Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.europe
Reload this Page >

Favourite village in England?

Favourite village in England?

Old May 23rd 2001, 5:35 pm
Melissa

Hi all, I was wondering if you could help me by telling me your favourite small-ish
village in England? I have always dreamed of staying in a cottage in a village for a
little while, somewhere with a pub and cottages and gossips! Think Christie's Miss
Marple or, more recently, the villages they often set the Midsomer Murder series in.
Would prefer mid to south England, not more than say 2 hours from London by train
(although a bit more or less is fine). What do you all think? Any quiet little places
you have stumbled upon?

Cheers, Mel

Old May 23rd 2001, 5:59 pm
decobabe

I like Streatley, but nowhere in England strikes me as being like Agatha Christie's
novels., which after all were written 70 years ago.

>
small-ish
    >
    >
    >
set
    >
more
    >
fine).
    >
    >
    >

Old May 23rd 2001, 7:08 pm
Melissa

>
    >

Where is Stretley? I realize, of course, that things have changed dramatically from
Miss Marple's time, but I am looking for something with that small-village feel about
it. Somewhere where you can walk to everything and everyone knows each other in the
pub. I got a feel of it in the outskirts of Winchester, I stayed for a few days and
the whole pub was hailing me by name after the first day. I think that is lovely, in
the short term anyway! I want to find somewhere that is not full of McDonalds and
Safeway, and the odd thatched roof would not go astray either. What can I say, I was
brought up on Enid Blyton!

Mel

[usenetquote2]> > Hi all, I was wondering if you could help me by telling me your favourite[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > village in England? I have always dreamed of staying in a cottage in a village[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for a little while, somewhere with a pub and cottages and[/usenetquote2]
gossips!
[usenetquote2]> > Think Christie's Miss Marple or, more recently, the villages they often[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > the Midsomer Murder series in. Would prefer mid to south England, not[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > than say 2 hours from London by train (although a bit more or less is[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > What do you all think? Any quiet little places you have stumbled upon?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Cheers, Mel[/usenetquote2]

Old May 23rd 2001, 7:10 pm
Nightjar

>
small-ish
    >
    >
    >
set
    >
more
    >
fine).
    >

Most of the quiet villages within easy reach (which includes 2 hours by train) of
London are quiet because the inhabitants have commuted in to work in the City.

Colin Bignell

Old May 23rd 2001, 7:15 pm
Melissa

[usenetquote2]> > Hi all, I was wondering if you could help me by telling me your favourite[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > village in England? I have always dreamed of staying in a cottage in a village[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for a little while, somewhere with a pub and cottages and[/usenetquote2]
gossips!
[usenetquote2]> > Think Christie's Miss Marple or, more recently, the villages they often[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > the Midsomer Murder series in. Would prefer mid to south England, not[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > than say 2 hours from London by train (although a bit more or less is[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > What do you all think? Any quiet little places you have stumbled upon?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
work
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Further out is fine too, I just don't want to go out of reach, because I have a
number of friends in London. Would it be better to look say 4 hours out, to avoid the
London bedroom communities?

Mel

Old May 23rd 2001, 7:56 pm
Jackie Hewitt

Melissa wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Just resubscribed to this NG after a couple of year absence. If you want to be within
reach of London then somewhere in the Cotswolds might be worth thinking about. There
is a "Cotswold Line" (rail) and trains on that in the direction of Worcester/Malvern
leave from Paddington. Somewhere like Moreton in Marsh (which is really more small
town than village) or Charlbury which is a mainly stone built village.

--
Jackie Hewitt UKSC's miniature Worcestershire Supporter. Courtney Walsh web site at:-
http://sites.netscape.net/jackieahewitt/homepage

Old May 23rd 2001, 10:49 pm
Melissa

>
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Further out is fine too, I just don't want to go out of reach, because I have a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > number of friends in London. Would it be better to look say 4[/usenetquote2]
hours
[usenetquote2]> > out, to avoid the London bedroom communities?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Mel[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
to be
    >
thinking
    >
direction of
    >
(which
    >
stone
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hi Jackie, I was considering the Cotswolds, but I was afraid of too many
tourists. I visited the Cotswolds last year and even in winter the days were
filled with tourists. Can you perhaps suggest a town in the area that is small,
cute and not overrun?

