Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.europe
Reload this Page >

Credit card coverage of car rental insurance in Italy

Credit card coverage of car rental insurance in Italy

Old Mar 26th 2002, 12:05 pm
Allan Jeong

Default Credit card coverage of car rental insurance in Italy

I'm renting a car in Italy this May and am wondering if it is possible to save money
by using a U.S. credit card that covers the required collision damage waiver (CDW)
and/or theft insurance.

1) Anyone know of any U.S. credit cards (no annual fees) that will collision in
Italy? My understanding is that most credit cards do not.

2) Which car rental companies in Italy will allow me to waive the costs of collision
if I am covered by my credit card?

3) How much does collision insurance typically add to the cost of car rental in
Italy?

Allan jeong @ coe.fsu.edu

Old Mar 26th 2002, 12:36 pm
Gerald

Default Re: Credit card coverage of car rental insurance in Italy

I have not found a card that covers any of the insurances in Italy. The insurances
and taxes amount to close to half the total cost.

You must also pay most of these fees if you pick the car up outside of Italy, and
plan to drive in Italy.

Autoeurope quotes a total price for a weekly rental. Budget, last time I looked,
quoted only the car rental portion.

You can save 10% by not picking the car up at an airport.

On 26 Mar 2002 04:42:54 -0800, [email protected] (Allan Jeong) wrote:

>I'm renting a car in Italy this May and am wondering if it is possible to save money
    >by using a U.S. credit card that covers the required collision damage waiver (CDW)
    >and/or theft insurance.
    >
    >1) Anyone know of any U.S. credit cards (no annual fees) that will collision in
    > Italy? My understanding is that most credit cards do not.
    >
    >2) Which car rental companies in Italy will allow me to waive the costs of collision
    > if I am covered by my credit card?
    >
    >3) How much does collision insurance typically add to the cost of car rental in
    > Italy?
    >
    >
    >Allan jeong @ coe.fsu.edu

Old Mar 27th 2002, 4:50 am
Steve Juniper

My Visa card provides good insurance converage, detailed at their web site:
http:///usa.visa.com/personal/cards/...num_terms.html (I printed it (6 pages
of small print) to have a hard copy available.)

-- S Steve Juniper ([email protected])

"Twenty percent of the people of the world benefit from globalization. The other
eighty percent suffer from it."
--
Sebastiao Salgado --

"gerald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I have not found a card that covers any of the insurances in Italy. The insurances
    > and taxes amount to close to half the total cost.
    >
    > You must also pay most of these fees if you pick the car up outside of Italy, and
    > plan to drive in Italy.
    >
    > Autoeurope quotes a total price for a weekly rental. Budget, last time I looked,
    > quoted only the car rental portion.
    >
    > You can save 10% by not picking the car up at an airport.
    >
    >
    > On 26 Mar 2002 04:42:54 -0800, [email protected] (Allan Jeong) wrote:
    >
    > >I'm renting a car in Italy this May and am wondering if it is possible to save
    > >money by using a U.S. credit card that covers the required collision damage waiver
    > >(CDW) and/or theft insurance.
    > >
    > >1) Anyone know of any U.S. credit cards (no annual fees) that will collision in
    > > Italy? My understanding is that most credit cards do not.
    > >
    > >2) Which car rental companies in Italy will allow me to waive the costs of
    > > collision if I am covered by my credit card?
    > >
    > >3) How much does collision insurance typically add to the cost of car rental in
    > > Italy?
    > >
    > >
    > >Allan jeong @ coe.fsu.edu

Old Mar 27th 2002, 10:05 am
Ted B.

Thanks for reminding me, I just did that as well.

Ted B.

"Steve Juniper" <[email protected]> wrote in message

My Visa card provides good insurance converage, detailed at their web site:
    > http:///usa.visa.com/personal/cards/...num_terms.html (I printed it (6 pages
    > of small print) to have a hard copy available.)

Old Mar 27th 2002, 3:35 pm
Nhampton

[email protected] (Allan Jeong) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > I'm renting a car in Italy this May and am wondering if it is possible to save
    > money by using a U.S. credit card that covers the required collision damage waiver
    > (CDW) and/or theft insurance.
    >
    > 1) Anyone know of any U.S. credit cards (no annual fees) that will collision in
    >
    > 2) Which car rental companies in Italy will allow me to waive the costs of
    > collision if I am covered by my credit card?
    >
    > 3) How much does collision insurance typically add to the cost of car rental in
    > Italy?
    >
Some other poster say their credit cards cover for insurance but it is not the card
that determines it's use in Italy nor is it the rental company. It is the law in
Italy (and Ireland too) that you cannot waive CDW with your card. So there is no way
around it if you rent there. You must purchase it from the rental company. Also in
Italy it is manditory to purchase theft insurance. SO that said these insurances add
a tremendous amount to the rental, nearly half again over the rental amount.

