not for the dates in arena di
    > Verona (if I remember, their opera season begins in late July).
    >
    > I would consider 5/6 days as being a little too much in Bologna, but I sure you
    > will need to reduce your pace if the sun shines too much.
    >
    >
    >
    > > 5) Opera tickets. The Verona Arena has a wide range of ticket prices.
We'll
    > > be quite happy with the cheaper seats if we can see, hear and be
relatively
    > > comfortable, but will we be furious with ourselves for not spending a
little
    > > more when we get there? And am I safe in assuming a casual dress code at least in
    > > the cheaper seats?
    >
    >
    > I never attended Arena di Verona. My wife, who did a lot of time ago, says that you
    > should forget about being confortable, unless you stick to the expensive seats.
    >
    > Sorry...
    >

> Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail: [email protected]
    > Home page: http://www.angelfire.com/ar/archivarius
    > (musicologia pratica)

Old Feb 18th 2002, 7:25 pm
Gerald

> 1) timing, as I'm pretty fexible as to when I travel during July and August are
    > there any major events I should try to work into or out of my schedule?
    >2) Destination. Is 5/6 nights too much for Bologna?

I have not found much in Bologna for long stays. I am there 3 days every Feb. for a
trade show. I leave immediatly after the show.

I like the restaurant da Nello on Via Montegrappa

Old Feb 18th 2002, 8:05 pm
Poetic Justice

Red Belly wrote:
    >I've been looking at a hotel called Due Torri in Bologna and the Romeo e Giulietta
    >in Verona, they seem nice and would meet our "central" needs. Anyone been or have a
    >different recommendation?

(March '01) I thought the Romeo e Giulietta was a very nice 3* hotel and have no
complaints about it. Regards, Walter

..And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

Old Feb 18th 2002, 9:26 pm
Luca Logi

Red Belly <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thanks Luca, I recall you had some helpful advice for our trip to Tuscany last year
    > too, it's much appreciated. Unfortunately we tend to be only able to get abroad in
    > July and August so we've learned to live with the heat and the sun in order to
    > indulge our Italian love affair. When you're Irish you have to stock up on as much
    > sun as possible whenever possible! We'll probably aim for 5 nights in Bologna and 3
    > in Verona in early July as a result of your advice. We can catch Aida as early as
    > July 7 and maybe a daytrip to Ferrara and/or Parma from Bologna. Thanks again.

Our newsgroup friend Alan Harrison emailed me a request for advice about Arena di
Verona about a month ago. I quote the reply I sent him, warning that I never went to
Arena and my wife went a lot of time ago, so the info may be not reliable:

TESTTEST

Alan, I never went to Arena, so my two cents are really worth half a cent. According
to my wife, that went a lot of time ago and things may have changed, going to Arena
is more like going to a soccer match than to an opera house. Numbered places should
be much better, as they should be the platea places (confortable seats). Unnumbered
gradinate are quite unconfortable- you'll probably better bring a pillow with you and
avoid places that weren't in shadow during the afternoon (the sun, if the memory
still serves my wife, will shine probably on the left side of the arena, looking to
the stage, and the stone will be still hot by night time). Of course, in a gradinata
you have a place to sit down, but not a place to put your back.

You should decide if you prefer spending your money on a numbered seat or not, but I
am afraid you'll need a lot of opera passion to attend multiple performances on
unnumbered seats

Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail: [email protected]
Home page: http://www.angelfire.com/ar/archivarius
(musicologia pratica)

Old Feb 18th 2002, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

Helen Donegan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Red
I used to bring groups to the Arena a lot - there is great atmosphere in the cheaper seats - the problem is standing waiting for them to ope the gates and then it is everyman/woman for himself. The most important thing is for one person to go and get cushions while the other gets a place.
I think it depends on your age if it is worth it or now - now I would go for the numbered seats, I couldn't stnad the hassle any more.
For Verona itself look up;

http://www.italywithus.com/ezine/022002
A friend of mine has written a nice article on "his" city.
Old Feb 19th 2002, 12:06 am
Douglas W. Hoyt

> WOW! That was long! Sorry about that!

