Euro questions

Old Aug 18th 2002, 1:38 pm
Charles Levy

Default Euro questions

I have two questions for the cognoscenti: While on holiday in the UK, my wife and I
will be taking a 5 day side trip to Rome. We have to pay for our B&B in cash (Euros)
on arrival.
1) Is it advisable to take such large amounts of cash (i.e. 1000 euros), or can one
buy Euro travel cheques easly in London if one is not a UK resident?
2) Is there any problem accessing ATMs for Euros using North American based credit
cards? Sorry if the questions seem simple, but the information will be most
helpful. TIA

Old Aug 18th 2002, 2:22 pm
Www.Vphthac.Org.Uk

Default Re: Euro questions

Not sure what you mean by "North American based cards?"

I used my Mastercard and Visa card in Spain to get Euros and there was no problem.

Regarding buying travellers cheques in London, there will be no problem there. Buy
them from the Post Office and there is no fee.

Hope this helps

Paul

> I have two questions for the cognoscenti: While on holiday in the UK, my wife and I
    > will be taking a 5 day side trip to Rome. We have to pay for our B&B in cash
    > (Euros) on arrival.
    > 1) Is it advisable to take such large amounts of cash (i.e. 1000 euros), or can one
    > buy Euro travel cheques easly in London if one is not a UK resident?
    > 2) Is there any problem accessing ATMs for Euros using North American based credit
    > cards? Sorry if the questions seem simple, but the information will be most
    > helpful. TIA

Old Aug 18th 2002, 2:44 pm
The Oik

"Charles Levy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have two questions for the cognoscenti: While on holiday in the UK, my wife and I
    > (Euros) on arrival.
    > 1) Is it advisable to take such large amounts of cash (i.e. 1000 euros), or can one
    > 2) Is there any problem accessing ATMs for Euros using North American based credit
    > helpful. TIA
EUR1000 is only two 500 notes if you get it from a bank, but it'll be two or three
trips to get it from ATMs (subject to both your limit / day and the machines limit
per transaction). But seems an awful lot of cash for 5 days B&B....

Old Aug 18th 2002, 2:55 pm
Megan

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 15:44:16 +0100, "The Oik" <[email protected]>
wrote: but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!

>EUR1000 is only two 500 notes if you get it from a bank, but it'll be two or three
    >trips to get it from ATMs (subject to both your limit / day and the machines limit
    >per transaction). But seems an awful lot of cash for 5 days B&B....

Particularly at the sort of place that takes advance payment in cash only! I'd
expect several stars and credit card acceptance for that price.

Megan
--
Megan Farr Montgomery

Lille kat, lille kat, lille kat på vejen Hvis er du, Hvis er du Jeg er
sgu' min egen
- Piet Hein

Old Aug 18th 2002, 3:19 pm
Wolfgang Schwanke

[email protected] (Charles Levy) wrote in news:[email protected]:

I think neither is really advisable. Cash is always a bad idea because oft theft or
loss risk. And traveller cheques are a thing of the past. You can still buy them and
cash them at banks, but usually the fee for that is quite high, and it's a hassle
anyway. In general, you cannot use traveller cheques to buy things in stores like you
can in North America, you always have to convert them at a bank first.

> cards?

Not if it's a mainstream card.

Regards

--
Wir wolln unsern alten Kaiser Wilhelm wiederham!

Old Aug 18th 2002, 3:30 pm
Paul Dwerryhouse

"The Oik" <[email protected]> writes:

>EUR1000 is only two 500 notes if you get it from a bank, but it'll be two or three
    >trips to get it from ATMs (subject to both your limit / day and the machines limit
    >per transaction). But seems an awful lot of cash for 5 days B&B....

No-one's going to accept a 500 Euro note, either.

--
Paul Dwerryhouse

"Why not just have the arresting officer execute you on the spot? If you turn out to
be innocent, they can cancel the invoice for the bullet." -- sharkey

Old Aug 18th 2002, 4:38 pm
Barbara Vaughan

The Oik wrote:
    > "Charles Levy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I have two questions for the cognoscenti: While on holiday in the UK, my wife and
    > > I will be taking a 5 day side trip to Rome. We have to pay for our B&B in cash
    > > (Euros) on arrival.
    > > 1) Is it advisable to take such large amounts of cash (i.e. 1000 euros), or can
    > > one buy Euro travel cheques easly in London if one is not a UK resident?
    > > 2) Is there any problem accessing ATMs for Euros using North American based
    > > credit cards? Sorry if the questions seem simple, but the information will be
    > > most helpful. TIA
    > >
    > EUR1000 is only two 500 notes if you get it from a bank, but it'll be two or three
    > trips to get it from ATMs (subject to both your limit / day and the machines limit
    > per transaction). But seems an awful lot of cash for 5 days B&B....

1000 Euros will mean four trips to the bancomat in Italy, and either it will be on
four different days or with four different cards.

I agree that 200 euro a day is a high price for a B&B; for this kind of money I would
expect to be able to use a credit card and not to have to pay in advance. I have a
feeling that this is an "off-the-records" B&B, which would explain the cash-only
policy but would also lead me to think that it has never had any sort of safety
inspection.