Also someone said you have to pay the fees if you rent outside of Italy and that is
not so. If you rent in France or Germany you do not have to purchase the insurances.
So if you want to save a lot of money on the rental rent somewhere else. I generally
fly into Nice or Munich and rent there when traveling to Italy in a Rental

Nancy

Old Mar 27th 2002, 9:35 pm
Marc

My Visa Gold Card through the San Francisco Federal Credit Union does. I suggeest you
check on a Credit Union in your area.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." Samuel Johnson

Marc "Allan Jeong" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I'm renting a car in Italy this May and am wondering if it is possible to save
    > money by using a U.S. credit card that covers the required collision damage waiver
    >
    > 1) Anyone know of any U.S. credit cards (no annual fees) that will collision in
    >
    >
    > 3) How much does collision insurance typically add to the cost of car rental in
    > Italy?
    >
    >
    > Allan jeong @ coe.fsu.edu

Old Mar 28th 2002, 12:35 pm
Gerald

>>
    >Some other poster say their credit cards cover for insurance but it is not the card
    >that determines it's use in Italy nor is it the rental company. It is the law in
    >Italy (and Ireland too) that you cannot waive CDW with your card. So there is no way
    >around it if you rent there. You must purchase it from the rental company. Also in
    >Italy it is manditory to purchase theft insurance. SO that said these insurances add
    >a tremendous amount to the rental, nearly half again over the rental amount.

So, Manditory does mean Manditory.
    >
    >Also someone said you have to pay the fees if you rent outside of Italy and that is
    >not so. If you rent in France or Germany you do not have to purchase the insurances.
    >So if you want to save a lot of money on the rental rent somewhere else. I generally
    >fly into Nice or Munich and rent there when traveling to Italy in a Rental
    >
I think if one drives a rental car in Italy, one is required to have the Manditory
insurance. If one rents in FR or Germany, one does not have to purchase the manditory
Italian insurance, but if one drives and has an occurance in Italy, I think one must
provide proof of having the manditory insurance.

Old Mar 28th 2002, 3:06 pm
Devil

gerald wrote:
    >
    > >>
    > >Some other poster say their credit cards cover for insurance but it is not the
    > >card that determines it's use in Italy nor is it the rental company. It is the law
    > >in Italy (and Ireland too) that you cannot waive CDW with your card. So there is
    > >no way around it if you rent there. You must purchase it from the rental company.
    > >Also in Italy it is manditory to purchase theft insurance. SO that said these
    > >insurances add a tremendous amount to the rental, nearly half again over the
    > >rental amount.
    >
    > So, Manditory does mean Manditory.

My Hertz Gold contract only mentions Theft Protection as mandatory in Italy, not CDW.
This said, the one time I dealt with Hertz in Italy (six years back), I had a prepaid
rental thru DER and the local agency did force me to pay for CDW.

I have some booking in Italy for which rental with CDW happened to yield the lower
price. This said, I just went through the Hertz web reservation page, and they will
rent me *with TP* but *NO CDW* (CDW listed in the optional items.)

> >Also someone said you have to pay the fees if you rent outside of Italy and that
    > >is not so. If you rent in France or Germany you do not have to purchase the
    > >insurances. So if you want to save a lot of money on the rental rent somewhere
    > >else. I generally fly into Nice or Munich and rent there when traveling to Italy
    > >in a Rental
    > >
    > I think if one drives a rental car in Italy, one is required to have the Manditory
    > insurance. If one rents in FR or Germany, one does not have to purchase the
    > manditory Italian insurance, but if one drives and has an occurance in Italy, I
    > think one must provide proof of having the manditory insurance.

I wonder on what basis that could be.

What is true however is that most rental companies won't allow you to take their
better cars from Germany into Italy. In France they don't rent you nicer cars so the
problem does not exist .

