Europe By Road!

Old May 31st 2002, 3:20 am
Whome

Default Europe By Road!

My wife and I have recently started planning a two-month "budget" self-drive road
trip across 14 East and West European countries.

Could you please direct me to quality resources on the net or elsewhere (books --
Rick Stevens?). Specifically, I am hunting for practical information including:
details of camp sites (ideally with prices, et al), cost advantage of purchasing a
second-hand van vs. renting one; second-hand 4X4 rental agencies, best country to
start in terms of car hiring costs, etc.

List of countries planned: Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Czech Republic,
Austria, Italy, Switzerland, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, England,
14. Scotland

Thanks.

SD

Old May 31st 2002, 3:20 am
Rick Jacobs

Default Re: Europe By Road!

WhoMe wrote:
    > My wife and I have recently started planning a two-month "budget" self-drive road
    > trip across 14 East and West European countries.
    >
    > Could you please direct me to quality resources on the net or elsewhere (books --
    > Rick Stevens?). Specifically, I am hunting for practical information including:
    > details of camp sites (ideally with prices, et al), cost advantage of purchasing a
    > second-hand van vs. renting one; second-hand 4X4 rental agencies, best country to
    > start in terms of car hiring costs, etc.
    >
    > List of countries planned: Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Czech Republic,
    > Austria, Italy, Switzerland, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, England, 14.
    > Scotland
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > SD

If I was taking this trip I would bring a laptop with a copy of MS "Autoroute
Express." and maybe other route planning programs. Autoroute is the European
equivalent of mapping and routing software such as "Streets and Trips" the US trip
planning software. It's not sold in the US directly, although I think you can get it
by mail from England. Obviously, you could wait until you got there to purchase it.

Old May 31st 2002, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

mpprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant future

Hi

Here is an online route planner -

http://www.shellgeostar.com/share/

Buy the Michelin Euro camping guide when you arrive, or try Amazon (maybe worth searching UK site ?).

Ask questions about RV's etc on -

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/euca/

Thats it ! All sorted !

Peter
Old May 31st 2002, 9:20 am
Vince

"WhoMe" <[email protected]> wrote >

(snipped) cost advantage of purchasing a second-hand van vs. renting one; second-hand

What kind of van? There`s a place in Earl`s Court in London where homegoing Aussies
sell their VW vans to newcomers. It`s a bit like a market, it happens one day a week,
they all turn up somewhere and trade. That`s apparently cheap.

In the UK, it`s possible to buy a good roadworthy car for a few hundred pounds, and
that`s cheaper than renting for a fortnight.

> List of countries planned: Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Czech Republic,
    > Austria, Italy, Switzerland, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, England, 14.
    > Scotland

I`ve driven in every one of those countries. If there`s anything specific you want to
know, just ask. Sounds like a brilliant trip though, just go for it and don`t let
anyone put you off.

--
Regards, Vince Truck Driving In Russia- www.coventon.co.uk

Old May 31st 2002, 3:20 pm
Neil Tupper

"vince" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    >
    >
    > "WhoMe" <[email protected]> wrote >
    >
    > (snipped) cost advantage of purchasing a second-hand van vs. renting one;
    > second-hand
    >
    >
    > What kind of van? There`s a place in Earl`s Court in London where
homegoing
    > Aussies sell their VW vans to newcomers. It`s a bit like a market, it happens one
    > day a week, they all turn up somewhere and trade. That`s apparently cheap.
    >
    > In the UK, it`s possible to buy a good roadworthy car for a few hundred pounds, and
    > that`s cheaper than renting for a fortnight.
    >
    >

" "A few hundred pounds" for a fortnight? On top of which you need to register
and insure the vehicle? Cheaper than renting? I doubt it.

Neil

Old May 31st 2002, 9:20 pm
I. Wilson Gittl

Best is Michelin's "CAMPING'" But there are others.

The palest ink is better than the best memory. --Chinese proverb There is no end to
collecting books. --Book of Ecclesiastes To three possessions shalt thou look:
Acquire a field, a friend, a book. --Samuel haNagid, Vizier to the King of Granada