Cheers, Mel

Old May 23rd 2001, 11:37 pm
Louise Smith

Try Cranbrook or Biddenden in Kent or thereabouts. Also Bibury in the Cotswolds or
maybe Woodstock. Sounds like fun! Good luck. Louise

>
small-ish
    >
    >
    >
set
    >
more
    >
fine).
    >
    >
    >

Old May 24th 2001, 12:37 am
Jackie Hewitt

Melissa wrote:Hi Jackie,

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Unfortunately all the well known ones are! Moreton in Marsh isn't too bad, as it
isn't as touristy as somewhere like Broadway. Burford is lovely- not near a rail
station but I think there are buses from Oxford. But it does get very crowded.
Charlbury, which is on the rail line, is not on the tourist map as much, that would
be a village to go and have a wander in. There is also Woodstock, which
surprisingly can be reasonably quiet unless you go into Blenheim Palace, which can
be heaving in summer.

Hope that helps a bit

--
Jackie Hewitt UKSC's miniature Worcestershire Supporter. Courtney Walsh web site at:-
http://sites.netscape.net/jackieahewitt/homepage

Old May 24th 2001, 12:50 am
Rita Daggett

Louise Smith wrote:

>
    >

I dont think you'd get much in the way of village gossip if you stayed in a place
which is really touristy. The pub will be full of Americans rather than locals. You
probably need to find a rather unattractive looking village, and stay for several

--
Rita Daggett

Old May 24th 2001, 1:09 am
Melissa

>
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Try Cranbrook or Biddenden in Kent or thereabouts. Also Bibury in the Cotswolds[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > or maybe Woodstock.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
a
    >
than
    >
and
    >
    >
    >
    >

I thought the same thing. I lived in London for a while and tried to stay away from
the touristy areas as much as possible, because I would rather try to meet locals and
experience life rather than share tourist stories with other tourists-I can do that
here! However, I was hoping for a balance of cute village and not very touristy,
where I can perhaps spend a month or two. Obvioulsy anything with a minuature railway
and ye olde Englishe anything is out, but how does one find the perfect village
without spending years searching? Sigh.

Thanks to all responses, Mel
    >
    >
    >

Old May 24th 2001, 1:11 am
Melissa

>
    >

Thanks, must spend some time researching the Cotswolds more, when I was there it was
on a tight schedule and I had to be somewhere else, so I only had a fleeting visit.
Will also check out the places in Kent. Cheers, Mel

>
gossips!
    >
    >
    >

Old May 24th 2001, 1:12 am
Melissa

>
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I was considering the Cotswolds, but I was afraid of too many tourists.[/usenetquote2]
I
[usenetquote2]> > visited the Cotswolds last year and even in winter the days were filled[/usenetquote2]
with
[usenetquote2]> > tourists. Can you perhaps suggest a town in the area that is small,[/usenetquote2]
cute
[usenetquote2]> > and not overrun?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
as it
    >
a rail
    >
crowded.
    >
that
    >
which
    >
which
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
Thanks for all your advice, Jackie, will certainly check these places out.
Cheers, Mel

Old May 24th 2001, 1:17 am
Chris Cooke

>
    >

Yes, it is difficult. Villages near a city will generally be full of commuters.
Villages in or near a national park will often be full of holiday homes (i.e. dead
and soulless). Villages elsewhere, if you can find them, may either be very cute, or
may just as well be sunk in appalling poverty and unemployment.
--
-- Chris.

Old May 24th 2001, 6:57 am
mawdsley

Chipping Campden is nice but accessible mainly by car.

Barbara in CT

Chris Cooke wrote:

>
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Obvioulsy anything with a minuature railway and ye olde Englishe anything is out,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > but how does one find the perfect village without spending years searching? Sigh.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.