Old Mar 28th 2002, 6:35 pm
Kobi

[email protected] (Allan Jeong) wrote in message
    >
    >
    >
    > Italy?
    >
    >
    > Allan jeong @ coe.fsu.edu

I faced the same problem (also travel to Italy in May). My credit card won't provide
coverage in Italy. However, I found that through Italiatour (the tour company of
Alitalia - www.italiatourusa.com) i can get a C class rental car for $35 a day all
taxes and insurance included (Avis cars). if you try to book directly with any rental
company you'll have to pay this amount just for the rental before any taxes and
insurance. It solved the problem because i got a complete package for a very
reasonable price. From what I read, if I plan to drive in Italy, I better be covered
as much as posible.

Kobi

Old Mar 28th 2002, 8:35 pm
Larry J. Myers

The Capital One Platinum MasterCard (no annual fee)provides collision damage waiver
(only covers the rental car, nothing else) throughout the world. The CDW provided by
any credit card company is always the secondary coverage; meaning that your personal
insurance company is the primary. In the USA this makes the credit card coverage
worthless since your own insurance company will have to pay but outside of the USA my
insurance company and I believe all US insurance companies do not cover you thus
making the credit card insurance the primary carrier. When I've rented cars in Italy
I was told I would have to pay for all damages and would have to go to the credit
card company for reimbursement. You can charge the damages to your credit card to the
extent of your credit limit. All things considered I'll buy the insurance from the
car rental company. "Kobi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > [email protected] (Allan Jeong) wrote in message
    > > I'm renting a car in Italy this May and am wondering if it is possible to save
    > > money by using a U.S. credit card that covers the required collision damage
    > > waiver (CDW) and/or theft insurance.
    > >
    > > 1) Anyone know of any U.S. credit cards (no annual fees) that will collision in
    > > Italy? My understanding is that most credit cards do not.
    > >
    > > 2) Which car rental companies in Italy will allow me to waive the costs of
    > > collision if I am covered by my credit card?
    > >
    > > 3) How much does collision insurance typically add to the cost of car rental in
    > > Italy?
    > >
    > >
    > > Allan jeong @ coe.fsu.edu
    >
    > I faced the same problem (also travel to Italy in May). My credit card won't
    > provide coverage in Italy. However, I found that through Italiatour (the tour
    > company of Alitalia - www.italiatourusa.com) i can get a C class rental car for $35
    > a day all taxes and insurance included (Avis cars). if you try to book directly
    > with any rental company you'll have to pay this amount just for the rental before
    > any taxes and insurance. It solved the problem because i got a complete package for
    > a very reasonable price. From what I read, if I plan to drive in Italy, I better be
    > covered as much as posible.
    >
    > Kobi

Old Mar 28th 2002, 10:05 pm
The Oik

"Larry J. Myers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > The Capital One Platinum MasterCard (no annual fee)provides collision
damage
    > waiver (only covers the rental car, nothing else) throughout the world.
The
    > CDW provided by any credit card company is always the secondary coverage; meaning
    > that your personal insurance company is the primary. In the USA this makes the
    > credit card coverage worthless since your own insurance company will have to pay
    > but outside of the USA my insurance company and I believe all US insurance
    > companies do not cover you thus making the credit card insurance the primary
    > carrier. When I've rented cars in Italy I was told I would have to pay for all
    > damages and would have to go to the
credit
    > card company for reimbursement. You can charge the damages to your credit card to
    > the extent of your credit limit. All things considered I'll buy
the
    > insurance from the car rental company.

not on a UK Capital One PM its doesn't - I asked them last night (thinking I'd found
a way to save money!). I was going to check my MBNA card as well, but realised that
the exchange it gives (30% less than anyone else) would make it pointlessly
expensive anyway.

Old Mar 28th 2002, 11:36 pm
Ntaylor

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:51:40 -0500, "Larry J. Myers" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The Capital One Platinum MasterCard (no annual fee)provides collision damage waiver
    >(only covers the rental car, nothing else) throughout the world. The CDW provided by
    >any credit card company is always the secondary coverage; meaning that your personal
    >insurance company is the primary. In the USA this makes the credit card coverage
    >worthless since your own insurance company will have to pay but outside of the USA
    >my insurance company and I believe all US insurance companies do not cover you thus
    >making the credit card insurance the primary carrier. When I've rented cars in Italy
    >I was told I would have to pay for all damages and would have to go to the credit
    >card company for reimbursement. You can charge the damages to your credit card to
    >the extent of your credit limit. All things considered I'll buy the insurance from
    >the car rental company.

NT>>The wisest decision. Credit car insurance is worthless overseas.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating, when you come to make the claim for an
overseas accident they will deny you. Considering the high cost of even minor damage
repairs these days get the maximun coverage you can.