I've tried centering a couple Italy trips around Bologna because it's so perfectly
placed for daytrips (though I ultimately wound up staying elsewhere). I've heard
natives of Bologna wonder why people don't visit as much. I'm STILL thinking of
basing a trip in Bologna, but , I'll tell you, the city itself is not inviting--it
is not easygoing. It has some great central sites, but the arcaded walkways along
busy streets start to feel like claustrophobia-amid-hustle. It does not have one
of those centers where everyone converges, finds chairs, and lingers into the
evening. But, that said, it is an hour from Ferrara, which is an exceptionally
easygoing place, where everyone rides bicycles, and has some great sites without
the citified atmosphere. San Marino makes a daytrip from Bologna, as do the
beaches of Rimini, as do the mosaics of Ravenna, as does Florence (and even Siena
if you were willing to travel a couple hours each way). You can even do Venice for
a day without that much trouble. The train connections are so good that Bologna
presents itself as a nice hub--especially if you have a convenient three-star or
higher hotel. But I don't think it's a place that will ever really make you feel
like you are on a true vacation.

Old Feb 19th 2002, 5:49 pm
Red Belly

Thanks. We just might try it!

rb

"gerald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > 1) timing, as I'm pretty fexible as to when I travel during July and
August
    > >are there any major events I should try to work into or out of my
schedule?
    > >2) Destination. Is 5/6 nights too much for Bologna?
    >
    > I have not found much in Bologna for long stays. I am there 3 days every Feb. for a
    > trade show. I leave immediatly after the show.
    >
    > I like the restaurant da Nello on Via Montegrappa

Old Feb 19th 2002, 5:49 pm
Red Belly

Thanks. I'm going to book it!

rb

"Poetic Justice" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Red Belly wrote:
    > >I've been looking at a hotel called Due Torri in Bologna and the Romeo e Giulietta
    > >in Verona, they seem nice and would meet our "central" needs. Anyone been or have
    > >a different recommendation?
    >
    > (March '01) I thought the Romeo e Giulietta was a very nice 3* hotel and have no
    > complaints about it. Regards, Walter
    >
    >
    >
    > ..And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 19th 2002, 6:05 pm
Red Belly

Thanks for the tips! I've now revised my trip to 3 nights Bologna, 3 nights Ferrara
and 3 nights Verona!

At the rate my holiday plans are changing due to advice on this newsgroup, by the
time I actually set out in July I'll be going on a walking tour of Papua New Guinea!

rb

"Douglas W. Hoyt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > WOW! That was long! Sorry about that!
    >
    > I've tried centering a couple Italy trips around Bologna because it's so perfectly
    > placed for daytrips (though I ultimately wound up staying elsewhere). I've heard
    > natives of Bologna wonder why people don't visit
as
    > much. I'm STILL thinking of basing a trip in Bologna, but , I'll tell
you,
    > the city itself is not inviting--it is not easygoing. It has some great central
    > sites, but the arcaded walkways along busy streets start to feel like
    > claustrophobia-amid-hustle. It does not have one of those centers where everyone
    > converges, finds chairs, and lingers into the evening.
But,
    > that said, it is an hour from Ferrara, which is an exceptionally easygoing place,
    > where everyone rides bicycles, and has some great sites without the citified
    > atmosphere. San Marino makes a daytrip from Bologna, as do the beaches of Rimini,
    > as do the mosaics of Ravenna, as does Florence (and
even
    > Siena if you were willing to travel a couple hours each way). You can
even
    > do Venice for a day without that much trouble. The train connections are
so
    > good that Bologna presents itself as a nice hub--especially if you have a
    > convenient three-star or higher hotel. But I don't think it's a place
that
    > will ever really make you feel like you are on a true vacation.

Old Feb 19th 2002, 6:05 pm
Red Belly

If we're prepared to try the unnumbered seats will we need to book in advance? And do
tickets go for less on the day of a performance?

rb

"Helen Donegan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hi Red I used to bring groups to the Arena a lot - there is great atmosphere in the
    > cheaper seats - the problem is standing waiting for them to ope the gates and then
    > it is everyman/woman for himself. The most important thing is for one person to go
    > and get cushions while the other gets a place. I think it depends on your age if it
    > is worth it or now - now I would go for the numbered seats, I couldn't stnad the
    > hassle any more. For Verona itself look up;
    >
    > http://www.italywithus.com/ezine/022002 A friend of mine has written a nice article
    > on "his" city.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Helen Donegan, editor Italywithus.com - a free monthly eZine.
    > [email protected] www.italywithus.com
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com