Barbara

Old Aug 18th 2002, 5:13 pm
J Coulter

[email protected] (Charles Levy) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> (Euros) on arrival.
    > helpful. TIA

I assume you are from Norht America and therefor oint out that getting the TC's in
the UK will involve the same problems that getting the money from atm's (or the bank)
in Italy will so why not wait till you get to Rome? Your bank debit card is the best
way to get the money (be sure you know your daily limit and if it is too low get an
adjustment from your bank before you leave)

Old Aug 18th 2002, 5:58 pm
The Oik

"Barbara Vaughan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > 1000 Euros will mean four trips to the bancomat in Italy, and either it will be on
    > four different days or with four different cards.
    > I agree that 200 euro a day is a high price for a B&B; for this kind of money I
    > would expect to be able to use a credit card and not to have to pay in advance. I
    > have a feeling that this is an "off-the-records" B&B, which would explain the
    > cash-only policy but would also lead me to think that it has never had any sort of
    > safety inspection.
Really? I question this because some of my cards have a GBP500 / day limit, but most
UK machines have a GBP250 / transaction limit, BUT I can use the same card, twice, at
the 'same' time, to get GBP500. Is this not the same / similar in Italy??

Old Aug 18th 2002, 5:59 pm
The Oik

"Paul Dwerryhouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
u
    > "The Oik" <[email protected]> writes:
    > >EUR1000 is only two 500 notes if you get it from a bank, but it'll be two
or
    > >three trips to get it from ATMs (subject to both your limit / day and the machines
    > >limit per transaction). But seems an awful lot of cash for 5
days
    > >B&B....
    > No-one's going to accept a 500 Euro note, either.
normally, I'd agree, but if someone wanted 1000, in advance, from me, they'd just
have to live with it

Old Aug 18th 2002, 7:14 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Charles Levy:
I have two questions for the cognoscenti: While on holiday in the UK, my wife and I
will be taking a 5 day side trip to Rome. We have to pay for our B&B in cash (Euros)
on arrival.
1) Is it advisable to take such large amounts of cash (i.e. 1000 euros), or can one
buy Euro travel cheques easly in London if one is not a UK resident?
2) Is there any problem accessing ATMs for Euros using North American based credit
cards? Sorry if the questions seem simple, but the information will be most
helpful. TIA
Charles, If you are American it's a very good idea to carry around EUR1000 or more in your pocket.

You thick twat.
Old Aug 18th 2002, 7:44 pm
Barbara Vaughan

The Oik wrote:
    > "Barbara Vaughan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >
    > > 1000 Euros will mean four trips to the bancomat in Italy, and either it will be
    > > on four different days or with four different cards.
    > >
    > > I agree that 200 euro a day is a high price for a B&B; for this kind of money I
    > > would expect to be able to use a credit card and not to have to pay in advance. I
    > > have a feeling that this is an "off-the-records" B&B, which would explain the
    > > cash-only policy but would also lead me to think that it has never had any sort
    > > of safety inspection.
    > >
    > Really? I question this because some of my cards have a GBP500 / day limit, but
    > most UK machines have a GBP250 / transaction limit, BUT I can use the same card,
    > twice, at the 'same' time, to get GBP500. Is this not the same / similar in Italy??

I can only get 250 euro daily with my card. Maybe that's a limit imposed by my bank,
which I could get raised. I haven't enquired.

Barbara

Old Aug 18th 2002, 8:29 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Barbara Vaughan:
The Oik wrote:
    > "Barbara Vaughan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >
    > > 1000 Euros will mean four trips to the bancomat in Italy, and either it will be
    > > on four different days or with four different cards.
    > >
    > > I agree that 200 euro a day is a high price for a B&B; for this kind of money I
    > > would expect to be able to use a credit card and not to have to pay in advance. I
    > > have a feeling that this is an "off-the-records" B&B, which would explain the
    > > cash-only policy but would also lead me to think that it has never had any sort
    > > of safety inspection.
    > >
    > Really? I question this because some of my cards have a GBP500 / day limit, but
    > most UK machines have a GBP250 / transaction limit, BUT I can use the same card,
    > twice, at the 'same' time, to get GBP500. Is this not the same / similar in Italy??

I can only get 250 euro daily with my card. Maybe that's a limit imposed by my bank,
which I could get raised. I haven't enquired.

Barbara
Maybe. Maybe not.
Old Aug 18th 2002, 8:56 pm
Kathie

Barbara Vaughan wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >>> >
    >> > I agree that 200 euro a day is a high price for a B&B; for this kind of money I
    >> > would expect to be able to use a credit card and not to have to pay in advance.
    >> > I have a feeling that this is an "off-the-records" B&B, which would explain the
    >> > cash-only policy but would also lead me to
think
    >> > that it has never had any sort of safety inspection.
    >> >

I've found that doesn't seem uncommon for independently-owned apartments & B&Bs in
Rome to take cash only, even if they're bookable online via sites like Venere.com - I
don't think it necessarily means they're "off the record", just that they don't trust
cheques from people passing through and aren't willing to cough up the commission to
credit card companies. That's partly why they're cheaper I suppose.

I would assume the 200 per day is to cover all costs - it would be outrageous for a
B&B. I'm faced with the same dilemma as we have to pay about 700 up front for our
apartment as soon as we arrive - we'll probably get cash here in the UK and carry
half each in money belts.

--
kathie

Old Aug 18th 2002, 9:25 pm
The Oik

"kathie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
t
    > I've found that doesn't seem uncommon for independently-owned apartments & B&Bs in
    > Rome to take cash only, even if they're bookable online via sites like Venere.com -
    > I don't think it necessarily means they're "off the record", just that they don't
    > trust cheques from people passing through
and
    > aren't willing to cough up the commission to credit card companies.
That's
    > partly why they're cheaper I suppose.
    > I would assume the 200 per day is to cover all costs - it would be outrageous for a
    > B&B. I'm faced with the same dilemma as we have to pay about 700 up front for our
    > apartment as soon as we arrive - we'll probably get cash here in the UK and carry
    > half each in money belts.
(the following assumes a shared language, but..) why not just explain that you will
get it from an ATM when you get there, and if the (or 'a') network is down, the guy
will either a: have to wait, or b: point you to a different flavour of ATM? If people
want cash, then they have to understand that some hassle goes with that, dont they??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.