Old Mar 29th 2002, 12:05 am
Rich Gibson

Agree. In this case trying to be thrify is "penny wise pound foolish." I know it
seems absurd, maybe even not fair. However, that's the way it is. You've spent
thousands on a trip which you've planned all year, made all sorts of arrangements
both at home and on the journey and then you try to squeeze a few hundred bucks out
of it. Sounds reasonable, but the risk is very high, relativly speaking, if you have
an automobile accident. Without the coverage you face paying thousands and a very
long, very distressful time trying to get any of it back from the insurance
companies, or credit card companies. Some vacation!

After all that money and planning. Then to have an accident. That would be bad enough
but then to have to shell out as much as $3000 U.S. just to be able to get back on a
plane to get back home. Just to save a few hundred bucks. For me, there's no question
but to go with the low risk solution.

Rich "ntaylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:51:40 -0500, "Larry J. Myers" <[email protected]>
wrote:
    >
    > >The Capital One Platinum MasterCard (no annual fee)provides collision
damage
    > >waiver (only covers the rental car, nothing else) throughout the world.
The
    > >CDW provided by any credit card company is always the secondary coverage; meaning
    > >that your personal insurance company is the primary. In the USA this makes the
    > >credit card coverage worthless since your own insurance company will have to pay
    > >but outside of the USA my insurance company and
I
    > >believe all US insurance companies do not cover you thus making the
credit
    > >card insurance the primary carrier. When I've rented cars in Italy I was told I
    > >would have to pay for all damages and would have to go to the
credit
    > >card company for reimbursement. You can charge the damages to your
credit
    > >card to the extent of your credit limit. All things considered I'll buy
the
    > >insurance from the car rental company.
    >
    >
    > NT>>The wisest decision. Credit car insurance is worthless overseas.
    > The proof of the pudding is in the eating, when you come to make the claim for an
    > overseas accident they will deny you. Considering the high cost of even minor
    > damage repairs these days get the maximun
coverage you can.

Old Mar 29th 2002, 9:27 am
Devil

Rich Gibson wrote:
    >
    > Agree. In this case trying to be thrify is "penny wise pound foolish." I know it
    > seems absurd, maybe even not fair. However, that's the way it is. You've spent
    > thousands on a trip which you've planned all year, made all sorts of arrangements
    > both at home and on the journey and then you try to squeeze a few hundred bucks out
    > of it. Sounds reasonable, but the risk is very high, relativly speaking, if you
    > have an automobile accident. Without the coverage you face paying thousands and a
    > very long, very distressful time trying to get any of it back from the insurance
    > companies, or credit card companies. Some vacation!
    >
    > After all that money and planning. Then to have an accident. That would be bad
    > enough but then to have to shell out as much as $3000 U.S. just to be able to get
    > back on a plane to get back home. Just to save a few hundred bucks. For me, there's
    > no question but to go with the low risk solution.

Your call.

OTOH, I don't see why I should pay for insurance twice. Once thru the CC fee, and
then a second time because I don't believe in the first.

And if you end up renting a car for 50-100 days in a year, it adds up.

And anyway, that was not the point. Point was, it may well be the case that in Italy,
you *have to* buy CDW, *EVEN IF* covered already somehow.

Old Mar 29th 2002, 7:05 pm
Nhampton

> >The Capital One Platinum MasterCard (no annual fee)provides collision damage
    > >waiver (only covers the rental car, nothing else) throughout the world. The CDW
    > >provided by any credit card company is always the secondary coverage; meaning that
    > >your personal insurance company is the primary. In the USA this makes the credit
    > >card coverage worthless since your own insurance company will have to pay but
    > >outside of the USA my insurance company and I believe all US insurance companies
    > >do not cover you thus making the credit card insurance the primary carrier. When
    > >I've rented cars in Italy I was told I would have to pay for all damages and would
    > >have to go to the credit card company for reimbursement. You can charge the
    > >damages to your credit card to the extent of your credit limit. All things
    > >considered I'll buy the insurance from the car rental company.
    >
    >
    > NT>>The wisest decision. Credit car insurance is worthless overseas.
    > The proof of the pudding is in the eating, when you come to make the claim for an
    > overseas accident they will deny you. Considering the high cost of even minor
    > damage repairs these days get the maximun coverage you can.

They will not deny your claim. I damaged a car in England and had used my American
Express card to waive the CDW. The credit card paid the damages. I only had to fill
out a form when I returned the car. The rental company handled all details. American
car insurance does not cover you in Europe so your credit card is the primary
insurance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.